1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gen 3 Lighting indecision, Help!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Tacotoast, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Jun 6, 2018 at 12:05 PM
    Tacotoast

Tacotoast [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 OR DCSB 4x4
    Interior LEDs, OEM bedmat & divider, BakFlip MX4, Pro wheels. TRD skid, smoked tails.
    I've been on the mission to improve my lighting situation. I started off by installing these Audew 75w LED's in low and high that came highly recommended for the 3rd gen. They're not. Absolutely useless for anything other than changing the color spectrum. The light output with them was awful. No brighter than OEM, and even worse throw. A shame since they came so highly touted my ride. (2018 Sport).

Right now Im leaning towards staying with halogen bulbs, and running some Flosser 90W H11 bulbs in the low/high beams and possibly the fogs then running them off the battery with a beefed up relay harness since the projectors and reflectors were designed for Halogen. Should I be concerned about the extra wattage if I'm running it all off relays and 14-12ga harness? Does anyone know where I can source a nice set of relay harnesses?

The other was spending a WHOLE lot more money (not an issue) and upgrade the projectors to the lexus RX350's that plug and play and run a nice morimoto HID kit in the lows and the 90W halogens in the high beams coupled with the highs of the bi-xenon... but I'm too much of a pussy to risk ruining a $1500 set of housings baking and separating the glass to do the retrofit.

With that said my aim for the fogs is to match the color balance with whatever I go with and increase the light output. I've considered going yellow but im back and forth on that. I'm most likely going to put those 90W bulbs all around if the fogs accept H11's... which I read in some cases they don't. The owners manual isn't very clear about H11 vs H16. Could it be possible some models only fit H16 and others only H11?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  2. Jun 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM
    XenonDepot

XenonDepot Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
  3. Jun 7, 2018 at 1:09 AM
    Tacotoast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 OR DCSB 4x4
    Interior LEDs, OEM bedmat & divider, BakFlip MX4, Pro wheels. TRD skid, smoked tails.
    I think I'm done with LEDs. The color spectrum and brightness aren't there yet regardless of how much people insist that they are. On top of that I'd need to retrofit projectors designed for LEDs and I'd I were going to get that involved, I'd rather do the rx350 HIDs retrofit.

4. Jun 7, 2018 at 1:27 AM
    elduder

elduder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Van WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue Tundra TRD Pro
    Why not go with just a HID kit to start. It will put out more light than the LEDs and cost a fraction of the retrofit. I've done a retro before on my FJ and considered it with my tacoma in the past but after just doing a morimoto kit I was happy with the results and couldn't justify the additional cost.

5. Jun 7, 2018 at 5:20 AM
    Tacotoast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 OR DCSB 4x4
    Well to my knowledge the stock housings were designed for halogen bulbs. Would HIDs work as well as 90w halogen bulbs?

6. Jun 7, 2018 at 5:34 AM
    elduder

Member:
    Van WA
    Vehicle:
    They were designed for halogen bulbs. Usually the concern with putting a HID in a halogen projector is that there will be excess light escaping at angles that could be distracting to other drivers. When I installed mine I checked it in a large garage in the dark, there was no light being projected above the shutter line in the headlight, so no light that could interfere with oncoming traffic. The cutoff line was decent, not s2k or rx350 sharp. The width of light distribution was better than the stock halogen and the center bloom of light was fuller. There was no doubt that the light output is better than stock and the OE projectors did a better job than I'm used to seeing at keeping the light below the shutter line.

The LEDs Ive seen seem scattered (high+low) and definitely have had narrow projection widths. I dont know if a 35W HID will out perform a 90W halogen, but they will out perform the stock low beams which I think at 55W.

I feel like the return on investment value of a $1500 retro wouldnt be nearly enough to justify the cost over the $150 morimoto kit.

7. Jun 7, 2018 at 5:58 AM
    elduder

Member:
    Van WA
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top