1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

General 2nd Generation Tacoma Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chefnobody, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    chefnobody

chefnobody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Denver, CO
    I posted this earlier but it may not have submitted correctly because I can't find it via search. I apologize if this is a duplicate. Just curious about the 2nd gen vs 1st gen Tacomas. I owned a 2004 and loved it but now I'm considering buying a used 2007 double cab with a long bed.

1. How does the VVTI V6 compare to the V6’s in the 2004 and earlier models? Will it be under-powered going up hills? I don’t tow anything, but do drive up into the mountains here in Colorado. My 2004 was underpowered charging up I-70 into the Rockies. I'd have to push it hard to keep up with traffic and it would usually tack at 4K rpms, easily. Will my experience be the same with the newer V6 technology?

2. Relative to that, what affordable aftermarket modifications can be done to improve power if I find it lacking?

3. How does the long bed handle when off-road compared to the short-bed? Have you guys had any issues with the long bed when off-roading where you wouldn’t have had them in the short-bed?

4. Anyone disappointed with the long bed and wish they had the short-bed instead? If so, why?

5. Can the Toyota factory roof-rails be installed on a taco after market or is that something only a dealership will do at the time of order? I don’t want a roof-mounted after market Yakima or Thule set up, I’d like the ones that are attached to the vehicle.

6. At 112K what kinds of service can I expect to have to perform in the next 6-12 months on this truck? Timing belts? Other?

7. How long can I reasonably expect to drive this truck if I take care of it? 200K? 250K+

Thanks,
    - Aaron

2. Apr 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
  3. Apr 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    I towed a 24' camper roughly 5k lbs. I left it in 4th (auto tran) and held it at about 60-65 for 80 miles and it never down shifted to 3rd on any of the hills I had to climb in north alabama to answer Ur power question I'm impressed.
    Ur gonna have to replace a u joint in a year or so assuming ull drive 20-30k in that time most likely. And possibly brake pads. And id plan on a transmission fluid change if u don't know when it was last changed.

4. Apr 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Hey chefnobody. Just a suggestion, when you do a search just use google search and add Tacoma World in it. It works much better than the search function on this site.

5. Apr 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    RockyMtnTRD

RockyMtnTRD Wanderlust.

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    hack job
    My 2011 v6 has no issue whatsoever going up I70 in CO

Products Discussed in