1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

General Questions about 2nd Gen Long Bed 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chefnobody, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    chefnobody

chefnobody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Denver, CO
    First time posting here. Did a quick search, but didn't see any sort of general question post like this so please forgive me if this is redundant for you:

I'm looking at several used 2005-2011 Tacoma's. Specifically I'm eyeing the 4x4 long bed with the Sport package. Now, I had a 2004 extended cab with the Off-road package and it was glorious. I am now married and about to have a baby so I need a double cab, for sure. My questions are based on my great experience with the 2004 and so I'm trying to get a better idea of what I can expect the experience to be like with the long bed.

1. Is the long bed significantly heavier than the short-bed double cab? Looking at the stats I think the short-bed weighs 4080 lbs and the long bed 4135. Is that about right? I'm guessing its not noticeable but I can't be certain.

2. How does the VVTI V6 compare to the V6's in 2004 and earlier models? I'm not an engine/physics/fluids guy, nor am I technically savvy with motors. Is it generally more powerful than the older engine technology? Will it be under-powered going up hills? I don't tow anything but I do drive up into the mountains in CO and my 2004 V6 tacked at 4000rpms easily when I climbed up into the rockies on. I really had to push it, and I'd like to know if I can generally expect to have the same kind of experience.

3. Relative to that, what affordable aftermarket modifications can be done to improve power if it's lacking?

4. How does the long bed double cab model handle off-road compared to the short-bed? Have you guys had any issues with the long bed when off-road where you wouldn't have had them in the short bed? I probably won't be doing any rock-crawling, but I will be going through snow and wheeling on forrest service roads when possible. I'd prefer the long bed size for functionality, but if it's a significant detriment to the overall use of the truck off-road I might reconsider.

5. Has anyone with the long bed been dissapointed with it? If so, why?

6. Can the Toyota factory roof-rails be installed on a Tacoma after market or is that something only the dealership will do at the time of order? I don't want a roof mounted after market Yakima/Thule set up, I'd like the rails that are attached to the vehicle.

7. I'm considering a 2007 Long bed 4x4 sport with 112k miles. See the link below. I don't know what service has been performed on this truck so I'm curious to know what I can reasonably expect to have to do in the next 6-12 months? Timing belts? Pumps, etc...? Is there anything invasive I might worry about coming up? It seems to be reasonably well taken care of

http://www.loveford.com/used-Loveland-2007-Toyota-Tacoma-Base-5TEMU52N67Z452332

8. About how many more miles can I reasonably expect to put on a motor with 112k already? I wanted to drive my 2004 into the ground but had to trade it in at about 140K so I'd love to know if I can expect to put 100+K miles on this truck given proper maintenance and care. Is that unrealistic?

9. Do you guys have any qualms or issues with newer Tacomas being built in Baja, Mex? I heard tell of rumors/issues with those autos coming out of Mexico. Toyota at one point did all their manufacturing here in the states. What's your sense of the quality of the product coming out of Baja?

That's it. You guys are awesome. Thanks for taking the time read through all this.

2. Apr 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    My thoughts are in red...if you have any other questions, let me know.

3. Apr 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    for what its worth....This was my first truck

[​IMG]

and my current one...

[​IMG]

4. Apr 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    chefnobody

chefnobody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Denver, CO
    The feedback is very much appreciated. My ideal truck is the 2012 (love the new grill and front bumper) with color keyed grille and rear fender. I just can't spring for a 30K+ truck at the moment.

Also, I was thinking 16K would be just the right price out the door. Not sure how excited they are to get rid of it. I might hold off though, we'll see.

Regardless, I really appreciate all the input.

5. Apr 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Why not look for a DCLB NON-TRD model? That would let you afford a newer truck with less miles...maybe even a 2012...

6. Apr 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    Jaws9760

Jaws9760 Active Member

Member:
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport MagGrey
    Bed liner shovel mount, head rest vertical rifle mount, console .380 holster. Tailgate hose clamps & washers. Green LED dome light, Disabled seat belt chime.
    I'm enjoying the hell out of my 2013 TRD Sport DC long bed. My last rig was an '03 Cavalier so I thought the DCLB was going to feel longer than a wagon track. I was totally wrong though, it's still a short truck and whips around just fine in the woods.

7. Apr 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I don't have the double cab long bed, but the access cab with the long bed. I also wanted to vouch for the engine power. I had a 93 SR5 toyota pickup 4x4 with the V6. This tacoma engine is way more powerful and accelerates way faster.

8. Apr 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    DCLB FTMFW

In before the DavidK " the hoodscoop is for looks package " BS

9. Apr 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Haha, yeah...I'm sure it will turn into that...

10. Apr 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    chefnobody

chefnobody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Denver, CO
    I could give a rip about the hood scoop, for the record.

11. Apr 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    chefnobody

chefnobody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Denver, CO
    I like the TRD options, most especially the color keyed grille/bumper. There are also some other bits like the sliding rear window and others that are important to me.

12. Apr 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You know the Sport models don't have a locker right ?

13. Apr 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    chefnobody

chefnobody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Denver, CO
    Yep. I think only the off road package has that, right? I needed it once on my '04 in Mexico, but that's it in the nearly 10 years I owned it. With BFG All Terrain's and the 4x4 I was rarely ever stuck.

I'm not a big rock crawler type either, so I figured the off-road isn't necessary.

14. Apr 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    K

I've never had any issues with my DCLB Sport 4x4 as far as getting where I need to go , no rock crawling for me either

15. Apr 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    chefnobody

chefnobody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Denver, CO
    Speaking of the off-road package on the short-beds and non-double cabs, what if any advantages other than the locker does it provide? Specs say it has a beefier suspension, perhaps some better shocks, is that it? Down hill assist control, etc...? Are those worth the extra couple $K?

16. Apr 5, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Offroad has locker, ATRAC, front tow hook, "offroad tuned suspension" as opposed to "sport tuned suspension". Downhill assist is on both offroad and sport automatics. The ATRAC and locker are the big differences. It's really up to the individual buying whether its worth it or not. For me it was worth it.

17. Apr 5, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    802Tacoma

802Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    I currently have an '08 double cab long bed. I have two kids still in car seats that fit well in the back. I am tall so it does get a little tight but not uncomfortable. I put a cap on it when I had kids. As far as power, I have a 16' double axle trailer that I use for firewood and other stuff and has always pulled it easily. I had the leaf spring TSB done but still have significant sag so I am going to get the firestone ride rites. As far as offroading is concerned, I have always gotten where I need to go. Living in Vermont, driving on paved roads is like offroading. Any turn off a main road turns to dirt and mud. Always handled mud season well. It handles snow and crap weather well, recommend snow tires and a little weight. I do agree with the other member about holding out for a truck with a few less miles, especially if you want to drive into the ground. Someone trading in a truck with 112000 miles on probably hammered the hell out of it for that time. Hope I helped, good luck. You won't be disappointed whatever you buy.
    Cheers

18. Apr 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    True in a '09 and newer Offroad 4x4

OP said he was looking at 05-11

19. Apr 5, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    That price is ridiculous...check out kbb for it.

20. Apr 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    NCTaco09

NCTaco09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    bumper
    Yup. I've taken my Taco places I used to take my wrangler. Taco did just fine, maybe even a little better in low 4. I have a 09 SR5. The only thing the wrangler has on my taco is turning radius, but then again it's a truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top