1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Generalspringkc.com HD Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Tmill, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Jan 27, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    TacomaJay09

TacomaJay09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    How much were these when you purchased them?

2. Jan 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    OverPar

OverPar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Light bar (X3 Hella), Thule/OEM RR, Avid OR BO Sliders, TRS Projector HL (BHLM), 5100s F/Rear @ 1.75
    They (I have the HDs) were $443 shipped to CT. They're in Kansas City. Pic of 2 weeks in shot will have to wait till tomorrow. Kids had me busy after work. I could say I'll do it later tonight but I'll forget.....or pass out on the couch.....both.

3. Jan 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM
    OverPar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Light bar (X3 Hella), Thule/OEM RR, Avid OR BO Sliders, TRS Projector HL (BHLM), 5100s F/Rear @ 1.75
    I'm pretty happy w/them so far Jay09. If you're worried about the height, get the 3 leaf version. I haul shit from time to time. I mentioned before but I had the u bolts custom made at a spring shop for $50. As you can see from the pics they're a little longer but the bolts as well as the nuts are much better quality over the stocks as well. Shop thru them on for $120. So I'm in for $610. Completely ok w/that. One year warranty on the packs.

4. Jan 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    OverPar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    The shitty ass OEM ones run $600 a piece here. And as we know they're complete crap. And, I didn't check but I'm guessing they (dealer) would have banged me for at least $250 for install. Another shop wanted to sell me garbage for $400 a piece and charge me $340 for labor. I'm not going back to that shop again. That's douchebaggy. I can't stand that type of crap. I'd do them myself but I dont have a lot of free time. Only been two weeks. Hope they work out.

5. Jan 28, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    OverPar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Pic today, two weeks after install:
    [​IMG]

6. Jan 29, 2014 at 4:55 AM
    drewp

drewp Well-Known Member

Member:
    south Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '14 Sport/DCLB
    Thanks for the pics! It looks to me like there wasn't that much of a drop after 2 wks. I am so on the fence about this option (actually leaning against it). It looks like a significant raise in the rear-end AND as a previous post of mine described...that General spring told me it would only give me about a 15-20% increase in my load carrying capacity over my stock (2014) springs. I'm leaning toward Timbrens. Cheaper...no lift...there when I need them (under load)...not doing anything when I don't need them. Probably works best for me cause my stock springs are in "new" condition AND I don't haul heavy loads regularly. I suppose this is a good option for you guys who have had OEM spring failure.

7. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM
    TacomaJay09

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    I see from the pics that you guys are using your stock shocks. Are you having any issues with the stock shocks being the right length? My HD springs arrived today, and I'm trying to match a new pair of Bilsteins and want to get the right length. 5100's are good for up to 2" of lift but if you are using stockers an they are fine, the 5100's should also be fine.

8. Jan 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    TacomaJay09

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    Don't forget that the lift isn't as much as you may think or how it appears because the OEM's sagged so much. Much of the lift is just bringing it back to normal.

9. Jan 31, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    OverPar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Good point Jay. The ride seems fine w/the stock shocks so far. I'd imagine 5100s would be fine as well. I may do 5100s later. I'm at 60k, so maybe 90. That's when I did them on my 02. The next change will be this shitty ass radio.

jayqwellin likes this.
  10. Jan 31, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    OverPar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    .....I do zero off roading. It's my DD and I do haul things occasionally.

jayqwellin likes this.
  11. Aug 23, 2014 at 5:05 AM
    OverPar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Another update to old thread:
    Had 5100s installed. Springs are holding up great. Pic is a little dark but these seem to pair better w these packs than stock.
    [​IMG]

jayqwellin likes this.
  12. Aug 25, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    jpachard

jpachard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4WD 4.0L Tacoma 6spd TRD
    What size U bolts did you guys purchase for these leaf springs? I'm planning on getting the 90-297HD springs.

Cheers, James

13. Aug 25, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    TacomaJay09

Member:
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    None Yet
    They have the u-bolt dimensions listed with the springs on the website and you can buy them right from General.

14. Aug 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    jpachard

Member:
    Vehicle:

Awesome, thanks, just ordered them up.

Cheers, James

15. Sep 16, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    firstnamemike

firstnamemike Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Access Cab 2.7L manual
    Old Man Emu N140S NitroCharger Front Strut Set Old Man Emu 2885 Front Coil Set, General Spring rear springs, Bilstein rear shocks
    I really appreciate your review. I will buy the General leaf springs for my 2005 Tacoma

16. Sep 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    jpachard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All, I replaced my springs a couple weeks ago and it was a cinch, had it done in 3hrs. Got the springs from SD truck springs along with the U-bolts(460$ shipped with U-bolts). They called out 7" length U-bolts but 6" would work as well.

A couple notes on the install:
    1. Definitely get new U-bolts, being able to cut the old ones off makes it a super easy job.
    2. Clean out the areas where the springs mount to the body prior to installing the new ones, makes the install much quicker.
    3. Re torque the U-bolt nuts after a couple days of driving as things on my truck seemed to settle in.

The ride quality is much better now and with 5100's on all four corners(front set at 1.75" of lift), the truck as a slight rake but levels out nicely with my dirtbike in the back or with the trailer hooked up.

GsuEagle18 and ChadsPride like this.
  17. Dec 8, 2014 at 4:58 AM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    Nice write up. Thank you for the info. I am thinking of getting these. Did you have any issues with the emergence brake cable bracket?

18. Dec 8, 2014 at 10:51 AM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    Dos anyone have any experience using the H D springs and putting a shell on as to how much they would settle?

19. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:01 AM
    OverPar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Another update to keep this thing rolling along......
    I don't have a shell on the back but I do haul pellets from time to time and the springs don't noticeably sag at all. This after they've been on for a year.

Other info, I received a recall notice in Nov about the leafs. (There's a long ongoing g thread on this issue). I called the # on the first recall and got a case number. Not sure how it's going to go, but I saved all my reciepts and took photos and will submit once the final recall (second letter) is issued. According to the recall rep from Toyota, I take the second letter to a dealer and have them inspect the truck, install new leaf packs, and they check off that the recall is complete. Then mail in the second notice, recipes and get reimbursement. The tricky part for me is probably going to be getting the dealer to agree to sign off on the recall that my install is satisfactory without putting g on the new leaf packs so I can get reimbursement.

I'm done with Toyota and their shitty ass parts. I dintend want their leaf pack then and I don't want it now. I've been in a Tacoma for 13 years and this is my last. Between this, some other smaller issues and my noisy ass clutch that they're fucking me on, the can kiss my ass. (I got the clutch repair kit from urd but have to pay to have it installed myself)....end rant.

20. Jun 10, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    Dilleytech

Dilleytech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jakob
    White salmon, Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 4x4
    Front ARB bumper, LR UCA's, OME 885/90021 struts, Ome shocks rear, general springs HD leaf pack.
    I'm pretty excited about installing my general HD springs this weekend with full Ome front struts. These just seem like the perfect spring for someone who doesn't carry 500# back there all the time. They look sharp and the anti friction pads between the leafs hopefully crush any chance of a squeek like I have had since I bought my 07.. When you installed them there is a bolt through the middle of the pack that seems a little loose.. Did you torque that down any?

ChadsPride likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top