1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Generation Kill

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by tacomathunder, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    I have been watching my Generation Kill DVD's and i have a couple of questions for any Marines here on TW.....

1. Multiple times the Marines seem vocally unhappy about being in "open-top" humvees....so what do recon Marines usually drive in when going to battle?

2. Is Generation Kill realistic in the aspect of the higher ups being pushed around by the NCO's? like when gunny sgt. Griego tells Lt. Fick that he is way out of line, and needs to be repremanded of his command... I didnt think that NCO's could get away with that.

3. and what did you think of the series overall??? realistic? even in the down times?

2. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    not a marine but enjoyed the series. i think it was even better then the Pacific, but not Band of Brothers.

3. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    Infantry11b

Infantry11b Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Bone Stock
    Can't speak for the Marines but coming from an Army Infantryman's point of view it was a broad view of life in Iraq with the normal "Hollywood" BS thrown in here and there. It depicted the boredom that happens when there is no action well. The antics and pranks that were in the series summed up pretty well what happens when you put a bunch of dudes together in a shitty place. There's a whole lot of ball busting that happens in the military and its more prevalent in combat arms. It also depicted the typical combat arms attitude pretty good.

As far as the whole NCO and Officer relationship goes. Any good LT knows that the NCO's make shit happen. On the Army side of things a good LT will listen and learn from the NCO's he works with. The hard charging ball busting LT's haven't really figured out their place. Everyone knows an LT technically outranks a SFC but everyone also knows the LT fresh out of college doesn't know shit about the military compared to the SFC that has been in 10-20 years. That said, in a combat zone shit can get heated and arguments happen.

4. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    first off i have to thank you so much for you service, i really appreciate it...its people like you i look up to......
    also i have to completely agree with you about the fresh Lt, and th SFC with experience....but the way it was portrayed, gunny sgt griego was just as fresh as Lt. Fick, but it just seemed like the sgt didnt like Lt, and he would do anything for him to get shit canned

5. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    Infantry11b

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Bone Stock
    It's cool man, we appreciate the support.

It has been a while since I watched the series so I don't remember the details real well about the feud between the two. However, it does happen and sometimes in the military politics do come into play and if someone doesn't like someone else they will do anything they can to get rid of them. There was a time when we had a cherry LT come in as our platoon leader and get in a bind with the Platoon Sgt. and next thing you know that LT is no longer our PL but is working in one of the S shops.

On the other hand that isn't something that happens real often because usually the LT is smart enough to know that he doesn't know everything. I have had some really great PL's that I would follow into hell. They just need to know that there is NCO business and Officer business and the two are separate. NCO's hate it when Officer get into their business and start trying to do our job.

6. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:52 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    yeah, thats pretty good, i can see why some Lt's would be hated by some, when they can be royal pricks to the men..... i mean, when i graduate college in 3 years im planning on joining the army or the air force, i havent decided between the 2 yet, and from all my friends that have joined the military i have heard that there are plenty of a-holes that just call in arty, or will do anything to rank up and earn medals.... its amazing to me that that kind of stuff is gotten away with

7. Mar 22, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    Infantry11b

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Bone Stock
    Alot of that is the "Hollywood" spin that producers love to throw into movies though. The prick LT and the NCO fued...makes for good TV. It's not like an everyday occurrence but yes it does still happen. There will be prick leaders in any branch of the military and there will be great leaders in any branch of the military.

8. Mar 22, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    yeah thats true... so how do you like the army? im trying to get as much info on both the army and the air force....so any little bit very very appreciated

9. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    CoalMedic

CoalMedic Molon Labe

Member:
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blazing Blue Pearl SR5
    To add to what Infantry 11b was saying...
    I completely agree with you. I was never a platoon sgt, but I was handed a squad of 10 of the best Marines I could ever have asked for, with their lives in my hands. We fought, cried, and bled together. My platoon commander was a bit of a sot at times, and we got into it a few times. I may or may not have said, "Sir, if you ever call me a fucked up NCO again, I'm going to shoot you where you stand." This was after a firefight at the end of a foot patrol in Fallujah, and he didn't think my Marines and I had accomplished the mission thoroughly enough. I also may or may not have offered to trade stripes for bars for a day so I could sit at the firm base and drink coffee and let him patrol and kick down doors. This after we had yet another patrol that made contact. I was tired, strung out, and really pissed off. It happens in any branch, it's just played up A LOT more for the cameras.

That being said, my first PC was the most badass of badass. He knew what leadership was and demonstrated it daily. I'd follow that man to hell and back with a cupful of spit and an E-tool.

To the OP, look at which branch will give you the most satisfaction at the end of the day, and join that one. If you lean more to enjoying a structured environment, working with like minded people, and getting paid to do really cool stuff, then go Army. The Air Force has some real badasses as well, what with the PJ's, Pararescue, some areas of Security Forces, but imho the AF as a whole is like a big ass tech union. 0800-1630, then off to the squash court.

Of course, I can't let this end without a plug for the Corps. Best time of my life, and I miss it daily. I saw this on a bumper sticker somewhere: "You will die. I will die a Marine." OORAH.

Whichever branch you decide on, know there will be good days and bad. It will be the best job you ever hated.

10. Mar 23, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    first off like i said to infantry 11b, thank you for you service, if theres anyone with an appreciation for our troops, its me....but yeah i figured they played it a little high for the cameras, knowing that it still happens in real life..... In my mind the corps have always been there as a choice, but for some reason im doubting my abilities to make it through the famous training. I was leaning more toward army because i do want to be an infantry man. Can you give me some insight on what you did during the basic, because im trying to find out as much as i can you know..lol...and once again, thanks for your service!

11. Mar 23, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    CoalMedic

CoalMedic Molon Labe

Member:
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blazing Blue Pearl SR5

The thanks are much appreciated.

Since you're graduating college, are you considering joining the officer ranks or going enlisted? How you answer will guide my advice (and the other sage military guys/gals on here), that's the only reason I ask.

12. Mar 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    Haha, well I haven't fully decided on that yet, they both have their plusses, and I like them both..... I think I want to do OCS, so as a 2nd LT, I van lead a platoon, and still be amount the men

13. Mar 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    Infantry11b

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Bone Stock
    The Army was the best and worst times of my life all rolled into one mess of shit that I wouldn't trade for anything. I was active duty for 5 years with the 10th Mountain Division and I have since left active duty and joined the National Guard where I have been ever since. You will meet people who will become the best of lifelong friends. I know I can call up anyone of my brothers from my active duty days and ask for anything and without question they have my back.

I don't like to compare branches of the military because they all have their importance and purpose. I will say this though, me personally...I couldn't imagine being anything but a combat arms MOS. When I joined it was between the Marines and the Army. The Army just so happened to offer me a $20K bonus that helped entice my decision. I could have just as easily seen myself as a 0311 Marine Infantryman. I just picked the branch that offered me what I thought to be the best offer. I will say this, having worked with Marines, they have a shitload of pride compared to the Army and I have to respect that. There's always ball busting between the branches of service but the fact remains, an Infantryman is an Infantryman Marines or Army. Ball busting aside I think we all have a mutual respect for each other.

I can't speak for the Air Force because honestly I rarely ever worked with any of them. I know they have some high speed low drag dudes like Combat Controllers and PJ's. Those dude make me look like a pussy haha. Just pick whatever interests you man. Do your research and talk to people who have been in the MOS that you are interested in. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a contract for a MOS that you hate.

I hear you man. We have all had those days where you are tired, bruised, and bloody where someone rubs you the wrong way. Sometimes you just have to let them know that they may be running the platoon but that squad is yours. Thankfully, I have had a few good PL's that don't question my judgment and know that if I did something that there was a damn good reason for it.

14. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    well, i definately want to be on the ground, air force i wanted to be part of the ground forces, but infantryman really interests me a lot.... I like to be in the action if you will. To me its Army, Marines, or Air Force...they are all great, but just the idea of being in the infantry just makes me excited for the oppertunities i have for me

15. Mar 24, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    If you're interested in Marine OCS, read the book "One Bullet Away" by Lt Flick. It was his version of "Generation Kill" and it goes through his training and Afghanistan experience. I thought it was a much better book than Gen Kill. I liked the mini series though. I attended Marine OCS and it was freakin tough. Broke my leg there.

16. Mar 24, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    Oh wow, how did you do that??

17. Mar 24, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Stress fractures. Its a common injury there. Mine eventually broke. Its a bad ass program, you will be tested. I had to wait a yr to go back. But when I graduated I applied to everything and when I got back my application to the AF reserves got accepted. They said I would leave for training immedietly....but no it was over a yr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top