1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Get Your Ass Ran Over w/2.7 in Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by NDTransplant, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:04 AM
    NDTransplant

NDTransplant [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dodgeville, WI
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR AccessCab 2.7 liter 4x4 Auto
    LOL hello Tacoma owners. Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I have a 2014 2-door Jeep Rubicon that is seeing WAY less trail use than was originally planned, and am thinking of selling it and getting into a Tacoma.

Considering a 4x4 2.7 AccessCab, mainly to keep purchase price down, and there is some appeal to the ‘simple’ motor, I guess.

This truck would not be subject to big lifts, 35” tires, lockers, etc., just the occasional mild trail type/forest road stuff. I do go in and out of Phoenix a fair amount for parts runs, etc., for work. (Live in Casa Grande)

I know the ‘2.7 vs anything else’ has been debated endlessly pros/cons, just thought I would ask owners that live where I live if they have experience with or what they think of this configuration for AZ. It would be the 6-speed auto.

I test drove a 2.7 6-speed Auto, but it was one of those right-turn-only-frontage-road type of test drives. Lol

Thank you.

2. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    RPS1030

RPS1030 Well-Known Member

Member:
    2ndGenJonny and TACOVRD like this.
  3. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:40 AM
    Daria

Daria Can I pet your dog? Moderator

Member:
    Dodging tumbleweeds
    Vehicle:
    381 HP dog mover
    As Ryan said above, mine is priced right for quick sale.

I moved here from SC a few months ago. My truck has seen a 4wd trail or two ( :spy: ) and completed with ease (with picking solid lines). I still get decent MPGs with my tires and they’re quiet, 35s would ruin MPGs. Used to run steel plate bumper, RTT, rack, etc with this truck but recently put her back to almost stock, suspension stayed but everything else was swapped. She’s been very good to me. It’s the perfect rig for FS roads and mild trail runs.

DavesTaco68 and TACOVRD like this.
  4. Jan 22, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    NDTransplant

Member:
    Dodgeville, WI
    Vehicle:
    This would be with the 6-speed auto.

I do go up to the Pinetop area 2-3 times a year; only with a MTB bike (pedal) and camping gear though.

It would be an adjustment, I’m sure. I think the Jeep is 260HP, and my company truck is an F-150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost. Lots-o-power there! Lol

5. Jan 22, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    NDTransplant

Member:
    Dodgeville, WI
    Vehicle:
    Point well-taken!!

I’ll think this over a bit.

0uTkAsT likes this.
  6. Jan 22, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    NDTransplant

Member:
    Dodgeville, WI
    Vehicle:
    Oh I definitely understand your position.

I remember my 1980 Celica...wow...you had to really plan out the passing sequence in that baby! If it were to happen at all!

I’ve learned a lot already from this forum and from your many posts, Josh. Thank you.

0uTkAsT likes this.
  7. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    Nitori

Nitori Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R SR5
    Just to add another data point for you, I've owned a 2016 with the config you are thinking about (2.7L and 6AT) for almost 2 years now.

To put it simply, I don't regret it for one second. The transmission could be better, but not to the point where I think "shit, this was a mistake."

I wouldn't quite put it that way, though I do admit I have gotten a bit more zen about flow of traffic in my "old age" ;) my Tacoma represents breaking a 10-year stint of turbocharged daily drivers.

The 2.7 motor itself is wonderful. Textbook definition of a flat torque curve, puts in decent mileage, and crazy reliable. I added an LCE Header and it really gives you a noticeable increase in grunt. Merges like a champ. Requires a little foresight setting up passing maneuvers, but nothing crazy. I haven't even so much looked at the ECT Power button aside from when it's time to climb a steep grade at 4,000+ feet.

The problem child is really the transmission. It does come stock with 4.30 gearing, but when you look at a graph of the 6AT gear ratios, the problem becomes apparent:
    [​IMG]
    (The Vmax is theoretical gearing top speed, not achievable top speed by the way. :rofl: )

The 3-4-5 gap is what really busts your balls on those mountain passes. 6th is such a deep overdrive that it is essentially useless for anything other than flat grades or downhill. 5th is an okay overdrive, but maybe still a little on the deep side. 4th is 1:1 so if 5th isn't cutting it 4th will pick up the slack, but you'll see a large jump in RPM. And then, 4th can't quite cut it on really steep grades at high altitude and you will scream into 3rd... you won't lose speed on the grades but you will have to bury your foot and listen to the engine give its all.

If I had a magic wand I would make 5th the new 6th, and then split the 5-4 ratios a bit more evenly after 3rd. That said, it really doesn't bother me to the point that I would actually pay any appreciable sum to re-gear the transmission.

8. Jan 24, 2018 at 8:58 AM
    Nitori

Nitori Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R SR5
    Good point about 2WD, a hundred and change fewer pounds is not insignificant, plus there is some drag to 4WD even when it is turned off.

And the LCE header is just such a beautiful piece for a reasonable price, I'd say it's required. :D I was okay with the power level beforehand for what it's worth.

But yeah I wasn't trying to force a decision one way or another, just giving my perspective and input. If you're not happy with test driving a 2.7 it's not going to magically get better once you sign for it.

9. Jan 25, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    NDTransplant

Member:
    Dodgeville, WI
    Vehicle:
    Guys- I surely do appreciate the detailed responses regarding this 2.7 question which I know has been BEAT TO DEATH- and thanks for the detailed responses to the 'low post-count' guy, as well...

I was gonna head over to AutoNation in Tempe and see if I could rent one of their used 2017's that they have with the Toyota RentACar thing (not even sure if they would have rented a Tacoma) but I guess they just quit the car rental business, LOL.

Those right-turn only, service-road test drives are not a very accurate reflection of a vehicles characteristic, whether it's underpowered pickups or Corvettes...

0uTkAsT likes this.
  10. Jan 25, 2018 at 4:29 PM
    RPS1030

RPS1030 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not sure if it was a full AutoNation thing, but when I was looking 2 trucks ago, AN Ford Scottsdale tossed me the keys to a Certified Used F150 and said go drive wherever/however you want.

Products Discussed in

To Top