1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gettin' a New Knife

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by ABregenzer, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mar 25, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    8BoltRacing

8BoltRacing Custom Fabrication and Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Greensburg PA
    Vehicle:
    The Angry Warthog
    DO 3 hoop, Wheelers HD Leaf Set w/ES poly bushings, OME 884X Coils, 5100's, Selfmade Satoshi, Single beam headlights, Fogs anytime, high beams with low beams mod, ABS kill switch, AMSOIL fluids in everything, K&N Intake, TB Spacer, FAL Electric Fan and TRD Rad Cap, DT Long Tubes, URD Y-pipe w/xtra O2 bungs and 3" v-band , Custom 3-inch Exhaust w/v-band and 3030XL Aero turbine muffler and Aero 3040 tip, URD Fuel Pump Upgrade, B&M Short Shifter, EBC Dimpled and Slotted Rotors with EBC Yellowstuff pads, Pulseplugs, HIDs: Fogs 3000k, Highs 4300k, Lows 8000k, URD Throwout Bearing Repair kit, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel+Competition Clutch Stage 4
    I love my Spyderco's :)

2. Mar 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    Wren

Wren Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Williamsburg, Ky
    Vehicle:
    11 White Reg. Cab 4x4
    +1 for Crkt, I have had one for almost 2 yrs. Dropped it plenty and still works like I just got it out of the box with the help of a little knife oil.

3. Mar 26, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    Kinda like when I turned 18. I went out to the gun shop and paid cash for a Bushmaster AR, several 30rd mags, a few hundred rounds of ammo, and decided while I was there to get some ammo for my .22 rifle. "Sorry, I can't sell them to you because they could be used in a pistol.":rolleyes:

4. Mar 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I hear you, I served my first three years in the Army with my primary issue weapon a .45 pistol, which, as I was not yet 21, was illegal for me to purchase and own. Off-base I had to limit myself to black powder revolvers.

5. Mar 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I have one of these and personally I think its way to small. also if I flick it open to fast the lock move to far over on the bottom of the balde and get wedged in place and is a bitch to get closed. It was also only 20 bucks, not $40 like the CRKT site lists

i think this will be my next knife purchase. ka bar TDI
    [​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZEH30RB6GQJ6JFCJWT0

fast forward to around the 5 min mark, they do timed demo's that show how fast you can pull one of these vs. a normal folder knife.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZivRcSnPyw

6. Mar 26, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    I've been liking my Spyderco Delica 4 FFG. Just a simple, quality, no frills knife

7. Mar 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    lol, go to Walmart, they never give me trouble at 19 (or when i was 18 and I was buying for a pistol and a rifle)

and who says .223 can't be used in a handgun? (I assume .223 because of AR....I may be wrong)

Check out the variants section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Raging_Bull

8. Mar 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    This "tactical knife" craze sort of baffles me. However, that TDI serrated blade would be good for paramedics to carry as we mostly use knives to saw through things like seat belts anyway. I'd blunt the end so I wouldn't poke a patient though.

9. Mar 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    for paramedics I would say that this http://www.benchmade.com/products/916

would be pretty good.....to me it would seem like this would be better than the TDI since the TDI comes with a sharp point and it seems you would have to take a lot of metal off for it to be a point that you wouldn't have to worry about

10. Mar 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
  11. Mar 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
  12. Mar 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I kind of like the TDI's bent handle, which would allow it to be easily-accessible, easy to re-holster and usable in a sawing motion. In EMS I carried partially serrated Buck folders with the point ground round but that Benchmade folder looks like a nice one. I like the color too -- I've lost several knives and other equipment at accident scenes.

Edit:

I see that knife has a glass breaker. I wonder how good it would be? We used automatic center punches to break tempered glass.

13. Mar 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    t4daddy

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I agree on the true knife edge. But just because it says prototype doesn't mean anything, MicroTech always releases a couple of versions of a new knife, before the production runs start. Those, (marked prototype) command way more money, and are more sought after by collectors because the numbers produced are so low.

14. Mar 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    Damn. Thanks. My brother is friends with a sales rep. I'll try

15. Mar 26, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Without reading everyone else's opinions, I too have a CKRT and think it is a great knife. I got it as a Christmas present one year after my wife spent the better part of a day talking to a guy at a local outdoor outfitter. i think she made a wise choice.

However, I carry a Buck knife around most of the time for general purpose...opening boxes and such. I like the smaller blade i got on the Buck knife, and it doesn't hurt that it has a bottle opener (or at least something I use as such) on the other end.

Both good knives...

...but in the end, it all depends on what you are using it for. Look at the metal used for the blade and see how well the knife fits in your hand. Open and close it a few times. See if there is any "play" between the blade and the handle. You can spot a cheap knife pretty quickly this way.

16. Mar 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    tonyplanet

tonyplanet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    enough to get me there
    I have a benchmade 672sbx Apparition serrated blade, Osborne design spring assusted which use to be my EDC. Now I have a Spyderco Delicate II as my EDC.

Spyderco although its made in Japan, the blade is a notch above my American made Benchmade. And my Spyderco was only $76 on sale compared to my $139 Benchmade. Although they are two different designs, you would expect the Benchmade to have better steel.

I wouldn't overlook Spyderco. As far as EDC you will appreciate the slimmer profile of the Spyderco Dleica II.

Another popular one is the Benchmade mini griptillian. I don't have personal experience with it , but I have heard good things about it, and I think its just a few more bucks than the Spyderco Delica. But, it isn't as slim profile as the Spyderco.
    I would like to support American made like Benchmade, but I would expect to get steel that is worth its cost, and this is where I feel that Benchmade falls short.

17. Mar 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    nermalgod

nermalgod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    I carry a big tactical folder, the M16-14SFG. It's a big heavy knife that makes people step back when you deploy it to open a cardboard box. Overkill? Perhaps, but the grip fits my large hands so nicely and I never have to worry about it falling out of my pocket unnoticed. Your pants feel lighter, you hear the clunk as it hits the ground, and if it opened; the pool of blood where your toe once was is a sure sign you need to pick up your knife. The double flippers make opening the knife easy, and the auto-lock feature is comforting when hacking through something large. You'll never worry about your fingers slipping towards the blade.

[​IMG]
    The Veff serrations are super easy to sharpen with the right tool. The offset angle of the serrations makes this knife tear through content. I've cut through 1.5" tree branches with this knife acting like a saw.

Go out and buy the CRKT Veff serration sharpening rods. They are graduated in size which makes reproducing the factory edge easy to do.
    [​IMG]

18. Mar 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If you don't mind breaking out the hones when you get home every day.

That became the running joke at work about my Gerbers.
    Oops... used the Gerber, going to have to sharpen it!

19. Mar 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    t4daddy

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Gerber "used" to be some good knives, I think they still make some that are, but not the Walmart crap. I've never seen S&W that I would own, (China car bumper steel) maybe the're are some I'm not up on...

20. Mar 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ya... I still like Gerber multitools, but not for their blades.

They've sold out and are cashing in on Bear's name (stick BG on a Suspension and charge $30 more for it).
    But for the most part with blades, you get what you pay for.
    A $20 Gerber will be a very good.... $20 blade.
    Same for any sub-$50+/- Kershaw or Spyderco.

Spend $100 to $200 and you're looking at a quality knife that will hold an edge, and TAKE an edge on the hones.
    My Sog Vulcan was an awesome knife when new, but I just have not been able to bring that edge back. OTOH, my Cold Steel Recon only needs sharpening once every 3-4 months, and I can bring it back to factory-sharp in 30 minutes (I'll spend an hour on one of my straight razors to give you an idea of my attention to the edge).

I do need to buy the special stone that Lansky sells for the Cold Steel serrations. I bought CS blades for Christmas for the guys I work with, and of course, they bring them to me to sharpen. I think one of the guys has been using the serrations to saw through 8ga copper wire :eek:

To Top