1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting back in the game

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by mntbiker2008, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Aug 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 [OP] First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    Came across the Suzuki C50- C90. Fuel injection, Liquid cooled, shaft drive, disc brakes front/rear.

Don't know much about the reliability of these bikes but I am guessing they are good considering I see them out quite a bit. If I can find one of these bikes for a good price, I would rather go with that than the shadow mainly because I won't have to mess with carbs.

2. Aug 5, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    They're sweet machines :cool:

I don't know much about the long term reliability but none of my buddies have issues with theirs and I would kill to have a fuel injected bike and be done with the f-in carbs...

3. Aug 5, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    haha yeah I will do anything I can to get away from carbs. I hate them and I don't know how to work on them so every time I have to have carb work done it is $$$$$$$. I probably ought to jump on to a suzuki forum or something and see if there are any common issues with those models.

4. Aug 5, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    The VTX are heavy bikes, like any other large cruiser, but they are set very low so they're aren't that bad to handle, especially since you have cycle experience already.

I can't speak to the Suzuki; the only experience I have with those and Kawasakis is w/ sportbikes.

If you are really considering something bigger, what do you think of the Yamaha Warrior? Big fuel injected engine, comfy and fast!

5. Aug 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed

Carbs are a PITA... After owning several older motorcycles with carbs I don't even work on my friends basket-cases they just got in trade for a 12-pack...

As far as the Suzuki's go, the "50" engine has been around for quite a few years, just more commonly known as an 800. If memory serves correctly they were available in the "Marauder" line of motorcycles. The "90" I think comes from the old Savage line-up and has been around forever also. Depending on the kind of riding you plan on doing (short runs/commuting vs. long highway jaunts/touring) kind of dictates the size you should probably look into.

Not sure of your riding background but, for me personally, I stay away from motorcycles with forward controls...they take a bit of getting used to and I kinda like having my feet below or behind me. That just seems more natural for taking off from stop-lights and even trying to get off the seat over a big bump.

6. Aug 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Have not ever heard of the Warrior. I will check that out too! Thanks!

Thanks a lot for the info! I am mainly planning on commuting (20 miles round trip to work and about 40 round trip from school). I also want to do some touring with the bike as well but it wont be anything crazy like cross country.

I have seen some c50's with pegs and others with floorboards. From the sounds of it after reading a few threads on suzuki forums, they make aftermarket forward controls to put the controls out even more. I have never ridden with floorboards or forward controls so that may take some getting used to.

Gonna have to ride one to see if I like the controls up that far. I have longer legs so I may like it more. I always felt like a monkey trying to fuck a football on that shadow I had.

7. Aug 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed

The Shadows seem like kinda smallish bikes to me to be honest. A friend had a Honda Shadow Spirit, the one with fwd controls and the flame decals and a little bling here and there, the only thing I really didn't like was the forward controls on any motorcycle. Highway pegs are one thing for long cruises and give you a chance to stretch your legs but being required to seemingly have to jump up when taking off from a stop-light or putting a foot down at a stop sign seemed like more effort than they were worth to me. Granted, I'm 6'1 with a 34" inseam, your size may fit them better. Normally going over railroad tracks and speed bumps I stand up and let the bike take the hits, with forward controls that's kinda out of the question it would seem to me, or sitting on a hill trying to take off or holding the bike there, you'd be required to manipulate the front brake and throttle at the same time to get it back underway. Hope that makes some sense as to why I'm an anti-forward control guy.

8. Aug 6, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I definitely see why you aren't a fan of them. In some ways they seem more of a hindrance than a benefit.

9. Aug 6, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I like my kawi vulcan..Mines an 800, but after having it a few years im ready for something a little bigger. Easy to work on, and requires little to no maintaince.

10. Aug 6, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    that was another I checked out. What year do you have? Carbs (cant remember after looking at specs)?

11. Aug 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Just got back from riding a family members c90t. That thing was very nice. A little heavy at lower speeds but handled fine. I think the weight of the c50 would be just fine. Overall it was an awesome bike. Very smooth and I loved the running boards. Scraped them once around a turn. Little bit of a butt puckering experience at first haha.

Products Discussed in

To Top