1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting Lifted

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Dagostino480, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Jul 11, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    Dagostino480

Dagostino480 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD sport 4door
    Bad ass air freshener
    I am about ready to purchase lift components for my 2014 Trd Sport! I originally wanted to go Icon but have since changed my mind. After talking back and forth with the lovely people at headstrong I am confident that these parts should make me happy and suit my needs. Hopefully buy once and cry once..... until of course, the truck is paid off and someone starts an evil group buy on LT parts. The purpose of this thread is to make sure I have done the proper research and will have everything excluding wheels, tires, and tools to properly lift my vehicle safely. If you guys recommend any changes or see that I am missing something please chime in. Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Here is the list!

ADS 2.5" extended travel coilovers with RR and 650lb coil
    ADS 2.5" extended travel piggyback rear shocks
    Camburg 1.25" uniball upper control arms
    OME Dakar leaf Package - Light Duty
    Extended u-bolts
    Full bushing and sleeve kit
    OME cb drop bracket
    24" extended length rear brake lines

Side notes: The truck will be paired with 17" method mesh wheels and cooper stt pros most likely in 285/70/r17 with a cab chop thingy. It will also have a kbvoodoo mid height bed rack and a c4 fab lo pro front bumper w/o a winch. Oh and during this whole ordeal you better believe I am going to renew my bad ass air freshener!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Jul 11, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    MadRiverTaco

MadRiverTaco Join TW, they said. It's free, they said.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black DCSB TRD OR "Caroline"
    King 2.5 Ext. w/ Compression Adjusters (Front & Rear), Dakars w/ D29XL, TC UCA's & LCA's, ARE CX, 17" SEMA Pro's, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, BORA spacers, Rigid Side shooter ditch lights, ATHF bedside reinforcements, OME carrier bearing drop bracket, extended rear brake lines, Northstar 27F battery, Yakima Jetsream crossbars, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, TRD Pro grill, URD TCAI, 5.7L Throttle Body, BensonX bedside tool mounts, fire extinguisher bedside mount, AMP research bed step, Redline Tuning hood struts, ECGS needle bearing mod, CV Boot slide mod, Differential breather mod, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Timbren Bumpstops, A-pillar RAM mount w/ cell phone holder, ProFX tow mirrors with turn signals and heat, "Raptor" lights, DEPO taillights, motorized Pop n' Lock
    Solid kit you got laid out here. But why the light duty Dakars?

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Jul 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM
    Tacomamike mike

Tacomamike mike Just that, nothing more.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Working on it, dissent offroad racks, shift sense pro, pedal commander , ARB twin, rigid SS dually's , dual batteries, ARB fridge , 2.5 Fox coil overs wResi , 2.5 Fox rears w resi Total chaos UCA , deaver packs , Nitto trail grappler's 33" .
    Yeah ditto on the dakars ?? Especially after a 700lb coil ? Sounds like your putting a lot of weight up front ?? You do know the bed is in the rear ...right :) lol

4. Jul 11, 2017 at 10:53 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    The heavy coils are if you have a heavy plate bumper and winch. If not, stick to the regular ones (600s?). If you know the weight of the bumper, let them know when you order and they'll tell you what they recommend, but the 700s are probably too big.

You're going to have a rack, but assume other stuff too. RTT? Tools? Other heavy shit? Figure out what you'll have back there and guess the weight (probably look up weights online, too). If it's going to be maybe 200-300+ pounds, go with the heavy duty leafs.

The problem of course is if you don't always carry that weight around... if you only carry the weight when wheein, your daily ride will suck, but then if you want a nicer street ride with softer springs but carry heavy loads off road, it will sag something fierce. So compromise is necessary.

Plenty of people have a heavy front end and nothing in the bed, but it would be better if the truck were better balanced... it's why people load snow in their beds in the winter - balance and traction.

Once you stare tearing it apart, they will be the inevitable random parts to replace, too, like ball joints, etc... so just keep that in mind...

ShemRahBuck and tcjacado like this.
  5. Jul 11, 2017 at 11:56 PM
    Dagostino480

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Vehicle:
    Bad ass air freshener
    So to answer all of the weight questions Ill give you my perspective.

The front will have the low pro bumper from c4 fab. This is not a full length bumper so I figured that without a winch it wouldn't constitute 700lbs springs when compared to the 650lbs springs. Plus it will be a couple months to a year before I get around to the bumper.

The reason I am thinking about light duty spring is because it will take me roughly a year before the bedrock is put on. I was informed be headstrong that I can do an aal in the rear on the light dakars if the weight gets to be excessive in the future. Giving me a comfortable ride while I save money at the price of less then $100 for a aal.

My truck is only reaching 35,000 miles so hopefully I won't have to many worn parts.

6. Jul 12, 2017 at 2:34 AM
    Tacomamike mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Working on it, dissent offroad racks, shift sense pro, pedal commander , ARB twin, rigid SS dually's , dual batteries, ARB fridge , 2.5 Fox coil overs wResi , 2.5 Fox rears w resi Total chaos UCA , deaver packs , Nitto trail grappler's 33" .
    Low pro with no winch isn't going to constitute 700lb imo. 600lb maybe 650lb will see no sag with the setup your talking. Then the rear pack sounds cool. I think you will like the drive better this way.
    Still might go little heavier on the Dakar's especially if your going 650lb coils.
    Good luck with your project sounds fun!!!

7. Jul 12, 2017 at 5:37 AM
    Dagostino480

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Vehicle:
    Bad ass air freshener
    I figure I can always add if the ride isn't how I like it. Im a big videographer so hopefully I can put together a decent build thread.

8. Jul 12, 2017 at 7:39 AM
    Tacomamike mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    I'm sure you will :). I always have great intentions doing a build thread. Then I get working on it and forget to document it with pics ! So I suppose my build thread would be more of a BEFORE and AFTER !!!
    You appear to be a lot smarter then that tho:). I'll be watching it !

9. Jul 12, 2017 at 9:00 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Yeah, I'd stick with the 600 lb fronts and the light duty rears in your case, you sound like you have it pretty well figured out. I'm struggling right now with what springs to get for my Best Gen truck.

I'm in a pretty similar situation, actually. I'll be ordering some extended travel Kings and TC UCA's today, and a little while later I'll get some Dakars. I plan to get a DIY plate bumper and winch, and probably an expo rack, rtt etc... for the rear, but honestly it will probably be a while for the RTT... I was going back and forth on which springs to get since "at some point" I'm going to load the thing down. But I'm thinking I'll just stick with 600lb Kings in the front, and the Dakars for the rear for now, and like you, do an AAL and heavier springs for my Kings later.

10. Jul 12, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    JT@Bajakits

JT@Bajakits Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Race Trucks and Off Road Suspension
    I would stick with the 600 or go with the 650lb coils.

I don't see the need for 700 with no winch.

11. Jul 19, 2017 at 4:26 PM
    Dagostino480

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Vehicle:
    Bad ass air freshener
    Ordered every excluding the UCA's. I will be searching for a set when I get more funds for now I am just going to start hoarding parts until everything is purchased! On a side note I did upgrade to RR in the front!

ChadsPride likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top