1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting new Mt. Bike. Full Susp. or Hardtail?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Drock42, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Sep 15, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    Drock42

Drock42 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4
    Toytec Coilovers, LR UCAs, OME Dakar leafpacks w/5100s, 18" 951s, 285/60 TGs (6ply), Grillcraft MX upper & lower, Wet Okole seat covers, Rec-rac bike racks
    I'm looking to get a new bike to ride some of the trails here in Abq. I had a full suspension before and didn't like the fact that when I was cranking away, alot of my power was being robbed by the rear shock. I know technology has come a long way with these bikes, but I was wondering what you guys had to say on the subject. As of now I'm leaning toward a Cannondale hardtail.

2. Sep 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    i prefer hard tail, but If I had the cash to spend on a very expensive bike I would get a high end full suspension.

3. Sep 15, 2009 at 1:42 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i have a trek 6700 hardtail with fox front shocks.i love it.i agree with wasting energy with the rear shock. hardtail will be fine. dont they make a seat/ seatpost that has a shock in it in case the hardtail is.....hard?

4. Sep 15, 2009 at 1:42 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    who sits down?

5. Sep 15, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    only to pee :D

6. Sep 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    More's the question - 'who stands up'? Keeping your butt on the seat when climbing saves an awful lot of energy.

You can get rear suspension with a lock out that stops bobbing. Not all full sussersd are the same, take a couple out for a test ride to see what you like/don't like.

7. Sep 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    GT has a fairly new system they are putting on their full suspension bikes. the suspension linkage is set up with a limmiter between two of the pivot points, so when you pedal, standing or sitting, you lose no power to suspension flex. but when you hit rough terrain and obstacles it absorbs like a regular bike.

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/images/gt_idxc2_04_linkage_big.jpg

unfortunately this is the only picture i could find of it. it's the strap on the frond side of the suspension.

8. Sep 15, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    If you want to stick with Cannondale ??? I have a Profhet 3000. Is an All mountain bike, little bit expensive but it will change your mind about full suspension bikes. Mine is a Lefty but you can get it with standard fork and ---- hey if $ is no object you will be surprise how far the technology is from 10 years ago. Want's you have an idea of your budget go on MTBR- very popular forum and spend a good week. After that you should have an idea of what you -
    -#1-you can afford
    -#2-what you are going to do with(cross country, down hill, fire roads,etc)
    -#3- what would fit you (based on your height,weight)
    -#4- witch company deserve you $( product quality,mixture of strong, reliable and new technology)
    -#5 -what would be pretty enough so that your friends won't make fun of you
    and I am pretty sure that the guy's there will jump in with more sougestions.
    Don't be afraid to register to the forum and ask any questions no matter how stupid you think it may be. Someone told me me that the only stupid ?? are the one we don't ask.

Good luck with your decision and welcome back to a beautiful sport

Oh my God ,,, I just saw where you living. You are living in one of the best State for mountain biking. Hrrrr,, I am jealous.

9. Sep 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Trek Fuel EX8... rear lock out. Great all around bike. A bit on the expensive side, but this would be the last bike you'd want to ever buy.
    [​IMG]

10. Sep 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    FearNothing321

FearNothing321 You gonna eat that taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
    first off i would make a budget....
    its gonna cost you about $2000 for a decent entry level full-suspension bike, where as you can get a damn good hardtail for $1500. Don't forget to add expenses like pedals, shoes, helmet, cycling apparel, and what not...

On today's full suspension rigs, the rear shocks (at least Fox does this) there is a lever for what they call Pro-Pedal. When you flip the lever it changes the interal valving allowing the suspension to firm up and take away any suspension bob from pedaling. From first hand experience my Trek Fuel Ex 9.0 will accelerate like a hardtail.

Also from current mountain bike trends the death of the 26 inch hardtail is coming....

Personally I am not a big fan of Cannondale for various reasons. Companies I would look at would be Scott, Trek, Specialized. FWIW go down to your local bike shop and ride what they've got there.

11. Sep 15, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Sounds like a new vrsion of the I-Drive that I have on my GT XCR1000 (which is about 8 yrs old). It works ok, but if it goes wrong, mucho dollars to fix.

12. Sep 15, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

it is similar to that. I work at a bikeshop that sells them, so i've ridden them enough to say that does make a difference. as far as breakage on the new ones goes. if you mannage to break it (i've never seen a broken one and i'm a bike mechanic) all you have to replace is that little piece that i pointed out in the picture a few posts before. i believe gt has a lifetime waranty on their frames, seems liek that would be covered in that since it doesn't move. but if not, my guess is that the part would not cost more than $20.

13. Sep 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I like hard tails for beginners. You will develop your skills much quicker when you learn on a hard tail.

I doubt you're looking to get into the high dollar bikes. You can get a much lighter, quicker, and better performing hard tail than a FS.

Almost all manufacturers have a lifetime warranty on their frames...against manufacturer's defects. :rolleyes:

14. Sep 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I prefer a hard tail. We have alot of rocky trails out here, along with some smooth single track. I feel more comfortable on a hard tail than a FS ,due to weight, and it feels a little more agile. $0.02.

15. Sep 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    this is true...but the bike mechanic will be the person who does the paperwork and sends a broken bike in...so if you know one well, or buy one lunch, they'll usually be able to work around stuff or fudge what realy happened to the bike, to get it replaced. it also helps to go to a reputable store. i rarely have trouble warrantying parts and frames customers bring to me.

I also agree with starting on a hardtail. of course it depends on what kind of trails you ride becasue some trails are geared toward full suspension, but i've been seriously riding/racing for about 6 years now, and refuse to ride a full suspension. but sometimes i'm just stubborn:rolleyes:

16. Sep 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    A reputable shop will help with damages that should be warrantied, but will not fudge the paperwork. I've wrenched at a few shops and we would help out when we could, but often times, it was obvious that the damage was due to abuse or a wreck.

17. Sep 15, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I belive you are familliar with the frase "Just Riding Along"......:)

18. Sep 15, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    I like my full suspension bike - the trails where I live are pretty rocky (South Mountain FTW!)
    The new full susp bikes are awesome, they have really changed a lot in the last 4 or 5 years. You really don't feel much pedal feedback or energy sapping from the rear suspension at all. I had a Santa Cruz Blur, and I ride an Ibis now, and they are the best climbing bikes I've ever ridden. Better than any of my hardtails. Look for a bike with Virtual Pivot Point or DW link suspension. Like a previous poster pointed out - pro-pedal works too.

Of course, that is for cross-country / all-mountain full suspension bikes. When you start getting into freeride or downhill oriented bikes, that's not a machine for climbing or trails anyway - they tend to be heavier too.

When I went to Abq, my fs bike seemed like overkill. I bet a hardtail 29'er would be great over there. Have you looked at the Gary Fisher 29'ers?

There are shops in Abq that do demos - take a couple out and ride a few to see what you think. If it has been a while since you rode a full suspension bike, you will be amazed at how good they are now. I gave my confirmed hardtail riding friend my Blur for a day, and he wound up buying one.

19. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM
    Drock42

Drock42 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4
    Toytec Coilovers, LR UCAs, OME Dakar leafpacks w/5100s, 18" 951s, 285/60 TGs (6ply), Grillcraft MX upper & lower, Wet Okole seat covers, Rec-rac bike racks
    The main reason I'm considering the Cannondale is because I bought a Cannondale CAAD9 R6 road bike and the shop I go to has a Trail SL with the same paint scheme (Red & Black). But I'm not going to base my purchase on that alone. It IS a good bike, but I want to weigh my other options and see what I think.

Oh and Abq is great! We moved here a year ago and I'm just barely getting to know just how much fun it can be! :)

Good info, thanks! The shop I go to is really good about letting you try it before you buy it. They were really awesome when it came to finding the right road bike for me.

I'm not a little guy (6'1" 215lb) so I'll see how the fulls hold up. Either way you guys have been helpful! Thanks to everyone for their $0.02! I'm happy to see a mountain bike post got this much of a response. Goes to show we have a lot more in common than our trucks!

20. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    If you have the dough, full suspension the way to go. I've got an old GT i-drive that I love it. No torque robbing on the hill climb. The only downfall is it's heavy has hell compared to things like the trek EX8. If you're worried about robbing torque get a front and rear lockout.

Or if you want to be really hardcore, get a 29 inch single speed. The guy I bought my Tacoma from builds 29er frames. Cheapest one he builds is $1400. There is a whole community of these 29ers that swear by them.

Products Discussed in

To Top