1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting ready for New timing belt !

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by elitre19, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Apr 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    elitre19

elitre19 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma prerunner
    So my timing belt is due to be changed , Im going to change the serpentine belts ,upper and lower radiator hoses , water pump , and thermostat. Is there anything else that I should replace ? And does anyone have a good link on timing belt replacement this will be my first time doing it. Thanks ! :)

03 Tacoma prerunner

2. Apr 30, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    Gorillazrus

Gorillazrus To be continued...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5
    5100 Bilistens set @ 1" in front, Wheelers 5 leaf in rear, Leer Topper, TRD Skid Plate, Dual Band Ham Radio
  3. May 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    elitre19

elitre19 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma prerunner
    Thanks! What a great link!

4. May 2, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    DOUBLLD

DOUBLLD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma LS Swap Twin Turbo
    Alot
    Cam seals an crank seal good idea

5. May 2, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^beat me to it

6. May 2, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    DOUBLLD

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    Alot
    It would b in your best interest to find a local snap on guy or someone like that to get the tool to decompress the tensioner. Because you can't remove it easily trust me I'm a Toyota mechanic

7. May 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    fdmsiv

fdmsiv Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 3.4 5-speed X-cab SR5 TRD
    I was able to compress the tensioner pin in place with a 12" bar clamp. I had to cut some of the wood off the handle and turn it with some pliers but it did the trick.

When I did mine it took about 4 ~ 5 hrs of solid working. Throw in head scratching, looking for the tool you just had in your hand, and frequent trips to the cooler and your looking at the better part of a full day. I had a big piece of cardboard and would tape groups of bolts/nuts to the cardboard and label them in the order they came off. Putting everything back together was much easier this way for me.

8. May 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    The only issue I had with removing the tensioner was getting the AC compressor out of the way. Slight pain in the ass, for sure, but not all that difficult. My kit came with a new Toyota tensioner.

9. May 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    DOUBLLD

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    Alot
    I just throw the bolts in the cowl an I remember where they go lol I've done a few on the 3.4

10. Oct 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    ob3135

ob3135 Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacomma Pre-runner V6 Automatic
    None
    Hi DOUBLLD, could use some help. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic. That said, I hate tearing into jobs and finding I dont have a special tool.

Reckon you know all about this as a Yota mechanic. So will I need a special tool for the crank pulley? Also do you have a part # on the tensioner pulley tool?

You can avoid removing the AC compressor if you have the snap on tool right?

I've learned in the past, though equipment mechanics are far ahead of a novice, being one does not make you a "Auto Mechanic" two different world for sure :) So props to you and any help you can provide :)

11. Oct 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    TallTacoma

TallTacoma Bear fvcker!

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    The Silver State
    Vehicle:
    Come and take it from my cold, dead hands.
    3" suspension lift (ToyTec coilovers and wheeler leafs), Yakima roof rack, ARE tonneau, K&N FIPK.
    Or, if you replace the timing belt tensioner while you're in there, you don't need the special snap on tool.

12. Oct 7, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    ob3135

ob3135 Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacomma Pre-runner V6 Automatic
    None
    Thanks TallTacoma! That said, I hope to avoid that. I'm really just going in there cause when I was on the slope working (North slope in Alaska) the wife had the truck looked at and Dealer said the water pump leaked making the timing belt jump a cog and giving it a hard miss at high RPM, 3500 ish to be exact.

So I was planning on just zipping in there, replace the pump, thermostat, and belt and get out. Low cost.

That said though, I find it a bit weak how they say they came to this conclusion. Now that I'm back and have the full story. They told her first this was the prob, and I told her over the phone (Based on past experience with dealers, or I should say "Service reps who up here make money off how much money they make the dealer" so I had her ask "How exactly did your mechanic come to this diagnosis and did the shop foreman agree"... His answer was "He pulled the inspection window and observed the timing marks on the belt compared to the pulleys"... Soooo, I'm very suspicious, because there is no inspection window. Plus stopping the motor dead on top dead center is damn hard to do without manually turning it yourself. So what you think about that? Opinions? I'm tempted to re-diagnose it?

Products Discussed in

To Top