1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting ready to purchase a new 2014 AC TRD

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Bodacious, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Oct 22, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    Bodacious

Bodacious [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Hi, new member to this site, looking for some guidance as far as understanding the 4x4 Taco.
    This would be my first mid-sized truck. Currently have always owned full size Chevys or GMC's.
    I'm mostly an on road guy but need the 4x4 for winters in Northern Michigan. Will be towing mostly small trailers (14' boat, double snowmobile) type units.
    Also looking at an AC with reg. Box. Sometimes will need to throw my SkiDoo Summit in the box with tailgate down for transporting.
    Just having a hard time giving up all the room of the Silverado's and F-150's for something smaller.
    In hopes that after asking a few questions I will be able to make up my mind and but the 2014Taco Access Cab/TRD Sport.

2. Oct 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    Janderson

Janderson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB SPORT MGM
    Why not go with the Double cab if you are worried about giving up space? I just purchased a 2014 Double cab, long bed TRD sport and I love it. I went from an F150 supercab. Also I'm very happy that I went with the Long bed. Good luck.

3. Oct 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    Get a costco membership, then go to this site, http://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipcode.aspx

You'll save at least $2000 compared to paying sticker price.
    It's a deal costco and Toyota have going. I didn't know about it till I had already purchased mine, then a friend told me he saved $2000 over what I paid.

4. Oct 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Bodacious

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Not too worried about giving up space, I have no real need for the extra passenger room. Access cab wil carry my gear bags with no problems. The overall feel of driving a smaller truck was my concern. I'm sure it will take some time to adjust to.
    Thanks for your comments!

5. Oct 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    Trail Cat

Trail Cat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida to NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4
    Bull Bar - TRD Exhaust - Predator Side Steps - Alarm - Anytime On Fog Lights mod - OBD UltraGauge II - LED Dome & Map Lights - LED Aux BackUp Lights - LED DRL - Gate Keeper mod - TRD bed Cup Holder & Bottle Opener - Center Console Lock mod - WeatherTech Mats - Kicker Hideaway - Rear Door Speakers - Spare Tire Extension Valve mod - Tail gate 3rd Brake Light Bar - Proline Wheels - Rear Diff Breather mod (left rear tail light area) - "Florida Tacoma's" sticker - BFG A/T KO2 tires -
    Welcome to TW
    I got a 2013 AC TRD Sport, I just love it. I didn't need the DC extra space which is very popular on TW. Like I said the AC is sporty and just perfect for me.
    The only real thing I wish I could of got on the Sport that is not offered was the RR Locker

6. Oct 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    Bodacious

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Well got the Toyota wind blow out of my sails over the last couple of days.
    Decided that I'm ready to buy a new 2014 AC 4x4 TRD Sport. None available within a three state radius, even gave three color choices. No 2013's left either. Tried 4 different Yoda Dealerships. Then by accident I found a thread talking about frames rusting out. Sounds like the Gen 2 Taco frame is most likely still a problem. I live in an area where snow/ salt is coating the roads for up to 5 months each year.
    This is starting to sound like a not so good idea. Bumbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  7. Oct 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    Herbaltaco

Herbaltaco Active Member

Member:
    Ventura Co. CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 4x4,94Toy pick up
    Window tinting, Husky Liner Floor Mats, Ultra gauge, Wet Akole seat covers ordered lol.
    I'm ready to purchase a new TRD Sport. I'm leaning towards a double cab because that is the only one that comes with navigation. I also like the idea of having the extra space in back vs. less space with the access cab.

What I can't get over though is how small the bed is on the short cab version. The double cab long bed will be a bit too long overall for me, difficult to maneuver in tight parking lots and barely fitting in garage. I really do like the looks of the access cab more, and it comes with a 6 foot bed.

As far as color, I'm leaning towards white right now. I was thinking blue, but haven't seen the new blue they are offering and wouldn't want to decide on it without having seen it in person first. The salesman I test drove with said they are very rare right now. Also curious about the new silver, but I've always been a white car guy.

I put in my app on the Costco site. Just waiting for the salesman to call me and schedule an apt. to make a deal. Hopefully they can beat what my go to Toyota dealership said was their "best price."

8. Oct 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    OK OP your Chevy and ford probably had rust issues as well and as long as you check your frame and keep it cleaned and coated rust shouldn't be an issue

9. Oct 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I live in Vermont same as MI for salt and such. Just fluid film the frame it will be fine. My 06 frame was ok after 5 yrs went I traded it. Easily tows my enclosed snowmobile trailer. For your sled in the back there on pics here on TW with guys who do that too if you want an idea for your Summit. I think one member even built a deck ....

10. Oct 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    gb42

gb42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD OR DCSB MT
    Don't buy a sport for navigation. Add that shit after market for one third of the price.

11. Oct 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    Herbaltaco

Herbaltaco Active Member

Member:
    Ventura Co. CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 4x4,94Toy pick up
    Window tinting, Husky Liner Floor Mats, Ultra gauge, Wet Akole seat covers ordered lol.
    I heard there are not really any good aftermarket nav systems available. I was told by someone I know who sells high end cars that most aftermarket nav systems are inferior to the navigation system on a smartphone. Plus phone integration is an issue with most aftermarket systems.

12. Oct 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    tstout23

tstout23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 access cab sr5 4x4
    rust on a tacoma is no different than rust on any other vehicle. sounds like the op is just looking for an excuse not to get a tacoma. i was in the same boat as far as no dealers within a few states had an access cab. i lived in oklahoma and the local dealer did a trade with one in mississippi to get me the access cab 4x4 that i wanted

13. Oct 27, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    Bodacious

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Think what you may, but I like to get all the info about a product before I make a major purchase. That what forums are for, to share and acquire knowledge. FWIW I spoke with two dealers again yesterday, and the equipped vehicle that I'm looking for, is not available within a 300 mile radius.

I know the 2014's are just being released, does anyone know how long it usually takes before they are hit the Yoda dealerships in numbers?

14. Oct 27, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    Probly a couple month to fill stock. What i would do op is sit back for a bit keep reaserching till a truck in your specs arrives in a lot near you. Never have that evil monkey on your back saying what if, answer every question you have and GL woth purchase.

15. Oct 27, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    I had to travel 800ish miles to get what I wanted, and I also saved $3-4k by doing so

16. Oct 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Bodacious

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks, that is my plan at this point...hopefully something turns up unexpectedly soon. After asking a few questions here, I think I got a grip on what truck fits my needs. Seems as though Toyota is able to sell these trucks in a pretty quick fashion. Just think how many they might sell if they were readily available for purchase. The Big Three all have a lot full of trucks to pick from........ I haven't been able to find a TRD Access Cab Sport to even test drive yet. I'd really like to drive one before I commit to ordering one blindly.

17. Oct 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    They dont even have a access cab with the 4.0 it will drive the same just it has a little more bells and whistles. Just a thought. Sports have a little better suspention vs the sr5 series i beleive. So if anything will be a smoother ride. My opinion

18. Oct 28, 2013 at 4:44 AM
    Bodacious

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Unfortunately only 4L's SC, and V6 DC's. With the DC having a longer wheelbase it would not be an accurate test drive.
    I still have a week or so to get my other truck replaced.......I'm going to set back and see what pops.

19. Oct 28, 2013 at 4:58 AM
    wildcats

wildcats Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Sport
    Well a v6 short bed has the same wheelbase.

20. Oct 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    tstout23

tstout23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 access cab sr5 4x4
    my access cab has a 4.0 v6. i wouldnt spend the extra money on a trd. you can buy a sr5 and put a better suspension on it then the trd's come with and spend less money. if youre waiting on an access cab 4x4 to hit the lots in your area, chances are it isnt going to happen. and if it does, someone has probably already put a deposit on it. they just dont make very many of them anymore due to the popularity of the double cab. i used to work in the parts department in a toyota dealer and i didnt see but 1 access cab 4x4 other than mine come thru in 2 years

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top