1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ghetto Lift

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by mountainwolfpup, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup [OP] Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Solved.

I ordered a custom 1" body lift setup from Roger Brown at 4Crawler Off-road.

Should arrive in a week or so. I'll update on quality, etc.

Turns out NO ONE makes a commercial 1" lift for 2005_ Tacos. Daystar makes a great one but for the older Tacos. - Too bad.

Anyway, this guy comes recommended on TW and that's good enough for me.

2. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Ive heard good things about that lift. Glad you decided to do it right.

3. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Thanks for the AWESOME :D writeup and pictures PSU Taco85. I printed out the whole thing, about killed my ink cartridge I think.. but well worth it - walked me right through the whole thing.

So, Roger at 4Crawler got back to my email right away and mailed out the kit so fast after I placed my order through PayPal. The kit components are very high quality materials and well finished.

So today I set to installing it on my truck. Sadly I had no helpers available. Still, it took just about 5 hours. I think that I could shave an hour or two off next time.. I proceeded pretty slowly in some areas where that degree of caution really wasn't necessary. And it was very easy and strait forward.

But of course my install was simpler as I intentionally do not want to raise my bumpers up.

And to answer your question on the ARB bumper, there are slotted bolt holes. I swear that you can not adjust that bumper vertically at all. It is impossible. I took it off and on twice to try. I even attempted to "shim" it to drop somewhat. No way to do it.

Anyway, the body lift looks good, I actually like it a lot. Very satisfied.

I'll post pics soon.

4. Jan 13, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    As you can see I gained the 1" of clearance (gap) I was looking for between my front quarter panels and my bumper. The truck rides and functions the same as before (a good thing) and does feel higher.. no more rubbing, banging, and rusting. Here are the after photos:

BEFORE BODY LIFT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER BODY LIFT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jan 13, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    iirc you can adjust for height you have to be able to do this as the bumper alone could cause damage off road if not given enough clearance when initially installed.

i forget if the adjustment is on the bracket or the bumper itself. B may remember how it goes lol well maybe not :laugh:

6. Jan 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i'm going to look into the bumper height adjustment thing as i think i may go for a 1 inch b/l myself just to gain some more clearance for the tires.

but, i don't want big gaps and stuff at least not up front my sliders and rear bumper i can have built with the b/l taken into account.

7. Jan 13, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes. That's what many folks have told me stunt man hans. I tell you I put the ARB bumper on myself. Based on so many people giving me this exact feedback I have R&R that bumper two times because I began to doubt myself also.

Body lift or cutting were my only real options. I'm not keen on taking a saw to my truck so I lifted it on little plastic spacers... the cab will likely sheer off the frame one day and you'll all have a good laugh. I'll be sure to post the pics when that happens.

Products Discussed in

To Top