1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Glock owners united MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by gixxerphil, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    TomTwo

TomTwo I love God but I cuss a little

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    I-85 Southbound and Truckin
    Vehicle:
    Totaled 2012 TRD Sport, 2013 TRD Double Cab Sport
    My Daughter and Son in Law are LEO. I have had the access to the same instruction and instructors for several years and I have been able to enjoy there classes on the instructors own time. It has helped me a lot with my shooting ability and with my situational awareness too.

KY_Rob and LivinLoud[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:12 AM
    LivinLoud

LivinLoud Miller Latte Advocate

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    I mean… it’s a Ford, you don’t care
    Awesome! I’m a strong believer that a “good guy with a gun” isn’t always a good thing in a bad situation. I think training is the most important part of gun ownership for any applicatation (target practice or self defense) Learning the things that you’ve been able to learn with that training is something that I wish everyone had the opportunity to do!

KY_Rob and TomTwo[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    10 years of LEO training honed my skills

I dont practice various skills as much as I should anymore but I do regularly shoot my defensive firearms...I try to shoot offhand and from drawing positions though

LivinLoud, KY_Rob and TomTwo like this.
  4. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:22 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    Don’t get to train as much as I want to, but 3 times a year we pick a weekend and do a day of handgun training and a day of rifle training. We make sure to cover supported/unsupported, standing, kneeling, prone, and moving, all at various distances. We go out to 25m with handguns and 100m with rifles, and most anything in between. Dump about 1000 rounds a day per person, but it’s fun.

LivinLoud[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    TomTwo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    Agreed, I live in a pretty nice neighbor hood and in the 17 years I have lived here I have had three attempted home invasions (the latest was 4/3/19) I have been able to control the situation until the local Sheriff could arrive and make an arrest in all three incidents. If anyone thinks they are safe in there own home they are wrong.......... It also helps to have a nasty Dog :D.

6. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    LivinLoud

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    Nice! Those are two skills that I think are very important to keep working on! Especially drawing and coming to the ready. You’ve got more LEO training than I do too!

Dude that’s awesome! What’s your background? Do you do it on your own or with someone who is a trainer? No one trains as much as they want to. My departments each have an annual qual, and one other day throughout the year. I do more on my own.

KY_Rob[QUOTED] and TomTwo like this.
  7. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:29 AM
    LivinLoud

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    Haha I’ve got a good guard dog too. 100lb coonhound with a nasty bark.

8. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    TomTwo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup: I have a 50 pound Lab/Beagle mix that has the nastiest bark and will slam his teeth on the glass next to the front door while barking. the UPS guy will throw boxes onto my porch and run :rofl:

9. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    TomTwo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    I must add that some but not all of my firearms instruction came from my Daughters Partner (Female) I have also found that being trained by a Female I find better because there is NO ego involved like you sometimes get from a male instructor.

Yotabilly and LivinLoud like this.
  10. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    TRVsTRD

TRVsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    02 Lunar Mist Prerunner TRD DCSB
    Even if people can't get out and shoot regularly, don't underestimate practicing the draw, grip, and aim and dry fire of your preferred carry weapon. You can do this in your own bedroom without having to take time and money to go to a range. Gets you familiar with how to properly grip the gun, hold your point of aim while pulling the trigger, disengage the safety if you have one etc...You can literally practice this every day even if it's just for a couple draws and aim.

KY_Rob, LivinLoud and TomTwo like this.
  11. Apr 14, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    I’m just a guy that likes to shoot, and wants to keep up familiarity and skills on how to do it properly. There’s a group of us (3 or 4 couples usually), that do this. We’ve all known each other a long time, so it’s a good excuse to get together. There’s a combat vet or 2, and 1 current LEO with us, but no “professional” trainer per se. Not to under-appreciate the value of a real trainer, but we all know what we need to do. We make sure to coach and critique as we go.

LivinLoud[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Apr 14, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    LivinLoud

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    agreed 100%. I prefer to do this with dummy rounds in my mags. for $10 it just makes it a little more realistic.

very cool man!

KY_Rob[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 14, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    Could not agree more with this! Excellent method to master trigger control!

14. Apr 14, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    Old Marine Cal

Old Marine Cal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DBLCAB
    I have had my permit for 2 yrs.....give or take.

My background is hunting or 25 yds outer 200 plus yards.

So self defense training was missing.
    I have taken 2 pistol classes and a shotgun class, all with a focus defensive tactics.

I am a member of a range where I shoot with purpose every 2 weeks. Then some time just having fun.

When I took the ccw class, several folks actually broke their pistols out of plastic for the first time and it showed.

So to answer your question, yes. Because I had a high school football coach tell me long ago.
    You play like you practice......

LivinLoud[QUOTED], KY_Rob and TomTwo like this.
  15. Apr 14, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    malburg114

malburg114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Stippled another gen 4 19 and think it turned out good.

3AB1A6DB-0864-4C27-BC12-DB38152F6083.jpg

Also picked up a le trade in gen 3 22 as a better gun and threw a bear creek arsenal 9mm conversion barrel. Love the trigger on the gen 3 and plan is to leave it alone besides maybe doing the trigger guard.
    03E58DA2-5E94-4EFA-A8B8-A6B00C518868.jpg

And finally got all my txc holsters. Lefty for work and a regular as well.
    D2BEC000-E1CE-4373-AD4A-4831A4656B30.jpg

Hardscrabble, LivinLoud and KY_Rob like this.
  16. Apr 14, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    I’ve taken Three defensive pistol classes, but they were over a decade ago. Up until last year I competed regularly in USPSA and occasionally in IDPA. As of last Monday I still have a 1 second (.96-1.08) draw cold from concealed with my EDC (G19 AIWB) shooting a plate on a plate rack @ 8 yards. I run a plate rack in a little over 3 seconds with the G19, faster with a modified G17.

LivinLoud[QUOTED] and TomTwo like this.
  17. Apr 14, 2019 at 6:02 PM
    LivinLoud

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    Awesome dude! That’s great that you practice that regularly!

18. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:15 PM
    Fire252fighter

Fire252fighter The guy that comments every now and then

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh pa
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 tacoma
    Nothing
    My background it hunting since I was 12 with shooting starting at around 8. Didn’t ever shoot a pistol til I was 22 however I found the training if ya will transferred nicely.

Got my ccw permit a year ago. (Edit I’m currently 34.) I have never done formal training with a instructor/class. I am lucky to have a few good men at my disposlal. One retired fed Air Marshal/firearms instructor, two Leo and several vets that have thought me a lot.

On my own at the range I do draw and off hand. Can’t do kneeling or prone but I do that stuff up at camp. Another thing that has helped and I wonder if anyone else does this... is randomly mixing in used shell casing into the mags to practice malfunctions in the middle of target acquisition. Forces you to clear and move on with minimal hesitation. Anyone can practice shooting paper at even 30’ which I do but if your gun stoves in the middle ya don’t want to be dead before you figure it out.
    Thoughts?

19. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:27 PM
    LivinLoud

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    That’s great! Malfunction clearing drills are top notch. I use dummy rounds for that in my mags. Honestly I never thought about using empty casings lol.

KY_Rob, Old Marine Cal and TomTwo like this.
  20. Apr 14, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    Fire252fighter

Fire252fighter The guy that comments every now and then

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh pa
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 tacoma
    Nothing
    Yeah same thing and for a range, when ya clear them in a hurry like I train to and they fly over the firing line I don’t have to worry about retrieving them. If I’m at camp it doesn’t matter but at the indoor range I go to it’s live the whole time.

TomTwo and LivinLoud[QUOTED] like this.
To Top