1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gluten free diets

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by MTgirl, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Oct 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    ya it is some pricey shit...

2. Oct 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl [OP] too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I know :( I had a lot of failures in the beginning. But I've learned which ingredients I don't like so I just read the labels very carefully and avoid certain things.

Brownies? Which brand? :hungry:

That's how it was for me. My parents drug me to doctor after doctor as a kid and they could never pinpoint the cause of my problems. Maybe they had never heard of celiac? Anyways it got to a point that I was tired of doctors and told my parents to give up which was hard for them to do. I suffered for many years before figuring out (on my own, no help from a doc) what was happening. I'm just glad I found the source of my problems and I don't have to be dependent on medications to feel better!

Ezikiel isn't gluten free, its has whole wheat in it.

3. Oct 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    so i found out a month ago, that i am allergic to gluten. i dont have celiac, but if i wouldnt have found out it could have lead to that. i also found out that i am allergic to wheat, barley :( , almonds and bananas. this explained why my stomach hurt all the time... plus it was causing me inflammation in my joints and a slew of other problems. whats funny is just in 5 weeks of not eating food that was hurting me, i lost 18 pounds... not working out or 'dieting'. i eat plenty, i just started eating things like hummus and.... vegetables! and of course beef chicken and whatever meat i want. oh and i found out that i am allergic to whey... whey protein and pineapple. how random...

4. Oct 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    tacobot

tacobot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oakland!
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Here is an easy gluten/grain free cookie recipe you might like if you have a sweet tooth. I normally don't eat added sugar, but these are GOOD so I still make them occasionally...

2 eggs
    2 tbsp butter (melt and cool it a bit)
    2+ tbsp maple syrup (you may want 3, you can use agave too)
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 cup shredded coconut (not sweetened, though you could do it and eliminate the syrup)
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    pinch baking soda

Oven @ 350F

Whisk eggs, butter, syrup, vanilla together. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. You can add sliced almonds too. Drop onto parchment lined cookie sheet, makes 12 cookies. Bake 20-30 minutes (it takes me 26-28) or until slightly firm.

:)

5. Oct 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Damn, you're allergic to everything!

6. Oct 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    did i mention soy and egg yolk of all things... looks like im just going to have to eat meat, fruit (most anyway) and veggies... oh, im not allergic to corn... i dont really like corn, but maybe i could find gluten free cornbread

7. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    tacobot

Member:
    Oakland!
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Ouch. No eggs!! I'll think about a different recipe. You'll probably feel so much better after just a month or two though. I've done a severely restricted diet and realized I felt/looked so much better right around day 45.

Homemade cornbread should be fine, but at the store I'd read the package bc they sneak all kinds of strange soy derivatives into the weirdest foods.

8. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    Corn tortillas, sopes, and polenta all are good. I like to buy the "log" of polenta and slice & BBQ it. I grill it pretty hard and it isn't mushy and kicks ass with a good pasta sauce.

And try the corn/quinoa pasta I posted a link to earlier. Just ate it tonight!

9. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    tacobot

Member:
    Oakland!
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    ^ oh yum.

That pre-made polenta in the tube is also good sliced & fried up with a little olive oil in a pan then topped w sauteed greens (with some shallots, white wine and bacon too) mmm.

I'm posting while hungry. Damn.

10. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Day 45... ok I'm at 5 week's now. I actually felt better after the first week, but I continue to feel better especially with losing weight. Not only was the food dragging me down but so was gravity on my weight... heh

I honestly have no idea what a polenta log is... is it meat?

11. Oct 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    they docs thought i was allergic. so i did like 2 months thing about avoiding it. did not change anything about the way i felt. that was like 5 or 6 years ago tho.

12. Oct 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    tacobot

Member:
    Oakland!
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Nah, it's just cornmeal but with a fancy name and precooked for us lazy types. So you can buy the dry ground cornmeal in a big bag and cook/stir it for a while. It's like really creamy grits and then solidifies when cool so you can slice it. Or you can buy it already all cooked and stuffed into a plastic tube for like $2, then you can slice it and grill/fry it right away or heat it up with a liquid (like chicken stock) to get it creamy again.

This place near here makes a bowl of super buttery polenta topped with pulled pork. It's goooood.

13. Oct 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Interesting... I will have to try that! It may be a special order down here though. I've never seen anything like that in the stores here. Maybe I could try making it. Thanks!

14. Oct 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    tacobot

Member:
    Oakland!
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Another idea... I have a friend who lives in a more rural place and she's gluten-free, she says a lot of the specialty stuff is available on Amazon and it qualifies for free shipping through Amazon Prime too. She orders the various Bob's Red Mill 'alternative' flours, special pastas, cereals & gluten-free brownie mix and says the prices are decent.

15. Oct 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    King arthur brand I think.

16. Oct 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    damn you all and your talk of pizzas.... :drool:

on the grill now

[​IMG]

17. Oct 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    kinda small ain't it?
    use that whole stone! Have leftovers for days!

18. Oct 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    a 12" pie is plenty for me...read up above, it doesn't reheat very well so I'll be pigging out shortly :eek:

19. Oct 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    mreimann

mreimann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 double cab Limited
    Icon C/O, Fox 2.0, All Pro Expo 2.0 leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, Airflow snorkel, Custom Built Bed Rack, Pelfrey aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, All Pro aluminum rear bumper, SmittyBuilt winch. RTT
    I'm gluten intolerant as well, same with dairy :(

I found out when I was in middle school, but didn't stop eating it until about 5 years ago. I'm lucky that I found out about it while I was still so young. Well its a blessing a curse, but for health its a blessing haha.

Since I'm still in college I didn't really start cooking for myself until a couple years ago. I buy a lot of gluten free substitutes like pancake mix, bread, pasta. But I've also found that naturally gluten free substitues such rice noodles (like the asian kind) are a good way to mix things up. Or gnocchi instead of gluten free spaghetti. I don't have any gluten free friends, so they're always offering me beer or their leftover pizza. Thats the worst, so tempting! Although my friends have told me that my gluten free pancakes are better than normal ones. So I guess I'm not missing out on too much

But when I go back home I fit right in. Everyone in my family is gluten intolerant except for my dad.

In addition to gluten and dairy I'm trying to cut cereal grains out of my diet as well. Which sucks because I make some amazing gluten free :sandwich:

20. Oct 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    What is this reading you speak of?
    :p

Products Discussed in

To Top