1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

goin' to replace my drive shaft

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 4421.frank, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    4421.frank

4421.frank [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    02 double cab prerunner supercharged
    nasty dent on driver's side bed panel, shabby seats, cigarette burned interior roof, missing berf bar pad, cracked rain visor, removed hood scoop, unmentionable stain on back bench?
    I have been having some trouble with my drive shaft for a while now.:mad: Weird noises coming from it during coasting and such. :confused: A month ago I had it checked out by a mechanic, just to be sure. Once he got it on the lift and moved the shaft around with his hands I could see where the noise was coming from, the drive shaft. I had no idea it had grease fittings all this time adn some years of neglect have rendered it lame. I t was happening before I installed a small lift on the suspension but is definitely more pronounced afterward.
    I have found a reputable drive shaft manufacturer here in chicago but was wondering if there is any need for any type of shims in the carrier bearing?
    Also, what are some tips on replacing this shaft after it is machined?

sincerely the "shaft master":D

2. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    You could probably just replace the U-joints on your existing driveshaft and it'll work like new. Save yourself some bucks that way.

3. Feb 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    x2

is it a 1 piece driveshaft that your having made up or a 2 piece? If its a 1 piece obviously there will be no need for a carrier bearing drop. But some people still go with axle shims. Replacing the whole ds is a pretty straight forward process. make sure ebrake is on when ya do it.

4. Feb 11, 2010 at 12:11 AM
    2004Taco

2004Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach,CA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5 Trd
    Magnaflow and Deckplate Mod Billet grille
    x3 REALLY easy to install too.

5. Feb 11, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    4421.frank

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    nasty dent on driver's side bed panel, shabby seats, cigarette burned interior roof, missing berf bar pad, cracked rain visor, removed hood scoop, unmentionable stain on back bench?
    thanks,:D
    any suggestions on where to get them? How's the install, if you know?

6. Feb 11, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Any auto parts store can order them for you. I almost always order my parts from rockauto.com these days.

The process is a breeze, and will be much easier after you've done your first u-joint. Check this page for a detailed explanation of the process:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/ujoint_install/

7. Feb 12, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    4421.frank

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    thanks, though I am still wondering about the carrier bearing and the need for a shim in there as well? The truck does have a small lift on it ( bilstein 5100's and Toytec 1.5" AAL in the rear.) Some have said this could help as well.

there is enough space between the truck and the ground to work underneath to remove. All I would need to do is put it in park, with the parking brake engaged, to remove the long shaft andd the u-joint, correct?

8. Feb 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    come to think of it,it may be actually easier to lift the ass end up a bit, put the truck in neutral and block the front tires from movin. this is because youll probly need to spin the shaft to get at some of the bolts holding the shaft to the rear diff and to the tranny.

9. Feb 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    4421.frank

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    Alright then lads, I have made up my mind.

I will first replace the the u-joint and see if this doesn't correct the issue I am having with my truck.

It seems fairly straight forward, getting it out and replacing it with a new one. I will stop by the part store tomorrow and see about getting that part.

There are three questions I do have from those of more educated about this repair or perhaps from those of you whom have accomplished this repair.

1. do I put the truck in park and engage the emergency brake and jack it up, or Do I leave it in neutral with some wheel chocks in the front and jack it up in the back?

2. Is there anything else beside the prerequisite hadn tools and the replacement part that I will need?

3. what about any type of shim(s) in the carrier bearing as well?

I am looking forward to getting this repair done, that noise sounds shitty, and is the last stop before I get the 7th injector kit installed, the on to debadging and new grill.

hell, in a couple weeks , it'll probably be like a whole new truck

neahhhhhh, it's still the same ol' "hammer":D

10. Feb 12, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    Worm

Worm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Southern Maryland
    Just curious what does the noise sound like?

11. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    4421.frank

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    it's difficult to describe, but can be best summed up by a low murmur like noise, almost whistling. Again, this noise only happens when the truck is in drive, and is coasting after acceleration.

The mechanic who checked out after a recent alignment, showed while the truck was on the lift, by manually moving the drive shaft while in neutral, I could hear the noise.

The problem may be wear and tear( the truck just hit 100,000 :D) but may have arised from a lack of preventative maintenance on my part as well. I always assumed that most joints and fitting were factory sealed( like suspension and steering components) , but was surprised to find grease fittings on the drive line :eek:.

now that I know I will make greater efforts togrease these fittings regularly.

what grease should I use for the grease fittings, though?

I can use that same grease when I am installing the new u-joint, correct?

12. Feb 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    Worm

Worm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah regular axle grease should get it done.

To Top