1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going Alone - Single Vehicle Wheeling & Safety

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Mxpatriot, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Jan 4, 2017 at 9:42 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    This (bolded), is all I'm really saying. We don't disagree there.

I think you're just focusing on two or three words out of my entire post, and essentially ignoring the rest of it, which was to say that everyone should take an actual class on the subject to be properly prepared.

<2 minute internet videos are a fine first step, but you (not "you" Chase, but others) really should consider taking an actual class that gives you practical experience with expert supervision on how and when to apply them, and lots and lots of practice. I personally find it interesting that you are telling people using a 1 minute video and 3 lines of an internet forum post what to do that's taken you 15 years of military training/experience to learn. Yes, to an experienced medic, they are easy, reliable, and make sense, I never said anything to the contrary.

But without proper training, you wouldn't necessarily know that direct pressure is almost always effective IF done properly (i.e. correct pressure, location, and time). So someone gets all internet smart and figures if putting their hand on a wound doesn't stop the bleeding in 30 seconds, they need a tourniquet, then they go and put a tourniquet on (incorrectly).

I'm of the mindset that videos, while they expose you to what's out there, don't actually train you very well, especially in an emergency situation where you tend to forget half the crap you learned anyway. There is NO replacement for in person practical experience.

You're right in one respect, however. Don't listen to me. But IMO they shouldn't necessarily listen to you either. Take a class.

2. Jan 4, 2017 at 9:51 AM
    bski22

bski22 Shaka Zulu \000/

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    Sub'd

3. Jan 4, 2017 at 5:43 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    You're not picking up what I'm putting down.

When a person with no knowledge on this subject reads your posts, they are going to think "Tourniquets are dangerous", "I need formal training before I should carry them", or "I need to be an experienced medic" - which is just dead wrong.

Take a vehicle roll over in the middle of nowhere where the passenger's arm flings out of the window and is partially severed by the cab as an example. That's a realistic scenario for our population here. My "untrained person with a TQ" is going to apply a purpose built TQ to the best of their ability - which is not rocket science. Even if they have a mediocre application, it's still likely to be an effective control measure for the uncontrolled bleeding. What is your "untrained person without a TQ" going to do?

My reference to 15 years is not how long I took to understand TQ application, that's how long we've been at war as a nation. GWOT is the first major conflict the US military has fought in which we wide spread issued and encouraged the use of purpose built TQs. The survival rates for extremity wounds have drastically improved as a result.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    mattmayhem, RogueTRD, bski22 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jan 4, 2017 at 5:56 PM
    austinrauh

austinrauh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    05 AC OR
  5. Jan 4, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    you are picking up things I never put down, because I never said you shouldn't ever apply a tq, merely to use caution. You are free to to give out medical advice over the internet, I am merely suggsting people take a class. I am also not saying you are wrong, I do not doubt your experience or service.

I don't want people to take my word for it, I want them to take a class. Simple as that.

Good day, and thank you for your service. Stay safe.

Mxpatriot[OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 12, 2017 at 1:16 PM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    I haven't seen this mentioned so I'm going to mention it now. I've found one of the single most important things you can carry for emergencies is a couple hundred dollars in cash and a credit card with no balance.

When trying to source help, parts or a tow the last thing you need to worry about is getting ahold of the funds to do so.

7. Jan 12, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Oath. Tore up my main wiring harness on a wheeling trip that ended up with me being stranded 400 miles from home. AAA got me halfway back and from there I was on my own. Found a tow for the rest of the way and the driver was startled to have me hand him $800 in cash.

We keep an AAA premier or platinum - they change the name back and forth - card current as you get allot of great benefits out of it. If they can't tow you within a reasonable time they will reimburse the cost of a hotel room.

SC2SC likes this.
  8. Jan 12, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    Good call. I need to add AAA. I have roadside through my insurance and through Verison(Oddly enough it's really good and cheap, I thinks it's $5/month, I've used it twice) but a well known company like AAA would be nice. Hell if one cant tow me the whole way, drop the truck and I'll call the next

9. Jan 12, 2017 at 3:16 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Good call. I keep forgetting I let my AAA lapse like 2 years ago. Was a member for the better part of the last decade and used the tow once lol. Finally just let it lapse and I keep meaning to renew.

Also agreed on the money. When I leave town or go on an offroad trip I always keep a couple hundo's on me just in case I need them.

10. Jan 13, 2017 at 6:13 PM
    mike5krnr

mike5krnr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota TRD
    3" lift, Warn 9000 winch, LED flood light, 10lb Powertank, Thule Rack, Maggiolina Roof Top Tent
    nice write up and tips. Thanks

11. Jan 16, 2017 at 11:27 AM
    Richard Bomber

Richard Bomber Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    ID via TX and CA
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD
    none yet
    Thanks for this. For now, I'll be limited to single vehicle trips. I'll just have to take it conservatively and follow your tips.

I don't want to beat the tourniquet thing to death but an important thing to know is to avoid Amazon and Ebay when buying the CAT or SOF-T tourniquet. The Milsim/airsoft crowd has created a market for fake medical supplies that are sometimes sold on those two sites. They look enough like the real thing that it can be hard to tell the difference. Stick with established medical supply companies when buying for an aid kit. I've used http://www.chinookmed.com/ in the past. They have a good selection and the prices aren't to unreasonable. Surplus stores outside military bases can be an ok source, just inspect the packaging, I bought a couple Israeli bandages about a year ago and one of them ended up having some blood on the package. I was less than pleased.

Avoid quick clot powder unless you have been trained in its use. We don't issue it anymore, and I won't carry it. From what I was told is that there were issues with the powder blowing into peoples eyes. It clots when it touches a liquid. It has been replaced by the Chitosan bandage. Seek training in their use before bothering to carry them.

I took the WEMT course from Wilderness Medical Associates a few years back. Excellent instructors. They make good use of scenarios to reinforce the classroom instruction.
    https://www.wildmed.com/

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Jan 19, 2017 at 11:58 AM
    R09ster

R09ster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport
    debadged, Bilstein 5100 all around (fronts at 1.75" sport coils), Skyjacker softride 1.5" AAL, Firestone Ride Right Airbags, 17X8.5 Method NVs, 285/70/r17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, US Offroad hidden winch mount, grillcraft grill, Sypder Auto projector headlights, blackedout LED taillights, bed extender, bedrack w/CVT Mt Shasta tent,
    bravo, sir!

13. Feb 6, 2017 at 3:15 PM
    suddenstop

suddenstop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    12' Dbl Cab, TRD Debadged
    White, Debadged, Leer Topper, 3" Fabtech Uniball Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, Full Limo Tint, Alpine Touch Screen, Fuel Rims and Grill, Remote Start, Black IPCW LED Taillights.
    Great read, thank you

14. Feb 18, 2017 at 6:28 PM
    excorcist

excorcist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '06 dcsb, '86 pickup, '89 runner

Where does AAA draw the line when it comes to off-road recoveries ? I haven't researched the subject yet but have been meaning to.. I'm not so much speaking of being stuck in mud/sand/snow as I am Broken spindle / cv / or other major failure where there is no self recovery option.

Are there certain roads / terrain they will not traverse? Is it measured by how far from pavement like somewhere I read? Does it come down to the individual who is taking the call ( I know they contract the work out sometimes) ?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  15. Feb 18, 2017 at 6:52 PM
    Lost In The Woods

Lost In The Woods 4 out of the 5 voices in my head say go for it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buckley, WA
    Vehicle:
    21 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
    An unusually high amount of pinstriping.
    I don't know about AAA, but I have had issues trying to get tow companies to come out and grab a broke down pickup on well maintained gravel roads. These are roads that are maintained for highway log trucks and lowboys. I called four companies around the area and all said they didn't do "off road recovery", this was after I explained to them that it was just a gravel road. We finally find a tow company that would come and get the truck, but it took awhile to find it.

GilbertOz and excorcist like this.
  16. Feb 18, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    AAA will try to dispatch a tow truck but the contracted operator may decline the call. In one case I had to get a buddy to tow my truck about five miles up a washboard gravel road to meet the tow because the driver refused to get any closer. That was just with bad washboards with no other hazards. Thankfully my buddy was already on scene to recover my boat and trailer.

excorcist[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 18, 2017 at 8:05 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Read the contract and no off-road recoveries. Said nothing about gravel roads but as mentioned by others, the contractor could claim it is off-road and refuse.

excorcist[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Feb 18, 2017 at 10:44 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    A lot depends on the individual tow truck driver. Some will fudge the "no offroad" thing a bit at their own risk, some won't leave pavement.

Remember that they are in heavy truck on highway tires that may or may not be 4wd.

Definitely don't count on it.

19. Feb 19, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    NicP

NicP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB
    3" Icon CO Icon Rez and AAL ProComp 7089 BFG 285 AT KO
    awsome.thanks.subbed

20. Feb 19, 2017 at 8:37 AM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    One additional thing to consider is that in cold conditions synthetic line will freeze on your winch. My buddy learned this the hard way last week. It was something I really hadn't thought of. It's a good idea to carry some de-icer when out in freezing temps.

541taco, GilbertOz and RedDemolisher like this.
To Top