1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

going from 2nd gen tacoma to 1st gen.....thoughts???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomaman06, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Jun 25, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 [OP] Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
  2. Jun 25, 2008 at 7:50 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    THATS a good one Will:) I'm rootin for you man!!!!

3. Jun 25, 2008 at 7:53 PM
    azzurri

azzurri Well-Known Member

Member:
    ya i knmw the feelinggoing threw this mix emmotion about this truck i started looking new then realized i couldnt afford a 40,000 $ truck lease payments were good but the buy back was still 17,000 i would never let this truck go... it olnly gets better with mods....
    so i started looking a 05+ used they still want 26500 i think these ppl pick a nunmber outta a hat and thats what they list the truck @.couldnt afford that. i dont want to worry about living in debt for the next 2 years i alredy have a house and soon a wedding thats the least of my worrys now

so now i was looking for a tacoma dubble cab or access 4X4 any 2001-2004
    ive been looking for a little while i might have found one with 120 KMS on it
    any problems that i should be looking for?????

4. Jun 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    So, I am confused. With a lease truck (which my first truck should have been), any modifications made to the truck would have to be undone when (and if) you return the vehicle, right?

So, what are you going to do about all the money you have sunk in mods? :confused:

5. Jun 25, 2008 at 8:22 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

more than likely......i'll take the bull bar and lights off and keep them. the bull bar may be universal.....may just need new brackets, if not....then i can sell it. i'll reuse my hella 500's, i'll take the airaid intake off and sell it and put the stock box back on, i'll take my cheap air horns out and save them for something, i'll probably keep my toolbox, or leave it with the truck......probably sell it if i dont keep it though, then all thats left are the new tires i just put on....they will stay with the truck, and i'll just leave the flowmaster muffler on there. the nerf bars were real cheap....so i may leave them on there as well.

thats the way im figuring so far.

6. Jun 25, 2008 at 8:28 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I take it you didn't keep your stock tires or your stock exhaust. I would love to have bought your exhaust. I am waiting for some one to sell a used Cat-back system - then, BAHM! My truck will get a bit more throaty (and hopefully a bit more umph).

I think most of it could be modified to fit on an -04... except the exhaust. That would require some new pipes...

7. Jun 25, 2008 at 8:45 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

i think he'd prob be better off selling the stuff he pulls and using that money to put towards mods designed for the 1st gen...save him a lot of time and effort

the toolbox MAY fit and the airhorns definately...but i doubt the bull bar and steps would even be close...im not sure but id bet the frame sizes are a lot different

will...i think the first step is to see if the dealer will take any steps to help you get out of the lease because of the problems...if they will...then see if theyre willing to find you a clean 1st gen for a decent price AND provide financing...id start looking now though...like i said i waited 6 months for my truck...id hate for you to get the dealer to break the lease and take the truck back and then you have no wheels for 6 months while you look for a vehicle...that might cause you to hurry and possibly not get as good of a deal or end up with something you dont really want

8. Jun 25, 2008 at 9:11 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    nah....didnt keep the stock exhaust....mainly because the first place i got my first exhaust done....tossed it:rolleyes:. if i had it....trust me, you'd get a good deal on my flowmaster man.

9. Jun 25, 2008 at 9:16 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    im pretty sure the toolbox will fit.....as its actually for the smaller, narrower bed of the older tacoma. and for the bull bar and nerfs.......i dont really even want them on whatever i get.....more like sliders and brush guard.

im gonna ride to the dealer tomorrow or friday.........talk to the service manager and see if there will be a way they can help me out, he's a pretty nice guy. after searching around here..........and some miles from here, i have found some nice used(01 to 04) 4x4 tacomas.....double cab and ext. cab.

10. Jun 26, 2008 at 9:05 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    if you pay the fee, i dont see how it can hurt your credit. plus, i have discovered that it takes a while to damage your credit. i went a full year without paying my college loans, one is through the state and the other is through citi bank. i figured since i wasn't using my degree i wasnt gonna pay for it :) the collection agencies had a different opinion though. i had the money to pay i just didnt want to. anyway, after i started getting really threatening letters i started paying. and when i went to buy my truck i was borderline excellent credit. i wouldn't worry about that

11. Jun 26, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Here is a silver double cab. Non trd, but Auto with 4x4. $17,999 with 65K miles. Link

12. Jun 26, 2008 at 3:31 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    check out the link.....54 listings(3 or 4 pages) worth of first gen tacomas!!!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...ors=&max_price=&pager.offset=0&first_record=1

talked to one of the salesmen about getting outta the lease today..........and i think we are leaning toward trading out of the lease, and the guy is looking for a first gen for me. i sent him,thru email, alot of the links you awesome fellas have given me, as well as some i had found. hopefully.....we will do something soon.

i was just wanting to pay the early termination fee, but i wasnt thinking about the negative equity i had going into the lease....trading the ford that i had. instead of what i thought was gonna be $1240.......its actually more like $6140 or so:eek::mad::rolleyes:. no more leases for me ever. so now.....im just gonna trade outta the lease. i know there will be extras added to the price of whatever i get, but im gonna keep it for a long time, so thats ok i reckon!! thanks for everyone's opinions and all so far!!!

13. Jun 26, 2008 at 4:05 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    quick question for ya'll.......how much room is there in the xtra cab?? and how many doors is it?? i know its not really like the 05 and up extended cab with the 4 doors, but im just wondering. anyone have any available pics with the doors opened so i can kinda see what it looks like??

14. Jun 26, 2008 at 4:26 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    The ONLY reason I sold my '98 Extra Cab 4x4 was that I wanted MORE ROOM inside! The xtar cab has just 2 doors. The seats move forward and fold down so you can put things in the back, but its nowhere near as convenient or as roomy as the Gen1 Double Cab.

However a lot of people think there's sufficient room in the extra cab to suit them, and to be honest I was one of these for a long time! But now that I'm in the '03 Double Cab I'm truly in hog heaven as far as room and access inside the truck is concerned..

15. Jun 26, 2008 at 4:33 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    thanks for the insight man:).

im thinking i should go for the double cab, since sooner or later, me and the wifey will have a kid, so i'll need the room for that.

16. Jun 26, 2008 at 4:39 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    Thats the way it works! Ya keep pokin' fun and one day she takes you serious!! When that happens and a new Tacomaman (or girl) arrives on the scene, you'll be grateful that you've got four doors and a back seat to work with..

17. Jun 26, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah....thats what im thinking. i guess though, that i'll have to get used to the small bed. if i mount a toolbox, essentially, there wont really be any bed left, but thats just here and there anyway.

18. Jun 26, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    The short bed on the Double Cab is right at 5' x 5'. With a fold away bed extender it will accommodate as much as the longer bed does without adding to your overall wheel base..

19. Jun 26, 2008 at 5:07 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    this is very true. im still between the two, but even if i get the extra cab, i can still deal with what room is available behind the seats. thanks for helping me remember the option of the bed extender.

20. Jun 26, 2008 at 7:23 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i called the salesman that i talked to back and told him to add extra cab to the list to search for. either way...............its gonna be an awesome truck!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top