1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going from Tundra to Tacoma later this month

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cdstelly, May 24, 2011.

1. May 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    cdstelly

cdstelly [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi everyone - you all have beautiful trucks just fyi.

Gas prices are ridiculous. I'm planning on going from my 08 Tundra (5.7L V8 double cab) to a new Tacoma later this month. I never use the whole engine, and aside from pulling a little john boat or some kayaks I never even hitch.

I love the look of single cab tacomas, so my instinct is to go for a 4cyl 4x2, prerunner edition.. (super white, of course!). I don't plan on climbing with it, but a few trails now and then are on the agenda.

Is it a mistake to short myself with the prerunner instead of 4x4? Or with the single cab?

Any other comments?? Thanks!

2. May 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    jaw154

jaw154 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Off road
    Soon...
    If your going to use 4 wheel drive then get it. If you are not then dont. simple as that. DONT get a 2WD and then complain about not getting a 4X4. do it right the first time

3. May 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, OME 3" Lift w/OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates.
    If you plan to off road, Get the 4x4! If you like trail riding, you will be kicking yourself in the future if you get a Pre Runner.

4. May 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Single cab, 4x4, super white. Do it now!

5. May 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Welcome to TW. A nice standard cab Prerunner will serve you just fine IF you don't live where it snows. I would really consider 4 WD if you get measurable snow in your area.

6. May 24, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    Texoma

Texoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Poweraid TB spacer, a bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA 2035s headers and dey are perty, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, LR UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, 5 factory 16" steels wit Pep Boys special Dakota Definity MT's in 285/75/16, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more but it's alre
    I had a single cab pre runner for my first toyota truck. Lated 2 yrs then I got an access cab 4x4 v6, that lasted 2yrs then I got a tundra 4x4 v8, that lasted 3yrs, now I got a dbl cab 4x4 v6. Back in the pre runner da and access cab days I was single and w/o children. Tundra and dbl cab days I got lots o kids to haul. Once they're gone, hell tacomas will fly. Get what your needs are, but I would suggest getting a 4x4.

7. May 24, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    SR54x4

SR54x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SR5 Tundra
    Magnaflow 12588, TSC lo-pro extra deep toolbox, step bars and bull bar
    get 4x4

8. May 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    What about a Pre Runner with LSD? If he isn't doing heavy mudding or snow, wouldn't that work for his needs?

9. May 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Say no to Bro

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    It's got LSD man.....
    I'd say go for a Reg Cab 4x4 5spd if you can swing it. Great platform for just about anything. It's pretty rare that people regret getting 4x4...not so much the other way around.

BTW- What kind of mileage are you getting out of your Tundra?

10. May 25, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Damn, you want to go from a double cab tundra to a single cab tacoma?? I'd take a hard look at the MPG differences to see how much you'll actually save in the long run. What are you getting now with the Tundra? Only reason I ask is trading vehicles just for better mileage is a tough sell. Even if you pick up 5 MPG's, with what you lose on the trade vs keeping the original vehicle, it takes a long time to make that kind of money back. Just something to think about...

11. May 25, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    cdstelly

cdstelly [OP] Member

Member:
    Very true, however the tundra would go to a family member who is planning on buying a tundra anyways, so this plan kills two birds with one stone.

Picking between the prerunner and 4x4 really relies only on if a pretunner with LSD will work for a few easy trails. Going with the prerunner saves a couple bones, and as oldtacomaguy says it should be fine considering I live in south louisiana and have seen snow a handful of times in my life :D. However davtopgun and most others say the 4x4 no question which is what I'm leaning to now.. Does the whole no snow thing change your minds?

And thanks boys yalls insights are appreciated.

12. May 25, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    tommyc

tommyc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tommy
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5, TRD
    Dude say No to the prerunner and get the 4x4, no single cab to small.

13. May 25, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    I have trouble believing you'll be happy going from the luxury and power of a double cab 5.7 liter Tundra to a 4 cylinder single cab Tacoma. If you didn't need the towing or the interior space, why did you buy it? Make sure you won't regret losing the tundra.

And definitely get 4X4. Helps your resale value and will get you out of a bind more than a time or two.

14. May 25, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Asking people on here What to get is a mistake, you are going to get biased answers with people endorsing THEIR preference. Get the Tacoma that suits you and your lifestyle best. Go to the dealership and test drive a few different combinations. Getting options you don't need is just plain foolish. oh and welcome:wave:

15. May 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    ^^^ That little waving guy makes me want to punt puppies. STOP WAVING AT ME YOU LITTLE FREAK

16. Jun 5, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    PudgiesinWaverly

PudgiesinWaverly Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pudge
    Jersey Mountains
    Vehicle:
    No truck yet
    I say keep the tundra. However since you can unload to a family member then get the DCLB, unless you want the OR TRD, then go for the DBSB OR.

If you're worried about gas, you need to rethink vehicle type altogether, or move to the proper country and get the diesel hilux.

17. Jun 5, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    sean266

sean266 #ThinBlueLine Moderator

Member:
    I ALMOST walked out w/ a Tundra prior to this Tacoma. Tundra was cheaper, had more power, his/her thermostat, etc.
    BUT, Tacoma will hold their value longer, cheaper on gas, plenty of power (4.0L) and make great wheelers.
    4x4 is a no-brained if u plan on taking it off-road plus and may help u when u need it most. At the end of the day it comes down to what u want. Don't eff up and get something you'll regret

18. Jun 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    GuapOh

GuapOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 MT
    Skid Plate, Hood Protector, Wheel Locks, Snugtop XV, Yakima Rack, Weathertechs, Sick Speed Shifter, Avid Bumper, Avid Sliders, Bilstien 5100's, TSB Spring packs

Your instincts are right on gas. However, I strongly recommend you get the 4 Cylinder 4x4. It is nearly a name your price situation when you sell it since they are in such high demand.

I love my 2011 2.7 4x4. I too came from a gas hog (2000 Silverado Z71 4x4). The Taco is the 4th Toyota 4x4 I've owned. They go everywhere. You wil not regret it.

To Top