1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

going to buy a Taco in a few months. double cab or ext.?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ne0tas, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The reason why we got the DC was if we needed to haul the family somewhere, or if me and my friends are going out.

Imo, the A/C is like having a portion of the bed on the inside to store things you don't want to leave out in the open. I don't know how comfortable it would be for passengers lol, i have a DC :D.

2. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Funny thing is that I was looking for exactly that, but it doesn't exist, I drove the manual tranny and I didn't like it, even though I'm a huge manual guy, then I was looking for a DC 2x4 LB with a locker, used with like 25,000 miles on it, searched for months, even had a dealership who deals in useds tacos looking as well. Couldn't find shit. When the Unforgiven popped up, I wasn't really looking for 4X4, but I needed to make a decision so I pulled the trigger. I knew I wanted the DC cuz occasionally I will haul people and I like the fact that I can lock tools in there and the 4x4? Well now I find reasons to go off-road!
    Definitely get the DC, with a long-bed and a ball hitch you're right about 20 feet long so make sure you're OK with drivin a school bus. I gave up tryin to park in lots with small spaces, either they are too narrow or they are always too short. I usually pull through the opposite space and pull through just enough not to stick the front too far out into traffic. This means I am taking a little bit of the first space as well. OR, I just roll in and take up like four spaces like I own the joint!
    You may want to consider the later years, the ones that have the rear-camera option (08+?), I usually know that I am far enuff back in a parking spot when I punch in the front license plate of the car behind me with the ball-hitch! :D:D:D:D

Just kidding, I don't really punch people's plates in.........most of the time.

3. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I know how driving a big truck is, neither of my current trucks are nimble, and right now I have my dads 4d, long bed(8ft) Dodge 6sp because he stole my Honda to go to Arizona in... I havent driven a Toyota pickup since I got rid of my 89 extended cab, v6, manual trans in 06, which I absolutely loved. There was a DC SB TRD auto at the chevy dealer in my town, but the day before i went to look at it it sold, of course:rolleyes:. I would like to drive both and decide on my own. Everything I own right now is auto, and I hate it. Plus I like the 1st gear, 4 lo coming down steep hills, autos try to run away.

4. Apr 16, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    Nitro375

Nitro375 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    L.J.
    Western, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    06,DC,SR5,4x4,TRD OffRoad,V6,Auto
    Luminics yellow fog bulbs. Canopy
    Heres the thing, the DC can do anything the AC can do plus some. And if you have things you want to haul inside the seats fold down and form a nice cargo area. Or if you have a dog through down a blanket or mat like I do to keep them from sliding around and away you go. Its easier to load people and stuff in and out of etc. Don't get me wrong I think the access cab is nice and for some it fits the bill, but if you have a family or ride with more than one friend from time to time the DC is the way to go.

5. Apr 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    DCLB 4x4 does everything I need it to do , it all depends on what you intend as the primary use of the truck .

6. Apr 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    I just bought a Tacoma last week, and took months to decide. Here what made my decision.
    If you can buy it, get the Double Cab, TRD, 4x4, longbox
    Thats the kings shit right there, best Tacoma to buy.
    If thats out of your budget, then get the cheapest one that you like. I couldnt afford to pay the 40-45 k for the exact one I was (DC, long box, TRD) so I bought an access cab 2.7 SR5. Still love the truck I got and will do me fine. Wouldnt be able to live with myself if I spent more and still didnt get EXACTLY what I wanted. I dont mind the I4 motor because Im not trying to go fast, and the trailor I will tow is well under the 3500lbs max. The rear seats are small yes, but I would inpregnate my girlfriend anytime soon and ruin that tight little body she has :D, so really why do I care about the seats? Still has the 6' box, and love the look.

7. Apr 16, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    EXACT same for me. I drove the V6 manual and fucking hated it. Crappy short gears, and just overall didnt like it. Auto was nice though, loved that

8. Apr 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    We just got our first Tacoma about 3 weeks ago. We got the access cab TRD Off Road 4x4 auto V6. We looked at the I4, and the we didn't think it would do for what we wanted, so we looked at the V6. Great truck, even at just the base model, and it's only a tad more for the SR5, and only just a tad more to get the TRD. So that was that. The auto works great, and after 12 years of manual (not including the years of military driving), it's a nice change, especially with my back condition, to just point and shoot. Just look at all the options on the Toyota site and compare based on what you need and what you can afford. What ever you get well be the right choice for you. Best of luck on your search.

Also welcome to the forum. I think you'll be able to find all the information you need to help in your search here.

Frank

9. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    4 lo in first is fine with the auto, i suspect it would feel the same in a manual. Not to echo what the other guys said here BUT, the DC long bed is the shit dude, absofrigginlutely LOVE this truck! If fact I like my truck more than i like most people! :D

10. Apr 17, 2011 at 2:31 AM
    ne0tas

ne0tas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    None. :[
    Hmm the double cab sounds like the right way to go haha.
    I also plan on doing a lot of off-roading as well. So the trd offroad 4x4 will probably be suffice. But is there a difference in the length of the truck with the regular and short cab? I don't plan on hauling a lit..just when I need it.and some towing as well

11. Apr 17, 2011 at 2:34 AM
    ne0tas

ne0tas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    None. :[
    And a stick shift too
    More of a challenge it seems like then just pressi.g the gas pedal and turning the wheel lol

12. Apr 17, 2011 at 3:05 AM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    While a longer wheelbase provides a nicer ride on the highway it makes things more difficult offroad. (less maneuverability on tight trails, easier to hangup on berms, etc.) Toyota knows this, and kept the longer wheelbase options away from the "Offroad" version. As far as the 6speed TRD offroad...they are available if you order it that way from the factory but to find one just sitting in a dealer's lot is very rare.

Products Discussed in

To Top