1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going to Pismo - got some questions

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by AZ4point0, May 17, 2012.

1. May 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    EL ROJO

EL ROJO B==D~~

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Camarillo
    Just be careful on this atvs member shemicals buddy went to big 1st dune an got fucked up
    [​IMG]
    He is smiling here but sure wasn't strapped to the back board :rolleyes:

2. May 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Central Valley Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    -14 psi up front.
    -10 psi in the rear.

-Recovery strap

Besides food and camping gear these are the basic needs when venturing out into the dunes.

3. May 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Central Valley Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was right behind Matt when it happened.....it was pretty damn awesome.

4. May 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I'm a local. Had my fill of the dunes a long time ago. Too many drunk idiots for me.

As far as driving: air down to 15psi, any lower and you are risking losing a bead, unless you have onboard air, hi lift jack, bumpers to lift with a hi lift, etc, you don't want to deal with this. If you have 4WD, and you air down, you'll have no problems with a stock Tacoma. A prerunner with the rear locker engaged should do okay as well. Just requires a little more momentum.

Once you drive off the beach and into the dunes on "sand highway", it's pretty well marked and not really all that challenging if you stay on sand highway. Once you get out to where the hill climb areas are, just sit and watch for awhile. You'll be able to see where the buggies belong and where the stock Tacomas belong.:D

Always climb straight up a dune and go straight down. If you get sideways you can roll over. In a 4x4, the best thing to do if you start to get sideways is steer the frontend straight and give it some gas. The front wheels will pull you back in line. I've never driven a locked up prerunner out there, I'd imagine it's a lot more dangerous to get sideways in a 2WD, and a locker would seem to make that worse.

There is a single Chevron station on Grand Ave in Grover Beach that has lots of free compressed air to air back up. There also used to be a coin op car wash there too, not sure if it's still there. I used to pressure wash underneath as soon as I got off the sand. Then I'd use soap and water the following morning. Beach salt and rust is no joke.

DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE! State park rangers are out there. Sometimes in trucks, sometimes in quads. They have a sandrail also. It may seem like an anything goes type of place sometimes, but it's not.

Oh yeah, check the tides before you go. There is a creek crossing on the beach that is questionable in a stock truck when the tide is up. We used to sit and watch people get stuck in that creek at high tide. I have seen a few engines lost in there too. I used to time our arrival and departure to occur at low tide. If you are camping, definitely be aware when setting up camp.

There are quad rental companies here also if you feel like going fast. I second all the cautions about slip faces and drop offs in the dunes. It can be dangerous if you don't know where all the bad spots are. Take it slow.

Edit: Last I heard they are requiring an orange flag and whip on all vehicles in the dunes. Used to be just the quads.

5. May 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    EL ROJO

EL ROJO B==D~~

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Camarillo
    Yes the spray wash is still there.

2wd locker ain't that bad. I'm 4x but I put it in 2wd all the time out there, to make it fair for the other 2wders (and it's fun). Just take it easy and don't push it u will be fine.

Whip n flag are required. They sell them all over up there. Several lil moto stores right before u enter where can get one. if u don't have a mount just shut it in ur tailgate.

6. May 19, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    1997 White AC 5-Lug
    *and here comes brian to save the day*

hey all :wave:

dear OP,

you will be perfectly fine. as long as like people have stated before, air down. its a night and day difference. i personally go 12psi in the front and 10psi in the rear. stop either on somewhat harder packed flat ground or and little down hill. if you want to try and open the taco up a bit, make sure you "pre-run" the area first to see if it has any razor backs or whoops (wash boards) other than that, have fun dude :thumbsup: dont loose hope in a 2wd in sand people.. its more capable than you think.

7. May 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    EL ROJO

EL ROJO B==D~~

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Camarillo
    ^ ask him how he knows :D

8. May 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Central Valley Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    I'm 4x4 but mobbin in 2wd is waaay more fun.

Also OP, when descending on a hill keep your tires pointed straight unless you want to roll your tire off of the bead.

9. May 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    AZ4point0

AZ4point0 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    V
    Northern AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Tacoma TRD Off Road, V6, Yokohama Geolander AT/S, TRD Exhaust, AFE Intake
    Thanks again to all of you for the info,

i am not by any means trying to jump my Tacoma this first try in the sand dunes,
    wanna go check it out and cruise around, waited a long time to pay a junk of money for this truck, i'll leave that for people who have a truck built to run the dunes.
    i do have to drive to LA afterwards and back home, really wouldn't want to be stuck there with a broken truck.

We are gonna be there June 21st and 22nd - Fri evening its of to Hell A.

10. May 22, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    dirty dangler

dirty dangler GFO DMC LBR

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    simi valley,ca
    Vehicle:
    86 4runner bone stock
    wiper blades and a new battery
    you must realize your truck weighs half as much as most peoples...not all 2wd smash like yours....fist pump

11. May 22, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    1997 White AC 5-Lug
    ive done it in my dads truck before. i think a lot of it has to deal with driver skill as well

12. May 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Air down and keep momentum up is most of it. Limited slip rear helps too.

We used to go out there with a guy in a early 70's 2wd half ton Dodge. He went most places we did....he'd been riding quads out there since he could walk.

13. Jun 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    AZ4point0

AZ4point0 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    V
    Northern AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Tacoma TRD Off Road, V6, Yokohama Geolander AT/S, TRD Exhaust, AFE Intake
    Is this August 3rd date still active for Pismo Meet, had to make some changes in my plans here and have to take the Subaru instead of the truck next week but thinking i might come out for this date as well and bringing the truck!!

To Top