1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

gonna paint my rims

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by xGManx, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Oct 31, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    xGManx

xGManx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    South
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB
    black rims, blacked out grille, blacked out exhaust tip, 5100's 1.75" with 2" rear block, pioneer head unit
    this is the way i think im gonna do it. ive been looking around and this seems like the safest/best way

1. jack the truck up, take the wheels off
    2.wash em off, get a wire brush on a power drill for the grime, and some kind of alcohol just to really clean them
    3.tape up the edges of the tires
    4. not 100% on the primer im gonna use but im thinking krylon
    5. let that dry then put first layer of krylon flat black, then put a second layer on for good measure once the first layer is dry
    6. for the center caps i want to leave the toyota emblem chrome so i guess i'll tape it up.
    7. cant decide if i should paint the lug nuts too or if i should get gorilla black nuts.
    8. put fans by the rims and let em dry in the shop overnight

What do you guys think?
    any suggestions on how to cover the emblem on the center cap? i could use masking tape or something i guess.
    im also hesitating on painting the nuts, cause i want black all around but if i have to change the tire or something i dont want the paint getting taken off by the wrench.
    I know i want flat black, but are there any primers out there that you guys have used that did well? how many layers of primer and paint did you use? whats the best combination? ive used krylon on anodized metal before and it was good but that was a paintball gun...not truck wheels lolhttp://i.cdn.tacomaworld.com/host/tacomaworld/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

2. Nov 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Be sure you sand the rims before priming to take any sheen off of them.

I used rustoleum automotive primer and semi-gloss black enamel. 3 coats of each. It's held up for 6 months now without a single chip.

If you are going to use a fan to dry them make sure the shop is really clean. Don't want any dust getting thrown onto the tacky paint!

Good luck!

3. Nov 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
  4. Nov 1, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    IslandBoy71

IslandBoy71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner Sport SR5 DC
    TRD Intake,Flowmaster Super 10 exhaust, King 2.5 c/o adjusted to 3inch front and King 2.5 rears w/AAL. Custom bed rack, rock sliders and rear tire carrier.
    No need to tape up the the edges use index cards instead it will save you time. Which center caps do you have? if you have the 16 inch TRD off road you can remove the chrome center cap emblem and glue it back after.

5. Nov 1, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
    X2 on the index card thing ...... i didnt know about it when i did mine. it would have saved loads of time

6. Nov 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    xGManx

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    South
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB
    black rims, blacked out grille, blacked out exhaust tip, 5100's 1.75" with 2" rear block, pioneer head unit
    ah yeah the index cards sound easier, i have these rims,[​IMG]

7. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    IslandBoy71

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake,Flowmaster Super 10 exhaust, King 2.5 c/o adjusted to 3inch front and King 2.5 rears w/AAL. Custom bed rack, rock sliders and rear tire carrier.
    I have those rim painted black. The center cap emblems can be taken off and reglued if you dont want them painted black. I took mine completely off gonna put on some TRD center cap emblems if i could find the right rize. I used a total of 2 cans of primer and 4 cans of Dupli color wheel paint. I still have about 3/4 can left of the dupli color paint.

8. Nov 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    xGManx

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    South
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB
    do you have any good pics of your wheels? and did you use a similar process as to what im planning on?

9. Nov 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    IslandBoy71

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    the prep part is pretty much the same. I didnt use any tape I used index cards, I didnt use any fan cuz it might blow dirt or lint on the wheel while drying. The Dupli color wheel paint dries to the touch in about 30 mins. I applied about 3 coats letting it dry about 10 mins between coats. I let it baked under the sun for about 2-3 hrs then mounted them back on the truck. I've had them on for almost 8 months and no chipping yet. I've taken it on trails and so far no rock chips.

I have a buddy who used Plati Dip on his wheels and it turned out great. no sanding or anything just wash it and spray. If you decide later you want to go back to stock you can pretty much just peel off the paint. if you want to see more of it just youtube "plasti dip wheel paint" theres alot of videos on it.

10. Nov 9, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    So the one can of primer and 2 cans of paint i bought won't be enough?

11. Nov 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    IslandBoy71

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    thats not enough plus its better to have a little extra if you need to do touch ups later.

12. Nov 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    IslandBoy71

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    I dont have a close up pic of the wheel but I have this one
    truck5.jpg

13. Nov 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    &erson

&erson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunshine State
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5
    Wet Okoles, Weathertechs, All-Pro Rear Bumper/Hitch & Sliders
    x2 for no fans

14. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    xGManx

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    South
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB
    ok so no fan haha.
    those wheels look sick dude. I have a long bed silver DC so i was wondering how black wheels would look, im impressed
    so 2 cans of primer
    4 cans of duplicolor wheel paint
    index cards
    how essential is sanding and how do you know when your done?

15. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    IslandBoy71

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    Well heres exactly what I did on mine after I removed the wheels off the truck.
    1. wash wheels I used dishwashing liquid to help remove any oil or grime.
    2. i used a green scotch brite with some simple green and scrub the wheel. this also helps to rough up the surface to be painted.
    3. dry wheels
    4. I used a Dupli Color surface prep and start laying out some index cards
    5. at this point the wheel should be dry and ready for primer
    6. spray first coat of primer give it about 10 mins in between coats. I used two coats on mine.
    7. I gave the primer about 1 hour to dry then I laid my first coat of Dupli color wheel paint.
    8. I gave it about 10 mins to dry between coats I used a total of 4 coats.
    9. remove index card and let it dry under the sun for about 1-2hrs before remounting on the truck.

I did not drive the truck for another 8 hrs after but thats because i didnt need to but the wheels are pretty much dry after a couple of hours. I've had them on for a while now and so far so good. I havent had to do any touch ups or anything. The Dupli color wheel paint is pretty tough.

16. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    bsblbryan

bsblbryan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD Offroad
    Flowmaster exhaust, K&N air filter, painted decals, tint, Billy 5100s set at 2.5", 1.5" AAL, Billy 5100s rear, blacked out rims, deck plate mod
    Different rims, but same concept. I would definitely suggest sanding your rims. Pain in the ass, but better results. I took a picture of the rim after I was done sanding. Knocked down that clear coat on top and you can see the roughed up surface. I also included a picture afterward it was all dry. I used self-etching primer and a flat black Rust-oleum wheel paint I got at Autozone.

Not sure what kind of weights they used to balance your rims, but be sure to mark where your weights are with tape if they are on the outside of your rim.

After Sanding:
    [​IMG]

Totally Complete:
    [​IMG]

17. Nov 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    IslandBoy71

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    Make sure when you get your wheels balance to have them use weights that sticks on the inside part of the rim. Not the one that clips to the lip.

18. Nov 15, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    yes no fans at all. what i did was make sure the area i was working at was clean and i used a blow dryer on low power. and everything came out just fine

19. Nov 18, 2010 at 1:51 AM
    TRDSport2011

TRDSport2011 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB
    Pro Comp 3" Lift, Rear AAL
    Islandboy71, what kind of tires do you have? and do you have any lift on it?

20. Nov 18, 2010 at 2:16 AM
    IslandBoy71

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    BFG A/T 285/75/16 3 inch toytec w/ AALs

Products Discussed in

To Top