1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

good alternate to $1200 toyota oem cat converter

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by prerunnerSD, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jun 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    webb323

webb323 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 Regular Cab (sold), 2014 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Have any of you used an eastern catalytic cat? Rockauto has one for $110 direct fit. I just dont want to buy a converter and it not make the light go out

2. Jun 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    prerunnerSD

prerunnerSD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Limited 6 cylinder 4X4
    Grill guard Front and rear Bilstein 5100's Front Coilovers Rear AAL "I Brake for Tailgaters" Firestone Destination A/T (P265/75/R16)
    purchased a cat from catco that was specifically indicated by the state of California for my vehicle from ebay for $170 new. Had a mechanic weld it in for $80. They then turned off the code and its been off for 24 hours and it seems like the emissions are a lot less bad. I can't believe people would put in a kit to trick the sensors to not worry about the emissions, you are breathing that air too, especially when you are in the truck and the windows are open and you are stuck at a red light

[​IMG]

Note the codes and model numbers have to match the "engine group" code which is on the emissions sticker under the hood of the car for it to legally pass California smog laws.

Aftermarket, Performance, and Add-On Parts Regulations
    This page last reviewed June 6, 2012

Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Aug 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    swdockter

swdockter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Burbs, IL
    2" lift, 5100s, AAL, K&N, Deck Plate, 375K and counting
    CEL still off? I have 217,000+ and need new ones....

4. May 10, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    prerunnerSD

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Grill guard Front and rear Bilstein 5100's Front Coilovers Rear AAL "I Brake for Tailgaters" Firestone Destination A/T (P265/75/R16)
    Its been about two years and my check engine light came on again. This time with the same code that made me initiate this question in the first place. The P0420 Bank 1 engine code was pulled. In the past I first replaced the upstream sensor, which did not fix the code followed by installing a brand new rear catalytic convertor, model: CATCO 712009 Catalytic Converter which fixed the problem. I hadn't gotten a new check engine code in 2 years and last year the truck passed its smog test.

Now that the code is currently back, I reset it once to see if it was a fluke and it came back after about 2 days (70 miles) is it possible that this new Catalytic Converter has failed after 2 years, or is it possible there is a new problem that I should work on or look into.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. May 10, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    Tacoma1995

Tacoma1995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Tiffany The Tacoma
    I got a Magnaflow direct bolt up from Advance, no problems. Also, got OEM gaskets, the ones it came with were junk.

6. May 10, 2014 at 6:31 PM
    prerunnerSD

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Good for you, I hope its just the cat that I just installed that just failed because I believe by california law (where this truck is registered) they have to provide a 5 year or 50,000 mile warranty. I did extensive research back when this problem came up as to what cat to put in to it but its possible it failed after 2 years after nothing is infallible. Is it at all possible that my front cat has failed too or would that pull a different code? Firestone Complete Auto Car wanted me to do a $99 diagnostic but I rebuffed that offer until I could do more research.

7. May 11, 2014 at 1:16 AM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    Seafoam it?

8. May 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    prerunnerSD

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    The Seafoam literally worked! I first used 1/3 a can in vacuum lines and rest in tank and drove around for 30 mins. Lots of smoke and crud came out. Then I added some higher octane gas and got another can of seafoam and put half the can through vacuum lines and rest in tank and the smoke began again. I think it also helped that I sat there in "N" in just revved the engine because that seemed to push out more smoke then driving at 55mpg alone. Wondering if anyone has thoughts on that?

The check engine light has not come on and its been 3 days, when idling already I already notice less emission smell when my windows are down and I'm idling at a stop light, better MPG and I have also noticed my engine seems to purr a little better.

All around a great thing and its possible I never needed to replace my cat the first time even. We will see what happens but I am even tempted to do one final treatment of the seafoam just because it seemed to help so much and I do enjoy seeing all that stuff get shot out of the exhaust. Is that stuff all really hydrocarbon buildup or would that happen in a brand new car?!

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  9. May 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    mustangstephen

mustangstephen raise hell, drink beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.
    It's going to come back on. Welcome to the problem of not replacing with OEM cats. You have 3 options. 1) replace with now 1300-1400 OEM cats and get 10ish years of life out of them. 2) replace with another non OEM cat and get by 1-2 more years. 3) accept that these trucks are just finicky with the cat code, your cat is probably still good, and get the URD simulator and if you're still worried about the air around your vehicle put a plant in the cab/bed. It'll do more good for the than your cat ever will. ;)

I'll make one note. If your emissions test includes the dildo getting shoved in the tail pipe then the simulator may not be an option. If all they do is check that there are no codes you will pass. I'm not sure which test you have. I have the sim on both my Toyotas. One of the best products I ever bought.

10. May 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    prerunnerSD

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Gee talk about a killjoy, LOL. The aftermarket cat that I previously installed is approved for my vehicle by California Executive Order, it has to meet very specific standards or it simply can not be installed in the largest automobile market in North America.

If one tree could soak up all the toxins that a engine exudes there would simply be no air pollution problem.

My intention is not to simulate anything but to do the RIGHT thing. Not to mention California does do an actual scientific test of the emissions and I would say that because the Golden State is usually on the leading edge of these kind of new laws that this will soon become the standard in many places so I'd advise against people from using devices like this, unless its for testing purposes.

Once I figured it all out California made it quite simple to find the right CAT to put in my vehicle, and if you think about it with all the shady mechanics out there having this standard is a good thing and the consumer protection laws are in place to help me in the event this CAT failed to soon.

Because I travel a lot and I use my truck in other states its also possible that the gas I am putting in my truck is causing more emissions and clogging the cat. Calif also has laws and standards on the purity of the gasoline which also impacts emissions. This might sound a little draconian to most but the air quality in California has actually improved drastically since they put stricter smog laws into effect over the last several years. Think of all the little children that won't grow up with asthma or worse because of these changes.

I am thinking the Seafoam helped clean out all the gunk that states which have lower standards as far as gas purity have caused to buildup in my engine and CAT.

Is there any danger in Seafoaming to much or to frequent?

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Tuluk likes this.
  11. Jul 30, 2014 at 8:18 PM
    scootn2nature

scootn2nature ttora member since 2001

Member:
    orinda
    Vehicle:
    2000 2.7l sr5
    bentup sliders, tjm t17, badland rear,custom leafsprings, fabtech performance co's,
    as far as Higher octane goes ........... means lower cumbustion temps

lower octane burns hotter......and our engines really don't have the tight tolerances requiring higher octane like a porche ......your chainsaw will like higher octane its a high performance motor..... bmw ferarri race cars etc.

all that crud is first going through the cats..... It would be best to remove them do it and use the sea foam directly on the cats heat them up with o torch or something. dont get me wrong I love sea foam If it was 80% cheaper it would be the best selling most useful product ever.

12. Jul 31, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    SMG

SMG Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off Road Premium
    OEM LED Headlights, TRD Pro Taillights.
  13. Jul 7, 2023 at 3:17 PM
    csrf

csrf Active Member

Member:
    thread revive
    OP, it's a million years later, but what ended up happening with your cat? Did you end up having to get it replaced or was it permanently fixed by using the seafoam?

Products Discussed in

To Top