1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good deal on an 02 Double Cab?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by eternus, May 10, 2009.

1. May 10, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    eternus

eternus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 MGM DCSB TRD OffRoad
    http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1163678146.html

It's a 3.4l V6, SR5 & TRD Prerunner.

I'd like to get 4wd but really if this can handle snow and hauling things about, its hard to beat a 54k mile truck thats only 7 yrs old.

Could I get a sanity check on why this might be a bad idea? Thanks. (c:

2. May 10, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    That doesn't seem bad. From those pics it looks pretty good. I sold my 02 tacoma in 07 for 14k I had the sr5 package no shell or TRD. I alos had some 70k miles.

3. May 10, 2009 at 1:42 PM
    eternus

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, was yours a 4x2 or 4x4? This will be a semi-daily driver for me and I will do some light trail work but not much rock climbing. Was there anything that really sucked about the 02?

Thanks again!

4. May 10, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Sorry mine was a 2wd. Well to me I hated the lack of power. Which is why I got rid of it and bought my 07. Then I joined this forum and learned that the reason my truck had so little power was due to a bad Mass Air Sensor. My brother now owns an 01 and has plenty of power and makes great fuel mileage. normal for him is 21, also a 4dr 2wd SR5 no TRD. I have no experience with TRD. I loved my truck but was makine 14mpg and had no power, and the dealers weren't helping me. I had that truck for 5yrs. As it was progressively getting worse, If I would have had this site I would still own it.

5. May 10, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    eternus

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    Cool, thats great info!

I also just saw another thread saying that some 01-04 Tacos either qualify for a frame replacement if its corroding or possible buyback by Toyota at 1.5 KBB so I'm wondering if I could buy this and flip it.

In either case, I'm glad I found TW before I bought. (c:

6. May 10, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it could play out in your favor.

7. May 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    toyota isnt buying back the 01-04s

theyre doing frame replacement or corrosion treatment...

8. May 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    eternus

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    Yah I was just noticing that in other threads. Since this truck wouldn't be replacing another vehicle I wouldn't suffer too much while they replaced the frame (if it needed it) and if it gets more warranty in the process that'd be nice. I'm really thinking this might be a great deal, its a $14k truck according to KBB and if I can get it for $11k then I have plenty of wiggle room to sell it later and pursue a different truck.

Now I'm trying to find posts from people who endured the frame replacement in case its a headache I need to bear.

9. May 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    tigerfan00

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    i think only a couple people here have gone thru that process...and i dont remember there being a bad thing said about it...i remember one guy saying it was completely painless

10. May 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma DC
    ome lift'd, bent-up rear, elite front, revenge fab'd sliders, camburg uca's, safari snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, safari bed basket, truxedo'd, bed rug'd... more to come
    i bought my 02 double cab 4x4 sr5 in 08 with 85k miles for $9000.

11. May 10, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    eternus

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    That sounds like a great deal dud and probably the exception and not the rule, especially around here where a 4x4 Tacoma goes very fast, especially if there are less than 100k miles on the truck. That being said, I'm offering him $10,000 and we'll see where that goes.

The next question I have is, as I've not seen the truck yet... does anyone have a quick list of things to be sure to check on a 02 Tacoma that might not be obvious at a glance? He did just have the 50k mile checkup done at a Toyota dealership (noted in the CarFax) so I expect it to be running pretty good. Hoping to take a gearhead friend with me to make sure I'm not too green in this purchase.

12. May 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGM AC 4x4 TRD OR
    Husky front mud flaps, OEM bed mat, 3D floor mats, Wet Okole seat covers, fog lights anytime mod, rear diff breather extension, aluminum Relentless tailgate reinforcement, NWexpo corner gussets.
    I have an '02 TRD 4x4 Extended Cab V6, very similar to the truck you are looking at (with the exception of the DC and 4x2, of course).

Have not had one issue with my truck (they replaced the front ball joints on a recall notice). Everything works like it's supposed to, always has. I did replace the rear leaf springs with Alcans, but that was just my desire to get some arch back in them. I've also replaced all the OEM Bilsteins, they were leaking some. Other than that, changed the oil, new plugs at 30K. No rust on mine, probably never will be in New Mexico...

Hard to beat that mileage on an '02, and there's plenty of Tacoma owners on here with PreRunners that are quite happy with them.

13. May 11, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma DC
    ome lift'd, bent-up rear, elite front, revenge fab'd sliders, camburg uca's, safari snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, safari bed basket, truxedo'd, bed rug'd... more to come

i would sat take it for a test drive....

make sure there are no wierd sounds, clunks, or ticks
    mash on the brakes a few times to make sure those are good
    check under the hood and see if any of the rubber components (hoses/belts) are dry-rotted or cracking
    check under the engine and see if you have any wet looking spots from oil that may be a sign of a gasket that needs replaced
    check the frame for rust
    take it to a local garage and have a x-point inspection done... they'll tell you if you need to have the brakes replaced soon...etc.

other than that these are really good trucks so i can't imagine there is something hidden that will make it a lemon

goodluck with your buy!

14. May 11, 2009 at 7:03 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back twin exhaust,elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella550's, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    My 2001 DC V6 has over 80,000 miles on it and not ONE-I repeat-not ONE issue. Amazing truck for sure. The only thing I don't like is the paint is IMO awfully thin. The truck is so good to me though that things like this are easily overlooked. One caveat though-I am the sole owner and I change oil every 3000 miles and executed every single maintainance requirement to the T. Not everyone spoils their truck like I have. Check that they maintained this truck well-it's important.

15. May 11, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    gatorboyy13

gatorboyy13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Roswell, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Black 01 ext. Cab
    Black UWS Toolbox, Black Grille Surround, Clear Corners, Black Brush Guard w/ 2 lights, Deck Plate Mod,Mud Flaps Removed, Blisten 5100's up front, Blisten Rear Shocks,Wheelers 1.5" AAL, LED Dome Lights, Sony iPod-InDeck Head Unit.
    I am sort of new to all of this stuff, maybe i just got a good deal, but i got and 01 xtra cab prerunner for 9500. runs Great! and everything about it is good!

16. May 11, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    gatorboyy13

gatorboyy13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Roswell, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Black 01 ext. Cab
    Black UWS Toolbox, Black Grille Surround, Clear Corners, Black Brush Guard w/ 2 lights, Deck Plate Mod,Mud Flaps Removed, Blisten 5100's up front, Blisten Rear Shocks,Wheelers 1.5" AAL, LED Dome Lights, Sony iPod-InDeck Head Unit.
    also had 115K but timming belt was replaced.

17. May 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    tigerfan00

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    ive got 104K miles on my 02...i put 75K of those on the truck...i abuse the truck...i dont maintain it meticulously...in fact...im actually fairly lax about the maint...ask will or chris...

i had to have the lower balljoints replaced under recall...and ive replaced the alternator...

outside of that i have had ZERO issues with the truck...and the alt was my own fault...the stock one would still be on the truck if i had been better at taking care of my truck

i paid $19000 for my truck 4 years ago this coming august...its almost completely fully loaded...very few options i DIDNT get

ive towed with it (without the tow package)...ive had it on 3 wheels, 2 wheels...to the door sills in mud...ive slammed it down on rocks...ive jumped it off dirt berms...

18. May 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    tigerfan00

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    i would like to add that i could have my truck detailed 1 good time and it would look ALMOST as good as the day i bought it...add a couple of small dents and dings...the paint is still nice...

i would feel absolutely comfortable selling my truck to another person without worry that they would come back with complaints...

19. May 11, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back twin exhaust,elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella550's, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    ^^^^^you will not get a better testimony than this man's about how great the '02 is. It is all over this forum how he puts his truck through the paces and it continues to yield back dividends!!!! I spoil the shit out of mine so...

20. May 11, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    eternus

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    So while that was a good deal, he wouldn't come any lower and I could only buy it if it was a great deal so its back to the drawing board. I'm currently looking at a simple 01 Tacoma Reg Cab 2.7l 4 cyl 4x4 which is going for $8950. It meets my "under $10k range.

I think getting a cheaper non-double cab is good for me as I won't have to worry about it being practical for the family anyway... in addition to being my utility vehicle I can make it my toy on the sly.

I am pleased to see so many ringing endorsements for Tacos though, its killing me trying to get through the purchase process to the owning process. (c;

To Top