1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good Morning America aired Toyota acceleration issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SpaceMonkey, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    cwrose

cwrose Don't spreadsheet this...

Member:
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB in MGM
    As I stated in another thread. I was at a redlight without the hvac on and mysteriously the truck accelerated to about 6k rpm and I lurched forward a couple feet before throwing it in neutral and shutting the engine off. I have had people tell me that I was pushing on the gas pedal and I can honestly say I was not. I know the difference between the two.

Anyway, my dealer could not replicate the problem and told me that it was driver error. I didn't really think too much of it because it only happened a couple of times and I controlled it each time. Eventually I sold the truck; not because of defects or issues.

2. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    My truck always had the lurch thing, got over it after awhile. I had some reporters asking me about it. Honestly you get used to it after awhile, just keep your damn foot on the brake and you're fine. My little 93 Civic does the same thing when its cold because the RPM's are higher.

I've definitely gotten over the issue. I love my truck and its never actually tried to kill me.

3. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah, i think that has more to do with the accessory stuff like AC and whatnot. I'm pretty sure most cars do this; at least from my experience. I don't even notice it.

4. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    cwrose

cwrose Don't spreadsheet this...

Member:
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB in MGM
    I think nearly every vehicle on the road "surges" a little when accessories, a/c, heat and whatnot is in use. The acceleration that these reports are talking about is not a little surge, it is basically wide open throttle. I can't recall ever being in a vehicle that didn't "surge" slightly as a condensor kicked on or whatever.

As for Gotlift37's comment calling people fucking idiots, I think that's a bit out of line. You can't just say you know what didn't happen unless you were actually there.

5. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:25 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    No accessories or anything on ....

Just sitting at a stop light or fast food drive thru - mine will go up & down 500rpms just sitting there doing nothing. I watch my scangauge.
    Every 30 seconds or so...Up....30 seconds...down.... 30 seconds... UP. I don't understand why it does that. Ramp down and stay there.

There's tons of arguements on here about how everyone thinks they can stop an accelerating vehicle. If you read any articles about that major accident in the LX350 - #1) The Lexus shifting pattern might have made it hard to find nuetral.
    #2) The Lexus has a push button ignition and must be held for 3 seconds before the vehicle will shut off

I'd honestly like to see all of you guys in a situation of an accelerating vehicle - the amount of time your brain has to 'react' to what is happening, the amount of time it takes for your brain to decide what to do, and the amount of time it takes your brain to send the signals to actually put the truck in neutral......all while you're trying to steer around obstacles going at 100mph - You'd be DEAD before your hand reached the shifter.

It's really not that simple.....

6. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:59 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    Well...I've only had my Taco for 7 months, but no issues with it at all to this point.

However, we've had our '04 Sienna for about 6 years. It has an electronic throttle....and not once has it ever done anything it wasn't supposed too. It's never surged, acclerated unintentionally, hesitated or stumbled at all. Nothing but smooth, crisp throttle response.

7. Nov 4, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting that. I wonder if they all do that? I'll try and keep an eye on mine to see if I notice it. I don't have a scan gauge though.

Actually, it it would be quite some time before the car reached 100MPH even at WOT so it wouldn't be that nuts. My last car (IS300) was a manual so moving the gears around manually is second nature. My fear would be cars like the Prius that don't have a physical connection between the shifter and anything.

8. Nov 4, 2009 at 5:41 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.

Throwout bearings last longer when you put the manual transmission in neutral and let out the clutch at long red lights.

9. Nov 4, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Truth....and when it's in neutral you couldn't give a damn what the engine is doing :D

Sigh....this automatic thing is going to take some getting used to. I kinda want my man pedal back.:eek:

10. Nov 4, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Without the scangauge and without my exhaust - it's really hard to hear or feel it. I would've never known without the scangauge or the exhaust.

11. Nov 4, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    The engine varying it's idle speed by 500rpm's on a digital gauge isn't a concern. Engine load factors, accessory drag, alternator load, a/c, etc. The Tacoma isn't the only vehicle I've experienced this on. Keep your foot firmly on the brake at stops. Unintended acceleration:confused: on a drive by wire system is possible but unlikely. The throttle body and engine mgmt computer inversly mirror and compare values constantly. When there is a disconnect between the throttle actuator and the engine management computer the mechanical fail safe intervenes. It's a good ole fashioned spring that closes the throttle body plate.

12. Nov 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    MarcD

MarcD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I love how they show a perfect example of the wrong sized all weather mat causing the accelerator to go all the way down and people still try to blame the electronics...

13. Nov 4, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Assuming the guy was traveling at 60 mph, under WOT conditions, it would only take about 8 seconds or so to get to 100. Given 3 to 4 seconds to realize somthing was wrong, another 4 seconds lost to panick, that gives about 1 second or so to figure out a different way to stop the car. At higher speeds, how many people are going to have the presance of mind, in a vehicle accelerating out of control, to press and hold a button for 3 or so seconds, and hope it works? Personally, these cars with push button ingitions need to have an "Emergency Stop" button. Machinery has them, and I feel a car is no different.

14. Nov 4, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Oh no the automatic transmissions are coming alive again! :goingcrazy:

15. Nov 4, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

Interesting: the post about the scan guage and 30 econd ramp ups...do you have anything tied to your ign fuse? I noticed the same thing when i used an add a circuit to run leds from off the ign fuse. moved the add a circuit to an unused fuse problem solved.

16. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Yes, it is that simple. The reason I disagree with you completely is that the man in the lexus had enough time to make a 911 call and talk to them for several seconds. He didn't accelerate directly into an obstacle, he had time!

17. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    I think they should switch back to Manual Throttle bodies. that would solve it all. I hate throttle by wire.

18. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

I'll argue this one. Why, because I've had my floor mat get stuck and throw my accelerator to the floor before. I've had the experience and I can recall every little split second of what happened.

Stepped on gas... shortly thereafer realized throttle was stuck. Foot on brake, won't stop. Spent less than a second to kick it to try and break free, DIDN'T work. I have my foot on the brake, car is still moving forward. Realized if I didn't stop I would not make the corner or I would hit some parked cars. Threw shifter in neutral, car revved to the limiter. Shut car off and troubleshoot.

Despite typing that all out, it might have lasted 3-4 seconds.

It is not a hard process. This event did not happen in my tacoma. You just need to think to yourself every once in awhile... WHAT IF? I remember when I was 11 my parents taught me how to stop a car from the passengers seat if, for example someone was to have a stroke or heart attack. Its those little things that count. Ask anyone in the military, ANYONE who operates any sort of machine. We are required to know what to do when shit goes wrong and we train it constantly.

When you went to get your drivers license... did they ever quiz you on how to stop a car that is out of control? I doubt it... And I wouldn't doubt some of these fatalities could have been prevented if they did know.

Its EXTREMELY SIMPLE in the end. No one ever trains themselves for it. Sure when it happened to me, my adrenaline was pumping like hell, but I certainly knew what to do.

all while you're trying to steer around obstacles going at 100mph

highly doubt you would ever get to this point unless you were doing 90 in the first place. Your brake would overpower the truck at highway speed, at least I would believe that until it overheats. Giving all the factors into account at a highway speed, you would freak out, step on the brake, you would have a solid 10 seconds before you lose complete control. This is all assuming you're on a straight road. If your mind can't think enough to turn the key off or slip into neutral within 10 seconds, you SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROAD.

and if that lexus' is as bad as you're claimig, NTSB should pull that shit off the road immediately.

19. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Agreed. What happened to the guy in the Lexus is very unfortunate, but it's also a huge misrepresentation to present this as something that happened in a split second.

It frankly ISN'T. You can listen to the 911 call. The _driver_ of an accelerating vehicle had enough time to find his cell phone, call 911, and have a conversation of at least 10 seconds with the operator in duration. That is plenty of time to find neutral, _period_.

Edit: Here's the 911 call, it's a bit unsettling: http://www.sandiego6.com/media/lib/38/b/2/d/b2d4de84-999f-4074-b369-d0deb7c1b295/car911.wma

20. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    I don't think it was the driver who call, I seem to remember that one of the passengers made the call. I have always felt the "Floor Mat excuse" was just a cheap cover up, I really like my "09" Tacoma, but something just doesn't seem right with the Transmission, and I think electronically this is connected to the fuel system, --- Time will tell, I hope it gets straighted out before anyone else is hurt, Doc

Products Discussed in

To Top