1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

good mud flaps

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by colinb17, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Mar 9, 2009 at 10:26 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i may have a solution to the mud flap crisis.

just installed these beauties over the weekend. they are sparco mud flaps, like the ones they use on rally cars. they are a thin durable plastic/rubber material similar to the ones on the first generation tacos. when you get them, they are almost the same length as the stock ones, but i cut them easily with scisors...they are made to be trimmed to fit your personal preferance.

they come in red, blue, and white, and come with sparco stickers. for looks and a little bit of extra durability, i cut some/shaped some aluminum, painted it black, and then bolted it to the bottom of the flap.

so far i have no complaints. i made them shorter so i wouldn't have and dragging or catching issues. they are also thiner than the stock ones, so they sit further away from the tires and shouldn't have issies with larger tires. i'm hitting the trails this weekend, so i'll let you know how they do there.

DSCF8747.jpg
    DSCF8748.jpg
    DSCF8749.jpg
    DSCF8750.jpg
    DSCF8752.jpg

2. Mar 9, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    HBtacoma

HBtacoma SoCal Tacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Huntington Beach
    || Deep Black Custom Paint By DUPONT FINISHES w/ Custom Airbrush Artwork || RCD 4.5 Inch Lift Kit || 20x10 Black XD Monster Wheels w/ Toyo MT 33x12.5x20 Tires || SATOSHI Grill || URD TCAI || Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust || Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/ Bluetooth and Ipod || JL Audio 500/1 and 12" Kicker Sub || FJ 60 Toyota Emblem Painted Red || Black Custom Leather Interior w/graphite perforated body w/Red Double Stiching and TRD Logo || Leather Arm Rest Mod || T-REX Angry Eyelids || 20% Tinted Windows || Black Altezza Taillights || BHLM Headlights || LED Dome Light || LED Map Lights || HID 35w 6000k || Yellow Tinted Fogs || Nokya 2500k_55w Fog Lights || Painted Engine Cover || Bed Extender || Epic Indust. Bed Bar w/Fog Lamps Tinted Yellow ||
    they look good. nice truck!

3. Mar 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base
    nice looking flaps! what did you use for fasteners?

4. Mar 10, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    for fasteners i used the three stock bolts, and where there were just those little plastic snap things, i used stainles steel nuts and bolts. here's a picture of it. it looks kinda crappy and sloppy in the picture at that angle, but you can't really see the fasteners unless your head is in the fenderwell.

as for paint, i doubt it would hold too well. but i also doubt that sparco is the only company that makes realy flaps like these, so it'd do a good search on raly mud flaps or racing mud flaps, etc.

and i forgot to say this in the original post, but i got all 4 for $40, which was perfect, becasue that's what i sold the stock ones for...so it ended up kinda being a free upgrade:bananadance:

DSCF8762.jpg

5. Mar 10, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    Eh im not really diggin them. But thats just me. I like the no flaps look.

6. Mar 10, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Not my cup of tea.

7. Mar 10, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Do they make them for the front too? Or are they universal for front and back? I'm sure other guys would like to know because whoever is running 33"s normally have to take off their front stock mud flaps. Just wondering if these would fix that issue since you said they sit back farther from the tires.:rolleyes:

8. Mar 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    they are universal. you cut them to whatever length or shape you want with scisors or an exacto knife. they are made out of a plastic material that is abotu as thick as 2 to 3 quarters stacked ontop of each other...so if you have at least 1/4 in of clearance between your larger tires and fender, i don't see why they wouldn't fit. they do hang straight down though, so if your larger tires protrude beyond the vitticle plane of the rear fender flare, they will not work...but then again, if your tires do that, no flaps will unless they are rigid and angled back about 45 degrees.

9. Jan 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    So on your first post (9 months ago) you said you'd hit the trails and see how they handled.

I've been on a couple rally forums that say these are kind of crappy for winter and abuse, being so thin and all. I prefer flexible, thin flaps personally...

So after all this time, how are they holding up? Any pics?

The rally world seems like they swear on Rally Armor flaps, but the classic ones are about $100 for a set of 4. They do make thinner ones, and they're $16 for a set of 4. They don't say what size their universal ones are, though.

Anyways, they look pretty good on your blue 2nd gen (my fave 2nd gen color)...but I'm not sure the bright red would look good on my maroon truck:(.

10. Jan 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    so far they've held up great. i've had them on for over a year now and put them through some abuse. they do seem to get "brittle" in the cold temps...but i had to back up through a snow bank that i had gotten plowed into, and i'm sure they were wedged between my tire and the snow and they took it without a problem.
    but at $20 for a set of 2, even if they did break, i don't really have a problem buying more.

so after more than a year and some good ol' wear and tear, i'm still happy with them.

11. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    The flaps look good. Do you have your rear drum painted red, i am seeing some red there in one of those pics, do ya have your calipers painted?

12. Jan 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    yeah, i painted the drums and calipers red. used the duplicolor kit, it's works great

13. Jan 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

i can't remember where, but if you google them, you'll get a lot of hits. as for a price range when you're searching, i paid $40 shipped for a set of 4.

14. Jan 8, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    Those looks great man, I like how they match your paint.

To Top