1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good price for Truck Cap?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Caduceus, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Oct 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    I have an offer made to me of $800 for a Leer 100XQ (non-sliding windows, 2 window locks, sliding front window, rear light).

Problem is, it's 300 miles away.

Is that price worth driving that far for, or should I pass it up?

2. Oct 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    2 window locks?

sounds like a good price if you can verify the condition before you get there.

3. Oct 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    Caduceus

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Yeah, that's the problem is I only have a few pictures. I asked the guy about it (car salesman) and of course it's "Excellent!" With the exclamation point.

it looks good in the pics, to be fair. Forgot to mention, it has a dome light, 3 AC outlets and 2 cargo bars up top. Which jacks the price up on a new one, not that I really want any of those.

Edit: I probably shouldn't be talking to you until the Dodgers get on the board :)

4. Oct 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    $800 is less then half price in my area. If it is the same color and your sure it is the right fit, it seems like a good deal. If you do decide make sure you have the appropriate hardware to mount it with you.

5. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    Caduceus

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    meaning what? I assumed the brackets would be with the cap. I was planning on bringing my toolbox, but is there anything specifically I'll be needing? I'd hate to drive that far and forget something...

6. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    A good socket set should be all you need to tighten down the clamps, assuming they are with the top. The seller should include them with it. I'd ask to make sure.

Also, if you have an +05 tacoma, the front of the bed is lower than the sides. This creates a gap between the front of the bed and the topper (at least with an ARE). Not a huge deal for the trip home, but eventually you'll need to seal it up with weatherstripping or buy the seal from a topper dealer.

You'll also need a wiring harness to tap into the brake lights for the topper's third brake light. Probably not a big deal for the trip home, but you might want to check your local laws.

I recently drove about 7-8 hours to get a topper (no pics yet) cause it was a better deal than buying the same top locally. I asked the guy for pictures and all kinds of questions because I didn't want to get there and have anything wrong with it. I guess it depends on how much you want it and how bad they want to sell it to you.

7. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Off topic- GO PHILLIES! From a Giants fan.:D

8. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    not worth the drive. i bought a mint leer xq for $500.it came with side vent windows, rear slider,rear fold down glass, carpet,int light,third brake light, and roof rack. i had to drive 2 hours to get it but worth it. keep searching craigslist.deals pop up but you have to act quick.they sell fast.

i looked at another cap that was an hour away.they guy "claimed" he didnt want it on his truck (the cap was off when i got there). when i asked about the damage on his door,he said he slid of the road.the cap was tweaked from the accident and didnt realize it until we tried to bolt it on my truck. so be careful and inspect it really good.

9. Oct 16, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    wolf13

wolf13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 4X4 Access cab TRD OR
    TRD Offroad w/Tow package. LEER 100XQ topper, painted grill surround, 08 cup holders, scangauge II
    new is going to be $1600+ to over 2k depending on options (this one will be low end), price one out through a dealer. Depending on where you are, you might be a long time waiting for one to pop up used, around here theres not a lot of taco's and very very few have caps so the odds are not good to find one for me, especially since i have one of the new colors. So, if your in california, it might be worth waiting. if your in the midwest, it might be a LONG time before another used one pops up.

That said, I'd ask for lots of high rez pictures. no high rez pictures, forget it. look for obvious damage, scarring, chipping, seals pulling away, cracked glass etc. you get the idea, before you ever go down to look in person. check how old it is as well as why he is selling it. remember you will need to tie in the brake light and dome light, so that will add a little cost and you won't be able to test it before buying probably.

Products Discussed in

To Top