1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good radiator brand?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AZTacoSupreme, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Aug 4, 2022 at 11:53 AM
    dagamed

dagamed New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dagame
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma PreRunner
    None
    Hi Guys newb here and 1st time posting.
    I need to replace the radiator on my 2004 Tacoma PreRunner V6, Auto - I've been looking in RockAuto for the correct one and not knowing much on which one the truck has in it now its a crapshoot.I hate to get the wrong one and have the hastle of returning it. The truck VIN#5TEGN92N04Z373929 if this helps anyone to let me know which radiator to get from RockAuto. While I'm at it I may as well replace water pump, hoses and Thermostat while I've got the front apart. Truck has 175K mls and the temp gauge is starting to go above 1/2, will have to do some serious cleaning before installing the new rad/WP/T-stat since it looks like coffee is running in that rad now. (dark brown liquid)

Help here is much appreciated.

2. Aug 4, 2022 at 12:35 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Hmm. My truck has always ran just above 1/2 gauge,,all it's life, but it's a 4 cyl. When the head gasket popped, it did flex the temp needle higher, just as I killed the ignition and rolled to the shop doors in the driveway. Temp sensor was replaced with the gasket set.

Dark brown liquid flowing thru the radiator??. Does your engine oil look milky on the dipstick?,,or just used black crude??.

Your vin number that you put up for everyone to see will indicate the radiator you need, for future reference. Make sure to double check numbers and such. Keep your vin vumbers close to your chest, you don't have to show those here, or anywhere besides the parts counter.

If it's not showing signs of loss of coolant, you might just try a flush and fill at your 175k, if that is a option.

3. Aug 4, 2022 at 2:18 PM
    dagamed

dagamed New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dagame
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma PreRunner
    None
    @Mod - Thanks for the quick reply - I've had the truck now for over 7yrs and even in the middle of the AZ heat season the temp needle has been below the 1/2 way mark. The engine oil is used black crude, I guess I should of maybe described the rad liquid more of a latte coffee color :)
    I've run google searches with the vin to see if i can find the oem to try get the dimension since RockAuto has multiple choices with different sizes - no luck:(

I don't have a shop to fabricate any brackets or modify if I get the wrong radiator and I'll probably have to eat up the return shipping and probably a restocking fee form RockAuto if the one I order is wrong.
    I'm looking to give RockAuto a try compared to the local Autozone, O'Reilly or for that matter NAPA, but looks like unless you specifically know what to get you are hosed. Hence why I'm here.

Thanks for the 411 on the VIN# figure with that someone smarter than me can figure out and let me know which one would be a replacement match.

4. Aug 4, 2022 at 2:22 PM
    Nessal

Nessal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2003 V6 4X4 TRD DCAB
    I bought my Denso rad from Amazon instead of Rockauto because the shipping from rockauto was insane.

5. Aug 4, 2022 at 2:57 PM
    dagamed

dagamed New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dagame
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma PreRunner
    None
    @Nessal - Thanks for the links

The issue is not where to buy but more which radiator to buy. Here's a small sample of RockAuto choices

which one is the correct one (see the different cores sizes) - I can go and measure the radiator are the dimensions top/bottom or left/right

6. Aug 4, 2022 at 3:02 PM
    Nessal

Nessal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2003 V6 4X4 TRD DCAB

I think if you measure your current rad then you can match it up better. I'm thinking the difference between those might be the manufacturers making them to difference sizes. I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the difference was between a manual and automatic because the automatic radiator has a built in transmission cooler...though I don't know if that is relagated to only a certain trim.

7. Aug 4, 2022 at 3:51 PM
    treyus30

treyus30 cntl-y

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Mesa / AJ, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '99 5VZ-TT 14PSI+
    Two spooly snails, Haltech 2500, 35s, 125kmi
    I got their TYC a few years ago and haven't had any problems with it.

8. Aug 4, 2022 at 8:00 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    I'm getting this as the most likely toyota raditator part number candidate. 16410-0C042

s0,, Denso 2213138 or the FVP RAD1755,,at first glance

Bust out the tape measure and check things before ordering, like spacing between cooler fittings on the bottom of the rad, core size, ect.

Products Discussed in

To Top