1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Juggernaut, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Dec 22, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Hey good to know.. I was not aware the back of the 09's was different..

Anyway, I am beginning to get a feel for what you're looking for in an audio system.. you want a basic setup with minimum customization. Yes, you can replace the 6x9 in the doors and keep the tweeters. However, I must point out that a 6x9 speaker is junk. There is a reason all home audio speakers are round. The 6x9 is supposed to give you a bigger sound from a smaller footprint.. but falls short.

Step 1. Remove door panels. This is pretty easy to do but be careful they are held on by tabs that break easy.

Step 2. You can pop in some 6.5" rounds in the 6x9 space with no modification at all, just need to buy some adapter brackets (Crutchfield sells these). If your speakers don't come with crossovers integrated then pick up some capacitors at Radio Shack to serve as a passive crossover filter so you can filter out the highs.

Step 3. Replace the tweeters if you want since the door panels are already off? However tweeters come in all shapes and sizes and you'll never find ones to match up exactly with the door enclosure.. so you'd have to make a custom mounting adapter.. I cut mine out of plywood. Also, get some good ones.. tweeters are the cheapest of the speakers (sub, mid, etc..) cost wise so you can splurge a little here.

Again you'll want crossovers to filter out everything but the highs. Get these even if you decide to keep the factory ones (not sure if they have any built in??)

Guess you'll want to keep the factory cabling since it's a hassle to run new wire.

Should be a 2 hour job MAX. In the end you'll have a much better sounding system. And hey, maybe it'll inspire you to do more incremental upgrades to it down the road?

Best wishes.

2. Dec 23, 2009 at 12:20 AM
    HK702

HK702 [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gal

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport v6 SR5
    6 in stage 1 pro comp lift, pro comp trac bars, black 17x9.5 moto metal rims 285/70/17 BFG A/T alpine deck and amps JL audio subs and mid highs n-fab nerf bars limo tint
    I have access cab also and I ran jl in doors and jl audio stelth box(in middle console and amps under seats) for sub and look clean and you have sub and can still use back ! It's the best bet if you have access lol wish I had doulble cab now but o well live and learn ! Still love my taco though ....

3. Dec 23, 2009 at 5:35 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I just installed a set of Boston Acoustics PRO60's in my Tacoma. I reused a JL Audio e4300 amp and a Pioneer HU. I can recommend the BA Pro 60's for an upgrade. What a great sounding set of speakers in the Tacoma. I could never get the supposed set of speakers in the headliner to work and I have found with the BA Pro 60's I really do not want another set of speakers in the rear.

Take your time with the install. Order baffles from Mr. Marv and use sound deadening materials in the doors.

I found the Tacoma very easy to work on for a DIY install.

4. Dec 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB

Products Discussed in

To Top