1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good Vinyl Idea.. Terrible outcome!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slimcubby, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Nov 17, 2008 at 9:22 PM
    slimcubby

slimcubby [OP] www.slimshidxenonsource.c om Vendor

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I decided to do the black vinyl on my lower bumper since I got my hands on some vinyl for free. I figured it would look good since I have seen other trucks with it and loved it. However! I could not for the life of me make the stuff lay smooth and not bubble or wrinkle. I have a couple more sheets to try it again but I am not sure if I want to go through the hour long hastle for an outcome that makes me want to rip my bumper off :mad:. If anybody has suggestions please let me know.

Looks good from far....
    [​IMG]

But FAR from good!
    [​IMG]

2. Nov 17, 2008 at 9:25 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab 6spd 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
    this happened to me too. and i ended up ripping it off and never looking back lol

3. Nov 17, 2008 at 9:28 PM
    cheehab

cheehab I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    Did you spray anything on the bumper first? Mix up a teaspoon of dish soap with water and put it in a spray bottle and spray away. The wetter the better. As long as there's moisture under the sticker, it should slide rather easily. Use a plastic putty knife or a piece of cardboard to smooth the bubbles out from under the vinyl. Be patient and work from one side to the other, it should come out perfect when it dries. Windex will work too, just be generous with it. Good Luck!!!

4. Nov 17, 2008 at 9:29 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    HEAT!! when we do the derby cars you really need some heat like a heat gun or steal your GF's or wife's expensive hair drier! She won't miss it.

5. Nov 17, 2008 at 9:31 PM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    You have to have about 5-6" extra around each edge..Vinyl is easily workable when warm..Warm it up with a Hair Dryer, You can literally stretch the vinyl around curves/corners and it'll look good...

6. Nov 17, 2008 at 9:48 PM
    slimcubby

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Ok sounds good I will try another run at it during a hot day and use a hair dryer. I am pretty frustrated but would like to get it on there right and make it look good.

7. Nov 17, 2008 at 9:51 PM
    slimcubby

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I just used a spray bottle with water only. I sprayed the hell out of the bumper and the vinyl (sticky side). I guess I should try it with some soap to make it a little more slippery.

8. Nov 17, 2008 at 9:55 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab 6spd 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
    Also, you might want to get some tips from sockmonkey.
    Hope it works out for you the next time you try!

9. Nov 17, 2008 at 10:00 PM
    slimcubby

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Good idea i'll send him a PM hope he can help.

10. Nov 17, 2008 at 10:01 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Marysville, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    I plan on doing this when it gets warmer out again. Since I am in Alaska I have to wait til around next June or so. Hopefully it works out for you. I love the look of it.

11. Nov 18, 2008 at 5:01 AM
    Burns

Burns Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Truck is Sold
    I did that when I put my graphic's on my dirt bike and I broke her hair dryer. :eek:

12. Nov 18, 2008 at 7:46 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey just a regular Joe

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. Retro stripes. blacked out front bumper. 265/70/16 Goodyear Wrangler Adventures. NST Lite Pulleys
    NEVER USE WINDEX!!!!!!

it is a chemical that gives off a gas and will prob cause more bubbles, over time, than prevent.

the secret is time and temperature.
    take your time and do it in a warm temp.

you must have something in the water to act as a lubricant (1 drop of dish soap in a small squirt bottle, maybe 2 in a large)

start in the middle or largest surface that you can get to stick and work out from there.

i put mine on in a 50deg garage over a year ago. (not ideal, but had hair dryer to help)

and the flat is def harder to work with than the gloss (does not stretch as well....but looks better)

this is why i warn everyone that you must do all the work to get this right (and provide 2 sheets).....it's a bitch and takes time.
    adding stripes and decals are a breeze compared

13. Nov 18, 2008 at 8:04 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud There's a mod for that!

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Subaru WRX
    Bilsteins 5100's (Front & Rear), GrillCraft, Line-X'ed Skid Plate & Bumper Valence, Blacked out hood scoop, Avid Light Bar and much more.
    Had the same problem with the vinyl stickers on my headlights. Then did the same thing you guys are telling slimchubby. Use a spray bottle with soap and water...worked like a charm the second time. Good luck. Just be careful when your trimming. All that work needs to pay off in the end. LOL. Good luck.

14. Nov 18, 2008 at 9:25 PM
    slimcubby

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I am going to attempt to redo it next Monday. I will just leave the butchered mess on there for now.. at least it looks nice from far far distances! haha. Thanks for the helo sock! I will def use the soap in the water to help move the vinyl around etc.

To Top