1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

good winches????

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by brutalguyracing, May 23, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    This thread should be stickied.

2. Jun 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing [OP] BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    yea please my thread is not a sticky regardless of how much i have learned....lol
    but any thank you guys so much for all your help..
    i have recieved the xrc8 winch and have just gotten a 5/8 grade 8 bolt for the reciever hitch "winch" plate....
    tonight i will silicone the selinod water tight" even thought it will be kept inside the truck most of the time.......
    as i live on the sea out here......
    all that is left is the pwoer to the winch situation....
    whick since i have not had much feedback i will just go with the way i wanted .... 4 gauge jumper type battery to quick connection cable to power the winch in te rear......
    i have decided to go with cbi front hidden hitch option in the front......
    thanks again all

3. Jun 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    the wires are 4 gauge with aligator "booster type" connections on one end and a warn type quick connect on the other end... 24 feet long... and the xrc8 at full amperage is 410amps

4. Jun 4, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    Bill Burke

Bill Burke Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hip-eye
    On-The-Road -- gotta follow my Face Book page to f
    Vehicle:
    dented fender, flat tires and green paint
    lots of chrome
    I agree with Timmer... 1/0 wire or even 0/0 welding cable would be better to pull that amperage the distance you want. You can hardwire the plug you mentioned and connect the wire directly to the battery terminals. A good industrial hardware store or somebody like Fastenal/Grainger may have that size "plug" for the battery cables. Do not use the small side terminals. They are not designed to handle that amperage. Use the big top posts of the battery and quality solder type brass/copper connectors. Timmer is the electrical guru so he knows that side of the story...BB

5. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Also, a common thing I see guys doing is using some arc welder cable hookups as quick connectors for the winch. They hardwire to the battery and just put the female end of the connectors in the bumper, then have a 2' lead with the male end and hook them up when they need it. I'm sure they have some sort of a battery isolator switch somewhere to keep the plugs from getting constant power. It seems like a good idea as welders use high amperage and the connectors are probably pretty cheap.

6. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    I have used the "Warn" 8000 lb winch for years on 6 trucks/SUVs...have some straps & a snatch block and theres not much that will stop you. I always have a "High Lift jack" & base unit. And always have under the seat a shovel & ax.....

7. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    how did you have your winch mounted on a bumper mount or???
    what were using for power cables???......

TIMMER
    THANK YOU

8. Jun 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    what size and type of inline fuse do i run with this .......there is nothing in the owners manual......
    i just mounted up the winch the the hitch cradle and installed the fairlead...
    its heavy "lol"
    later i will silicone the selinoid
    i decided to go with a length of 4 gauge wire 4 feet long --one end with eyelid and other end with quick connect....
    then i peice 20' feet long with quick connects on bolth ends
    then a 3 foot peice with eyelids mounted to the winch with other end a quick connect.....
    should all be done by next weekend.....

9. Jun 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Okay, I've got to chime in on this and it's been bugging me all day.

I've read a few post from some "4WD Experts" about Warn(ing) vs Superwinch... It bugs me that a well respected member of the OHV community would badmouth a company well established in mechanical recovery (Warn 8724 arguably the best winch ever made) over another company which is quite apparent that the member has a stake in. I could purchase a Superwinch Husky 10 (with synthetic line) for $1995.00 from Winchline.com or opt for the exact same Husky 10 signature series (with synthetic line) for $2274... A near $280 difference.

I must attest that there is some very good information in the thread however I will add there is a bit of brand touting and blatant regurgitation of one mans perspective.

I once considered attending a class but after reading through some of the thread I think I would rather not. I'll learn from those I have the pleasure of wheeling with in the great Northwest thank you.

10. Jun 6, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    Bill Burke

Bill Burke Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hip-eye
    Vehicle:
    lots of chrome
    Nah.. not really pushing one over the other but it always seems that most folks quickly think of the Great PNW winch first without thinking of other US made brands that are quality built. I have had great respect for the W folks (even worked with them last OCT for a gig at Mt. Hood) most common problem with most conventional winches is the "starter" type solenoids and the folks at SW have un-deniably the best. One could always purchase an Allbrite solenoid to remove that problem for any winch made out there. My experience is with the number of winches I work with weekly - for example - this week of work in the hills of muddy West Virginia the 6 vehicles full of Military trainees were all Warn equipped - we winched an average of 3 times per vehicle per day (remember it is training) and we had two solenoid problems (easily fixed as a field repair). However you/people learn is what works best for that individual - I just hope it is good learning not reinforced bad habits. BB

11. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    where can you pick up one of these allbrite solenoids that you speak of???

12. Jun 12, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    it seems that I haven't heard anything bad about superwinch though. Does this seem to be the majority. I bought my tacoma because every other truck on the market there were people saying good things about their truck and people saying bad things. The tacoma was the only one there were no real complaints about. beside the ocasional person who somehow got the bad one of the bunch. Does that seem to describe superwinch?

13. Jun 12, 2010 at 11:35 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    yup ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

14. Jun 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    Bill Burke

Bill Burke Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hip-eye
    Vehicle:
    lots of chrome
    Sorry, been in the field and away from the computer. I think Expedition Exchange sells the solenoids. But you could just purchase a solenoid pack from Superwinch and it will wire right up to most winches - pretty straight forward. Most winches have an internal brake inside the drum that sometimes drags while winching out. A big concern that winching out against the internal brake mechanisim is that the motor will work harder to overcome the brake drag. Also that type brake will only hold about 50% of the load (since it has to allow power out) average holding. The EP units of Superwinch offer a 100% load holding external brake. The spur-type drive unit like the W8274 uses the ratchet type brake but the motor can still wind out under a high load condition. Some Ramsey units offer an external brake also. Usually that type winch is a bit more expensive. For decent prices try looking into Northern Tool or Summit Racing. I think other places may offer a good price. Remember cheap is not always just less expensive - and less expensive is not always cheap. A quality winch in good condition with good rigging and regular use will always be reliable -- moisture in the un-used motor and solenoid contacts are usually the killer for winches. BB

15. Jul 2, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's

superwinch makes a damn good winch. ..right up there with warn. i'm particularly fond of the S9000

16. Jan 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
    Try a Ground Anchor![​IMG]:D

17. Jan 22, 2011 at 12:36 AM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    whata you got there??? $$$$

18. Jan 22, 2011 at 3:20 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    I put on a 10k Lb Superwinch on my rig, for two reasons. THe first and most obvious is that I saved some serious cash over the other brand, the second and one I consider the most improtant is that a lot of people I know and respect have been rocking superwinch for years without any issues. To quote another member on here, " I dont wheel my truck on the ragged edge to see if I can get stuck, I have a winch to get me out of any situation where it may be necessary."

19. Jan 22, 2011 at 4:52 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I got the the Warn 9500ti. only paid 1100 for it. you get what you pay for with winches. Warn is reliability but there is some good cheaper brands out there but they wont stand up to a Warn. Ramsey is one and there are others but no one disputes that Warn leads the way with winches.

Take your time, save your money and go warn. then learn about winching! HERE or learn about it first. it may help you decide on your winch.

20. Jan 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
    A Stinger Ground Anchor is $225+shipping

Products Discussed in