1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Goodbye Axle Wrap Mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by iDigTulsa, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Mar 4, 2015 at 8:45 PM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    Hell yes! Long live Dukes of Hazzard!!!

2. Mar 4, 2015 at 8:47 PM
    rzgkane

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    GD U-bolts fixed the thing! I cannot believe I've had these things in the garage for a year and never put them on! Truck drives soooooo much better. My axle wrap was as bad as you could imagine.

3. Mar 4, 2015 at 9:23 PM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    Ok, so i did this mod a few days ago, and have not noticed any more axle wrap. Though mine wasn't too bad from the sounds of it. My question to those in the know is this. In the second pic labeled passenger side, where the 4th (fattest) leaf starts to separate from the rest of the pack is where i clamped mine. Basically right before the taper, or bevel, or whatever you want to call it. Definitely makes the back end "feel" stiffer when going over bumps. Is this going to hurt anything? Add stress where its not designed to be stressed? I placed it there cause that was the easiest place for me to get to with minimul effort.

4. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:54 AM
    rzgkane

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Man, those shocks look ancient. Might be time to part with $30.

5. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    I should have mentioned those pics arent MY truck

6. Mar 5, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    Logger

Logger out for a rip are ya bud?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD OR Crew Cab
    It's not going to hurt anything, but the ride is most definetly harsher due to the overload spring (fatter) one being compressed. I had to move mine around and retighten as they do loosen up over time. This is still a temporary fix in my opinion, the springs continue to weaken over time making the ubolt ineffective.

7. Mar 16, 2015 at 11:27 AM
    rzgkane

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    I spoke too soon. The U-bolts diminished the clunk, but the springs now creak a lot, more than I can stand.

8. Mar 16, 2015 at 5:36 PM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    It may need some of those teflon pads. Or some bushing grease if they're still intact.

9. May 6, 2015 at 8:31 PM
    Titus139

Titus139 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCLB
    So I did the awesome DIY axle wrap fix (BTW new Tacoma owner of 2 months 2011 DCLB Sport). I placed the clamps 5 inch forward of the axle. It took care of 90% of the axle wrap I still get a little bump stopping. Any thoughts as how to clean up the rest? Am I in the market for new leaf springs? I've got 92K on the truck.

10. May 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM
    VintageFast

VintageFast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 3.4
    I replaced mine with leafs from General Spring and the clunk is still there.

11. May 25, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    Slane

Slane New Member

Member:
    Oceanside CA
    Vehicle:
    T100
    So I just did this mod, and it is amazing! Feels like a while new truck! Thanks OP!!!

12. Jun 3, 2015 at 8:30 AM
    Carbie

Carbie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab PreRunner
    Hey everyone...newbie to TW and new owner of my first Tacoma. I bought a used 2012 taco. Drove it for a month a was certain they tranny was messed up. I found this fourm and not only did I learn about the consistent problem, I learned of a mod.

Stopped by a local auto parts store last night and purchased some U bolts. I mounted them as others had said...in front of the axel butted up to the spring clamp. Took me about 30 minutes (I took the time to hack off the end of the bolts) and I slowly tighten the nuts until I heard the springs "creak". I took it for a ride around the block last night and no wrap! Drove it to work this morning (25 miles) and nothing! What a great, simple fix/mod. I'll check the nuts tonight and if they're tight (I doubt they loosen up) I'll prolly zap it with a rattle can, just to make it blend in. I'll re check the nuts at each oil change.

Now, I clearly realize this is a band-aid, but it works for me. No more second guessing tje purchase because of a "clunk".

Thanks to all the posts...this mod put a smile back on the drive!

13. Jun 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM
    Canyon Jeff

Canyon Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southeast Utah
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V6 3.4, TRD 4x4 5-speed 100k miles
    Hello all

I have symptoms that are similar to axle wrap, but the u-bolt mod didn't do anything for me. I tried placing them in all different places in front and behind the axle, but no noticeable difference. I am wondering what else can cause axle wrap-like symptoms?

I raised the rear end off the ground and had someone open the throttle and saw for myself that the differential is definitely moving up when torque is applied, and then it moves back down when the throttle is released. I don't get any "thunk" when applying or releasing the brake. only get a "thunk" when hitting and releasing the accelerator pedal. Its getting worse every day.

My rear driver side shock is blown. Could that cause the diff to move/thunk? or do you think that weak springs and axle wrap killed the shock? I don't want to replace the shock if its just gonna blow again because of some suspension systemic problem.

Also, it seems like the rev limiter is kicking in around 3000rpm in first and second gear. But I am not sure its actually the rev limiter, cuz its been getting worse at the same rate that the thunk has been getting worse. You think there is any connection there?

Thanks if y'all have any thoughts.

14. Aug 8, 2015 at 3:43 AM
    vlodpg

vlodpg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6sp Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger/URD Stage II Clutch
    My 15 OR 6sp (700 miles)has the clunking symptoms described in this thread.
    Mechanic at the dealer spread the leafs to check for the friction bushings (in place,aligned correct). He greased the springs & ordered a replacement left rear spring.

I hope it will take care of the 1st to 2nd clunking!

15. Aug 24, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    KingTaco81

KingTaco81 The guy, behind the guy, behind the guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jr
    Bell & El Monte, CA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR
    Bunch of stuff
    Any updates? I'm experiencing same on my 15 trd dbl cab off road.

16. Aug 24, 2015 at 6:30 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    That sounds like wheel hop to me, something different than I'm understanding axle wrap to be.

Wheel hop is something folks who launch hard (drag racers, autox racers, etc.) often suffer from, both on leaf and coil springs.

17. Aug 24, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    vlodpg

vlodpg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6sp Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger/URD Stage II Clutch
    They changed out my left rear leaf & the noise is gone!

18. Aug 25, 2015 at 3:54 AM
    Fallguy6666

Fallguy6666 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I took the big spring off the bottom of the leaf pack and flipped it over on my 97'.....took care of everything....and gave me a couple inches of lift

Crom likes this.
  19. Aug 25, 2015 at 9:29 AM
    Frostbyte

Frostbyte Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD OR Manual
    SOLD - 03 Black SR5 4x4 TRD OR RIP - 07 Radiant Red SR5 4x4 TRD Sport Fabtech 6" lift, 33x12.50.18 Toyo M/T on All black XD Hoss wheels
    Let me explain my issue, maybe you guys can assist me in identifying if this is axle wrap since I was leaning more towards a transmission problem....

I get a hard thump when I do 1 of 2 things:

1. When I am coming to a stop, traveling about 2-3 mph thumps pretty hard like my transmission had issues shifting back to 1st gear, or when I ease to a complete stop, it will thump when the truck stops fully.

2. If it doesn't thump as described in #1, it will thump immediately when I let off the brake and the truck starts to roll forward without applying throttle.

I've been thinking this is a transmission problem mainly because the thump acts like i said before, like its shifting down hard, or having issues going from 2nd back to 1st gear, and it shakes the tranny gear shift lever inside the cab of the truck, which I have also noticed moves and wiggles around a lot when going over bumps and such.

What are your thoughts?

20. Aug 25, 2015 at 3:33 PM
    DukesTaco

DukesTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Double cab Pre Runner
    That's the Tacoma thump. Caused by axle wrap.

fletch aka and Fallguy6666 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top