1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Goodbye Axle Wrap Mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by iDigTulsa, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Aug 23, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    kendubya

kendubya Active Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 TRD
    billy 5100's, aal's, , leer shell, thule pro ladder rack, rubber antenna mod, silver stars, weathertech mats, ram mount custom droid x dash mount
    What's your opinion of the traction bar since you installed it? Is the current budbuilt traction bar the same design you installed? How was your install experience?

EDIT I just read your install experience!

Thanks,

kenw

2. Aug 31, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    what was the torque specs on this, if any?

and do we need to put washers under the locknut?

3. Sep 1, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's

keep in mind, this isn't a fix for worn out springs ...if that's the case. it just helps prevent axle rotation.

i'm runnning an alcan pack that had noticable wrap on almost every hard stop. i too, played around with the locations of the clamps and decided they worked best as close to the axle as you can get them. my thinking is that in that location they interfere least with the action of the springs yet still prevents the axle from rotating. keep in mind, the springs need to be able to separate and slide against each other to some degree for them to work correctly. if you have the clamp out in the middle somewhere, it's probably going to give you a rougher ride. ...just my .02

4. Sep 3, 2010 at 5:14 AM
    crimsonred2004

crimsonred2004 X-wing Design Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob'O'
    MI
    Vehicle:
    02 Limited TRD Xtracab V6 4X4
    I tried painting the new u-bolts with the rubberized undercoating. The can said it takes 10 minutes to dry but even after 3 hours the stuff was still wet and wipped right off the parts. I cleaned the parts really good with soap and water allowing them to dry in the sun. I don't understand why the undercoating would not take but i am just going to install the u-bolts without painting them and see how they hold up. I am hoping there is another group buy for leaf springs from wheelers sometime soon....missed out on the 1st one by a couple of weeks....

5. Sep 27, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    MSUtacoboy

MSUtacoboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver DC 4x4 Trd off-road
    confused. woundering if this would fix my two problems
    ok, from what i read if you want to stop axle wrap, go with just the u bolt fix.

what if we do u bolt fix in the front and add the helper to the back as they are supposed to be installed to give added weight in the back. and the u bolt in the front to fix the wrap? i'm more interested in being able to support weight in the back. (or keep my backend from being too low when loaded)

thoughts?

kdxrider199 likes this.
  6. Sep 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    iDigTulsa

iDigTulsa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    03 DoubleCab TRD SR5 4x4
    Free Alarm Mod, Grey Wire Mod, Reverse Leaf Spring Helper Mod, Kenwood Deck, Memphis 10'', Yakima Roof Rack, Debadged Sides,Silver Toyota Skid Plate, Injen CIA, 3.5'' Amsoil Dry Filter, 17 x 7.5 Tundra Split Spoke Alloy's
    I like where your head is at on this one. There is no reason why this option wouldn't work to solve your two problems, but remember as you read through this thread that these "options" are little more than band-aids on our stock suspension components to solve existing issues. The ultimate goal is to improve the ride quality of our vehicles up until the point that we purchase a new set of leaf packs, or in some cases an AAL (add-a-leaf).

I say plan to go for it, do some research and report back. Keep your eyes peeled for some good prices on both sets of your components, because the more you spend on this "mod" the closer you will get into the territory of the price for a more permanent fix, such as an AAL set-up. For example, Wheeler's sells the 05+ Tacoma 1.5 inch Add-A-Leaf setup for only $77.50.

Do some research on both options (Helpers in back + U-Bolts in front & the AAL) to determine what looks the most viable for you. Since you are more interested in load support, you might better benefit from the AAL if it falls into your price range.

For a good reference point, check out a very recommended vendor here on TW named Wheelers Off-Road if you have actual unanswered questions about your AAL options, or track down someone that has already installed them. I've attached a link to the actual page with the 05+ Tacoma Add-A-Leaf, but you can also access their site and information through the Vendor section of the forum. Good luck, we look forward to your end results!

7. Sep 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    MSUtacoboy

Member:
    MS
    Vehicle:
    just installed the Dynachrome leaf helper the correct way. drove around the block, it believe i could tell a difference. of course i won't really know until i load down the bed.
    i've jumped up and down on the back and it doesn't seem to give as much.

8. Sep 30, 2010 at 12:31 AM
    99tacosupreme

99tacosupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    1999 Black V6 PreRunner TRD
    Pioneer Headunit, Infinity Kappa 6.5" speakers, Alpine Type R sub with Alpine M500 amp, 15% Tint up front 5% in the back, Deckplate mod, Debadged, Bilstien 5100s, Wheelers 1.5"AAL, DDM 55w 6k Lights
    So whats your conclusion? How is the ride, compared to before the helpers? Anymore more signs of axel wrap?

9. Sep 30, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    MSUtacoboy

Member:
    MS
    Vehicle:
    still a little axel wrap, but i put the on correct way(behind the axel). ride appears to be stiffer no as much bounce when i hit bumps.

i really won't know until i load the bed up about the sagging issue

10. Sep 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    99tacosupreme

99tacosupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    1999 Black V6 PreRunner TRD
    Pioneer Headunit, Infinity Kappa 6.5" speakers, Alpine Type R sub with Alpine M500 amp, 15% Tint up front 5% in the back, Deckplate mod, Debadged, Bilstien 5100s, Wheelers 1.5"AAL, DDM 55w 6k Lights
    Did you also put the U bolts in front of the axle along with the Helper spring in the rear?

11. Sep 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    MSUtacoboy

Member:
    MS
    Vehicle:
    no, not yet. i plan on doing that soon. gonna see if i can get the pieces at Ace hardware cheaper.

12. Oct 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    rico334

rico334 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2 WD
    Well I'll be damned.... I bought the helper springs and was intending on the doing the full mod with them. Got up this morning and decided to just use the 2 U bolts in front of the axle to clamp the springs tight before I went to a lot of trouble to install the whole thing. Got them tightened down really well and drove up the block. The enitre axle wrap problem is GONE !!!!!! I'm stopping right there because I couldn't be happier at this moment.... THANKS to the OP on this thread !!!!!!

robertjohnsonjr likes this.
  13. Oct 3, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just installed one u-bolt on each spring, midway between the front shackle and the axle.

14. Oct 3, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  15. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    2004Taco

2004Taco Financially Irresponsible

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Where and how much was this product? Im looking into buying some new leaf spring because mine are wore out and thats causing my to have axle wrap but if its going to be cheaper. Ill just get what you have.

16. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    Voyageur

Voyageur Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    Sierra Beige
    After reading these articles I installed u bolts in front of axle and the axle wrap stopped. Then I put u bolts in rear of axle, but later took them off as it was stiffer than I preferred. I've had my 99 for 6,000 miles since I've owned it (156,000 total) and I had gotten used to it, but much better now that it stops "normally".

17. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    kendubya

kendubya Active Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 TRD
    billy 5100's, aal's, , leer shell, thule pro ladder rack, rubber antenna mod, silver stars, weathertech mats, ram mount custom droid x dash mount
    So I've added a leaf to each leaf pack, installed billys and I still have wrap. I was told the clamps could hamper the proper movement of the leaf springs by the suspension company that added the leaves. Opinions? What's next?

Tapatalk on DX

18. Oct 5, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's

if you put the clamps front side of the axle as close to the u bolt top plate as you can, it won't interfere enough for you to notice. the further away from the axle you put them, the more they will interfere with the slip/separation of the springs. my advice to you is to try it out...if you don't like the clamps, take them off.

19. Oct 5, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    kendubya

kendubya Active Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 TRD
    Ok, I'll give it a go. Thanks

Tapatalk on DX

20. Oct 7, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    tt07

tt07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd
    none yet
    I have a 01 4wd with the awfull wrap anf thunk at stop so thanks to all of you for posting all of this i read everyone i im going to the parts store TODAY!!!!!!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top