1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Google SketchUp Thread

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Forster46, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 [OP] Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Hey guys I was gonna start designing a rear bumper but had a question before I starrted. I'm looking to just make a simple bolt on replacement, much like all the others on here, but with a few unique features.

My question:
    Can I make a custom bumper work with my receiver hitch? I really do not want to put a hitch straight to a bumper, because that will lower my towing capacity a ways. Can I make it work with a full receiver hitch setup?

2. Feb 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Not so worried about clearance issues, since I want to keep my full hitch, just for looks and armor.

3. Feb 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    you can put a hitch in a plate steel or tube bumper not a problem.

4. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    I'm gonna check it all out in the morning and see what can be done. Just figured I would ask first.

5. Mar 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    Designing a bed rack. not finished with it though
    [​IMG]

6. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Does that slide out for a bed tent or something?

7. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Sub'd. Will toy around with this and see what I can come up with.

8. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    yeah it slides out (or bolts on to the side) for a tent

9. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    i used it in college a lot, i sort of re-taught myself this past year how to use it. i use it at work now when a client requests it. i'm still not that great at it, i have a friend i went to school with that is ridiculous with it. I'll see if i have any of the stuff i did on my hard drive.

10. Mar 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Thats cool. I'm thinking of making a rack like that, minus the part for the tent on the side, that can hold a basket on top and hilift and shovel on the sides

11. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    awesome. do you have any designs yet?

12. Mar 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    I will be designing it tomorrow probably. Not sure if it will sit full height like a cap, or just several inches above the bed. I want to be able to mount a hilift on one side and shovel/axe on the other.

Will probably be made of tubing, and hold a spare tire somehow.

13. Apr 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    I use sketch up alot to fool around, I have trouble making tubing in it for some reason.

14. Apr 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    I have problems with it sometimes too. Make sure it has a place to start and end otherwise it will get all screwy

15. Apr 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    This. If you don't have a start and end point it just gets crazy. I have been having a ton of trouble trying to get a bed rack designed.

16. Apr 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    start with a rectangle then place the start and finish locations of the tube.
    use a circle.

Then make a path to follow with a line from circle A to circle B.

THEN delete circle B so just the line remains.

Then use the follow me tool and drag circle A to the end of the line.

if you go into view then face style select x-ray. you can use the lines inside of the tube to make them intersect and be even.

17. Apr 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Wow! glad i saw this thread.. been recently working on a roof basket and bed rack combo recently. Its a cross between the Body armor 4x4 sport rack thing, and B.A.M.F.'s awesome bed rack (hope you dont mind jerry!). I love the look of the sport rack, but quite honestly it seems pretty useless the way it is mounted. It attaches to the bed bolts towards the cab, but then the rest of the support goes into the bed rails. Doesnt seem very sturdy. So i wanted to combine the two, as well as (which isn't in the sketch up) attaching to the roof rack mounting holes.
    However, i'm torn. the pic is of the first one i designed, but then i though that i would love if the bed rack was the same height as the basket, and the basket ran from over the cab all the way to the back of the bed. So im currently working on modifying the design to show that. So here's the first rack i made! Please, let me know what you think :)

Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg

18. Apr 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Looks pretty good:thumbsup:

I don't know what your plans are but a RTT wouldn't fit on there due to the bar orientation, either way keep up the good work:cool:

19. Apr 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco

Been trying to figure out how to get into xray view forever. Thanks! And I'll have to try the way you mentioned for making tubing. I think I have been doing it slightly different and most of the time it just comes out weird.

20. Apr 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Looks good! I may have missed it in reading your post but do you plan on mounting lights anywhere?

Products Discussed in

To Top