1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Google Voice

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Hotdog, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Feb 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    JEP

JEP Resident Lurker

Member:
    Madison
    Vehicle:
    15 DBL V6 4WD
    N-fabs, BakFlip VP, power tailgate lock, bed lights, "raptor" grill lights. Standard mall crawler stuff.
    Anyone?

2. Feb 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    comiesutra

comiesutra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Greenwood, IN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4X4 Silver AC SR5 Manual
    MonsterKnobs.com shift knob, Sony MEX-BT3900u
    I haven't done this but I know it will work. I've used voice for a few years now and love it. I actually have it setup so that my home, personal cell and work desk phone ring at the same time using just one number. The nice thing is that it only calls work when I am in the office, and the same for when I am at home.

Do some research about settings. Its really easy to accidentally wipe numbers and change the way things work. Ask me how I know...

3. Feb 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I have no experience porting a number, but I know you can port it to Google Voice.

Making a call from the google voice number on your cell phone isn't the most convenient thing ever... If you have an iPhone, you can download the google voice ap. You open the ap, and make the call from it. (There are probably aps for android/windows phones, too)

Otherwise, you have to call your google voice number from one of the linked phones, then dial #2, then enter the number you want to call. It's cumbersome.

I like having my google voice number to give out to anybody who doesn't need my actual cell number (like when I sell stuff on here, or on CL, etc.), but I wouldn't use it the way you described unless there's an easier way to make calls that I don't know about.

4. Feb 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    JEP

JEP Resident Lurker

Member:
    Madison
    Vehicle:
    15 DBL V6 4WD
    N-fabs, BakFlip VP, power tailgate lock, bed lights, "raptor" grill lights. Standard mall crawler stuff.
    Thanks for the replies, my work phone is a blackberry.... company policy for some reason... The Google voice app works quite well on it, I tried it with a new google voice number so I would know how it works before I ported my number. When my contract is up in a few month I am going to do it.

Products Discussed in

To Top