1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GOP made a stand Finally

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by AUDITECH, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Jan 29, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    goofyboy

goofyboy Longhorn.

Member:
    Katy, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I lost 11,000 fellow employees. Four from my small group alone. The $85 billion is to extend unemployment for longer period of time. If you can't find a job in 6 months, the problem may be with the person looking and not the market. There are all sorts of jobs available. Taco Cabana is hiring for the night shift. Is it a great job, no. is it a job? yes.

You have to cut the handouts off at some point, otherwise, what is the point of ever getting a job.

2. Jan 29, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    actually, i vote republican and i complained alot. sure it was nice getting a couple hundred bucks but it'd be nicer if they didn't take so much out of my paycheck in the first place.

i couldn't agree more. it pissed me off when bush did it, and now its pissing me off that obama is trying to do it. this has nothing to do with what party you're aligned with, it has to do with the government carelessly throwing around money it doesn't have and taking it out of my pocket. I want to see less government control, but unfortunately the republicans and teh democrats both seem to be fighting to see who can form the biggest government.

3. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I don't know if this bill will do any good or not, but I do know Obama promised there would be no pork in the bill and the bill is full of it. Imagine that... a politician that lies.:mad:

4. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    No offense, but I don't think you get it. If you live in a large metropolitan area, I'm sure that there are more job opportunities if you lower your standards, but for people that don't, the jobs are few and far between right now. The largest employer in my county laid off a ton of people, and has put on a hiring freeze. There are a lot of people out of work here, and like I said, about 20 employee wanted ads in the local paper that would usually have hundreds. I don't just expect people to pick up and move to find work when they certainly can't sell their homes. The solution to the problem isn't as simple as going getting a job at McDonald's for a lot of people... it's hard enough for my friend to find 5 jobs to apply for to continue qualifying for her unemployment benefits each week.

5. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    SilverSeven

SilverSeven Rock Solid Toy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    6" 35s mud and scratched to shit
    How about Kuwait helps us out, since we are pretty much the reason they are even a country anymore.

except, oh yeah!! any money our government gets, goes straight in their pockets!!!

6. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    ^^ Correct. The solution is to get the businesses incentive to hire. There is none of that now. You said so yourself. Hiring freeze.
    We have the highest corporate tax rate in the free world!
    Chop it, then freeze income taxes (this can be done with a penstroke)
    Give the money to the people and businesses not the failed lending institutions that got us part and parcel in this mess.

7. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    SilverSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:

now why is that (no offense) some joe shmoe online can come up with this "simple" plan, yet these motherf***ers in washington cant figure out how to take a shit?

8. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    goofyboy

goofyboy Longhorn.

Member:
    Katy, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    the republicans have a plan that will create 6.2 million jobs and cost 1/2 as much. They used the same economic matrix that Obama's and Biden's economic team used and came out with over double the jobs, 1/2 the cost and quicker time table. The issue is that the dems don't want you or I doing for ourselves. If they cut the taxes, they lose the power. It is all about power in congress now.

Don't get me wrong. i think the repubs have done a shit job the last 8 years (even after 2006, they were too busy appeasing the dems to stand up for conservitive repubs). I just don't get why pelosi and obama think that this bill really is a good idea. They really believe in it. ALL of it.

9. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    alot of the largest employers are laying off. Boeing is looking to cut 10,000 jobs just after obama gets sworn in. you dont think that has anything to do with boeing's military contracts and the fact that obama is immediately cutting military spending and support do you....

those job losses are directly related to obama. My dad works for Honeywell at a repair and overhaul plant for helicopter engines. he is currenty a senior buyer so he has no reason to worry, but alot of the "non senior" people are being let go because they have contracts with the coast guard, the navy, and the army. He got a great job offer in utah and wanted to take it but he would have been the new guy. he didn't take the job because he knew this would happen if obama was elected and he didn't want to be the first to get laid off. If people want to blame bush for messing stuff up, thats fine, because he was a terrible president. but you also need to let some blame fall on obama too, because he has not gotten off to a great start, and while we can't blame the economy on him, we can blame him for certain job losses

10. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Infrastructure spending will help just as much locally... Our roads haven't been designed to keep up with the rate of growth that we've experienced in the last 10 years, and there are plenty of construction/engineering/survey/architectural firms around here closing their doors because there's no work. I certainly agree that cutting corporate taxes would help, but I get to see firsthand where the infrastructure spending will also do a lot of good. The plan may not be perfect, but it's a step in the right direction if you ask me.

11. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    OU812

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    none taken.. :p

12. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I'll freely admit that I'm not a Republican, but more of a moderate Democrat to perhaps leaning even a tad Libertarian. But I'm definitely not a fan of the stimulus plan for a number of reasons. The prime reason is that throwing money at the current batch of problems isn't addressing the issues, and that would be that Americans in general have run themselves into serious debt. The economy had been fueled by bubbles: Tech and housing bubbles to be specific. Bubbles make some people rich, but the reality is that the US middle class lost its purchasing ability long ago, credit has been too heavily used to supplement money people simply don't have, and the price of houses, cars, and everything in between is artificially too high to be supported by real economics.

The 'solution' is to let it crash and burn. Let those housing prices come down. Force companies to use ingenuity to develop products that more closely match what real wages can afford. Force people to make better education decisions in a new economic environment. Do these things and suddenly, stability will return because people will actually be able to afford what their income supports.

But stepping back for a minute, I think the Republicans are acting like morons. The latest I've heard is that they're going to "go back to their base". Well... seeing as how that stance didn't work at all during the election, Its stupid if you ask me to continue in a direction that's obviously unappetizing to Americans given the state of the country. Perhaps at another time- maybe. But not now.

13. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    OU812

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    Income for infrastructure projects needs to be proportional to private sector productivity.:cool:
    You can't have one without the other.. Get people employed and being productive again in business. They work, they are happy, they have dignity. Then they continue to build. Then the city gets it's gates and bridges..
    Hell, we have our own TW mini city following this simple productive model!

14. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    SilverSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:

Im with ya on that.. this whole bailing out thing weve got going on is ludacris! I mean, its like these people are suffering no consequences for their terrible business practices, yet we the people, are suffering ALL of the consequences. Dude, you FUCKED UP!! bottom line, NO you dont get any money from me, but leave it to the government to go soft on them.... we truly are screwed.

15. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i vote republican because "traditionally" they stood for a smaller federal government (although you'd never know that to look at them now). I'm technically a libertarian, but i know we'll never get one in office so i vote republican until there is a better choice. I think it's a good idea for republicans to get back to their base, they didn't do it during the election, McCain is not a traditional republican. The rep's lost for a multitude of reasons

16. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    To look at both sides of the coin though, I can see the reasoning for improving infrastructure. The idea is basically mimicking the New Deal programs from the 30's on a smaller scale, which was a success to some degree.WW2 basically saved our asses in the end.

If you drive around the Blue Ridge parkway, or drive over those TVA dams, they were all made with labor from New Deal programs. The problem with this comparison is that the Depression of the 30's was worse. Men who worked in those programs were doing it practically for free. They got 3 hot meals and a place to sleep. It was a totally different situation. Plus, in making such comparisons to the New Deal and today, that pretty much suggests that we must be in a depression. The economy is all about market sentiment, and if the sentiment is that we need special programs that resemble depression era programs, then by golly- we must be in a depression.

17. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    I kind of disagree with you on Mccain's campaign. His problem was that he DID go back to his base. He's actually an intelligent man with modern ideas. But he kind of took the low road if you ask me. If the Mccain I remember from 2000 had run, we might have a different president today. His problem ( just my opinion) is that he should've given the US public more credit for being intelligent instead of sinking to the levels he did during his latest campaign. Oh well. That's done now, so I'm ready to move on. I know I'll get hell for saying that, but remember- just my opinion and nothing more.

18. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    OU812

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    Damnit!!! It's not OUR fault!! I'm sick of that mentality being ladeled upon the people of this country that WE entirely created this mess..
    It's the US Government that was the ENABLER for this mess we are in.
    THEY-- the politicians on both sides forced otherwise decent banks to lend to people who HAD NO MEANS of ever repaying debt. Quasi-government- corps to oversee housing loans. No belt tightening on their part to reel in the standards.

A home for everyman.
    A chicken in every pot.
    Bullshit!!

19. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Exactly. I love how these days when the news talks about foreclosed homes that the 'owners' ( I call em homedebtors) are referred to as victims. Golly. I guess if I bought a Bentley and couldn't afford the payments, then I too would be a 'victim'.

20. Jan 29, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i dont think ANY republican candidate had a chance in this election. Bush spent the last 8 years ruining the republican name and image, so that anytime anyone thought the word "republican" it was accompanied by an image of Bush. Plus, as much as i dislike obama, he is extremely charming and personable, and unfortunately, the presidency has turned into a popularity contest. Not to mention the whole race thing. I'm not saying race is the only reason obama was elected but it definitely was a contributing factor. The republican party was screwed from the beginning, mostly due to their own actions

Products Discussed in

To Top