1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

got a few questions.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TnRedNeck721, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 [OP] Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    got a few questions. i tried searching but did not really find what i wanted.

after i get tint and tires. it’s time for some bass and new H/U.

ok so first some back ground info. not looking for much just a little something. i think one 10” will do fine.(for now at least) what is a good 10”? (i know kicker’s are good) want it to go behind the back seat on drivers side. do i need a shallow mount or not? i thought i read wear 10” don’t need to be but 12” do.

also thought about the kicker hidaway. any thoughts about it?

H/u, want touch screen, nav, blue tooth, and maybe add back up camera later. also what is good with polarized sunglasses?

i think i’m going to talk to some shops and get ideas next week.

2. Feb 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Many brands will be sufficient. You do not need a shallow, but you may want to find a box that you like (or talk to your shop about it) and determine what will work in the box.

As to the head unit, I dont normally wear polarized glasses, but most will have some issues. I have yet to find one that didnt, that was somewhat affordable.

You need to define budget, actual goals, space you are willing to give up.

Also, let people know if you want to install it yourself, or have a shop/installer do it for you.

3. Feb 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    TnRedNeck721

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah. i’ll most likely go with kicker i know they are more money but don’t mind paying. i don’t mind giving up space. i would like to keep what i can but don’t use most of it so i can give it up if i need to.

and yeah thats what i was kinda a-frade of. both my oakley and spy are polarized.

i don’t have an actual budget. i don’t want the cheapest yet not the most expensive either. and it will be a shop most likely best buy. they are about the best price for installs around here and do good.

4. Feb 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC

I doubt the polarized issue will be that big of a deal, but it bothers some more than others. See if a buddy has something installed, because looking at it in the store with the lights they have wont be the same as seeing it in the sun.

Kicker is a decent enough brand, though not my preferences. If you like em, rock em.

Check out *********.com to get an idea of a single 10 box that will fit on the driver side.

Head unit - What do you need - order of importance. If Ipod is top, I am a fan of Pioneer. For Nav, Kenwood is great, though I dont like the interface. Its just a matter of finding what you like.

5. Feb 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    TnRedNeck721

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    yeah not that big of a deal but i know some stuff it’s like impossible to see. if i have to move my head an inch or 2 thats fin.

yeah i have looked at their stuff.

H/U ipod, nav, and blue tooth. those are the 3 big things i want.

6. Feb 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    No Fat Chicks

No Fat Chicks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    Ranger
    Tube bumpers/ lift spindle, fox 2.0, glass on all corners, exhaust, custom stereo
    my dad wears polorized sunglasses and has never had trouble seeing or messing with my kenwood head-unit when hes in my truck. $0.02

7. Feb 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    It's been said once, and it will be said again, but sound is subjective - the only way you know you'll like it or not is to go listen to it...

And I'm sorry for having said this, but trying to read your writing was painful...

"ofter" ??
    "do i need a shallow mont or now? i thought i saw wear 10” don’t need..." ??

Don't school's teach English anymore? Or even the difference between wear, where, were, and we're?

On a positive note.... I noticed you had a birthday here recently.... Happy Belated Birthday

And that's the first time that I had given thought to polarized sunglasses and an in-dash video screen, and what effects one has on the other.... Thank you for opening my mind in that regard.

8. Feb 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    TnRedNeck721

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    yeah i know it is. i’m just trying to get ideas on a few thinks so i can narrow down what i need/ want to look in too a bit more.

sorry. will go fix. meant after, mount and not.

schools here SUCK!! and the school i went to sucks as well. most my English teachers did not really “teach” class mostly sat at their desks. on top of that English was hard for me.

and yeah i’m just think about that for the nav part of it really. i don’t really need to see what song is on or anything. just wear i’m going. lol

and thanks for the belated birthday!

9. Feb 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    Bluetooth is pretty good with all of the current generation units I have used.

Nav is great with Kenwood, good with pioneer, decent with alpine (IMO).

Ipod goes to Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood - in that order.

Go play with them to find out which one you like.

10. Feb 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I've always understood that JL audio was supposed to be good for less space, but I've never had them. Heard them and liked the sound of them. I've had Kickers before and they were great, I also like Punch. It all depends on how high end you want also.

Products Discussed in

To Top