1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got a NEW motorcycle

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by toyotadude5, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 8, 2010 at 2:23 AM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 [OP] Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    ya i need to find a nice jacket. The one i have is WAY too hot. Any ideas on what would be good? Also need to find pants and boots.

2. Jul 8, 2010 at 3:05 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Yeah me to. I have been researching the KLR 650 I am not really in to sport bikes.

3. Jul 8, 2010 at 3:11 AM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    ive also ridden for years bottom line is this.
    its not if you will wreck, its when and how bad.
    do yourself a favor and get some good gear. When your riding, your body is only worth as much as the gear you put on it.
    im not trying to scare you, ive ridden thousands of miles(mostly at speeds above 100 mph:)) without any major wrecks.
    ive also laid my bike down just pulling into my driveway(will not explain:eek:)
    one important tip i can give you is dont armor-all your tires.

4. Jul 8, 2010 at 3:36 AM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    would you recommend this for me?

5. Jul 8, 2010 at 6:03 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    At Americade in Lake George in June there were so many vendors. I bought a Olympia Motorsports Apparel vented armor jacket & pants. I am very pleased with the quality after checking out lots of other brands. Olympiamotorsports.com.

Another brand I like is Cortech vented.

6. Jul 8, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    or your seat.

7. Jul 8, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    NicP

NicP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB
    3" Icon CO Icon Rez and AAL ProComp 7089 BFG 285 AT KO
    Congrats!!!
    Have fun but ALWAYS be careful attentive and observant.
    Ive ridden for over 20 yrs (2 strokes in fields then 15 yrs ago sport bikes, 1st sport was first cbr 600 called a Hurricane Then a 98 CBR900RR). I use to log 10-12K miles/yr highway and city. The Hurricane was black and the 900 is ALL bright yellow. I love black bikes and cars and I love my ol' yeller 900 but over the years you realize you have to bee seen. I will NEVER buy a dark colored bike again. When I had the Black one I had to be avoid being hit(turned into, lane changed into everything) at least once a day (seriously) and with the yellow one still very often. It has only gotton worse with the texting, phoning, I phoning, social networking, GPS ing, and crowded roads. I only put around a few K in miles a year now a days, but yesterday over 22 miles of riding I almost got hit/lane changed into twice.
    A 20 year old kid died over July 4th weekend in Boulder T-boned at an intersection Ive had to avoid being hit many times. The kid was the x-boyfriend of my co-worker/employees wife. It was too close too home. Ive got the CBR in the CL thinking I was gonna pick up an 08 CBR 1000 (man thats a great bike) but I think Im gonna stop riding(I cant believe it) at least on the streets.

BE CAREFUL AND GEAR UP EVERY RIDE!!! IT MIGHT NOT BE YOUR ERROR BUT WITH 2 TONS HITTING YOU AND ONLY RIDING ON 400 LBS YOU WILL LOSE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Jul 8, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    NicP

NicP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB
    3" Icon CO Icon Rez and AAL ProComp 7089 BFG 285 AT KO
    cbr 600 hurricane
    [​IMG]

9. Jul 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    ok i have the helmet and gloves. Im looking for lightweight pants and jacket, thaqt during the day wont be too hot, but at night when i ride home should keep me comfortable (not cold) Any ideas?

10. Jul 8, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    ya its a cool little bike. Most people wouldnt know its just a 250. Im getting 60 mpg with it. Top speed is only about 95. But its a great first bike. I will sell this and updrade when i feel comfortable down the road.

11. Jul 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i have all alpine stuff. pricey but it saved my life more than once. a good pair of heavy jeans offers more protection than people give them credit for.

Road rash sucks!!! be careful... two types of riders, those whove fallen and those who havent yet...

12. Jul 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

i speak from experience, crashing sucks so protect yourself...

I hit some broken glass and a side view mirror on a highway exit ramp. There was an accident that was never fully cleaned up an i came around the ramp to a road littered with broken glass and hit the side view mirror with the back tire blowing it out while the front tire slid on the glass...

i recovered and the accident didnt slow me down!!! but be aware of your surroundings, even the best riders have there bad days. Just remember that it can be a road you travel everyday, it only takes one variable.

Nice bike though!!!

13. Jul 8, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    so is that alpine stuff pretty durable and comfortable? Not too hot?

14. Jul 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    i have a mesh jacket from them that is super cool... the mesh is really tight and reinforced with titanium and kevlar. its light and super comfy but you can buy a mesh of lesser quality from hjc or joe rocket for 100-140$ but my alpine was $430

15. Jul 8, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    ok cool. I ride home from work at 130 in the morning and i need something that is going to keep me warm also. But when i ride into work its still pretty warm outside so that same jacket needs to keep me cool as well. So just need something thats all around comfortable and going to keep me safe in an accident

16. Jul 8, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    the same alpinestar jacket came with a super awesome liner that was wind and water proof and i used it when there was still snow on the ground and its my jacket of choice for hot summer days here in cali...

[​IMG]

17. Jul 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I bought the Airglide pants $199 that comes with a removable waterproof liner & armor & Bonneville jacket $189 also with removable liner & armor. All their products & material descriptions are on the website. In person the stuff is high quality for the price.

18. Aug 13, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    Hellmutt

Hellmutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Piqua, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRDsport 4x4 DC
    sadly, I've only put Husky Liners in it thus far - tend to blow all my cash on my bikes and guitars.
    Nice lil 250 - not sure how big you are, but I'll bet you'll be ready to upgrade into a 600 or more soon enough........textile jackets are better than leather if your not track riding just because they aren't nearly as warm in the heat and still insulate in the colder temps.......plus, it only has to work once -- usually half the price of a leather jacket.
    Like I tell my riding buddies, don't go cheap on gloves as they are more important than your jacket, pants, boots combined........you need your fingers to change your bandages and hold onto your crutches!! Haha!

Another good thing to get would be an Area-P or Yoshimura exhaust, it gives her a bit more kick in lower rev range and maybe even gear it up a tooth or 2 on the rear to give ya some more torque -- these won't be SERIOUS mods for power, but definitely a noticeable difference

Products Discussed in

To Top