1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got a tough one: Truck starts vibrating only while accelerating

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dakoma, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Jan 30, 2010 at 1:18 AM
    Dakoma

Dakoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leif
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD 6-speed
    I have a 05 Tacoma with a 6-speed manual transmission and the V6 with about 74,000 miles. We just drove across country towing a heavy moving trailer, and towards the end of the trip (in the mountains) the truck started to develop a vibration or pulsation only while accelerating in all gears (especially noticable at highway speeds). As soon as you let off the accelerator, the vibration stops, but any time the drive train is under load it vibrates. Also, every once in a while, you can hear a chattering coming from the mid section of the truck when driving up a steap hill at lower speed.

I think it might be the clutch, but when I took it into the dealership to see what they thought, the shop's "top mechanic" that I went on a test drive with said that since there wasn't any vibration in the clutch petal and I didn't smell any burning clutch, it probably wasn't the clutch. Not sure if he's right or not, but he didn't have any other idea of what the problem was..... Money is a little tight right now, and I'm a little apprehinsive of just dropping the truck off with neither myself or the shop having a clue as to the problem.

So 2 questions:
    1. Anybody have any idea what the problem is? And what it might cost?
    2. How many miles can you expect out of a Tacoma clutch?
    Thanks for the help

2. Jan 30, 2010 at 1:32 AM
    Dutch'nComa13

Dutch'nComa13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Rocky Gap VA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD sport 4X4
    Black FJ steelies with 285/70/17 Michelin ATs, black tacoma steelies with 255/85/16 Dunlop Rover MT, Blacked out fender flares, Custom built RPM Offroad front bumper, weathertech digifit floor mats, Toyota Prado snorkel, secondary air filter removed, AFE pro dry replacement filter, seat belt mod, 3" lift (OME 885 with spacers front, all pro expo leafs rear), Home made custom rear high clearance bumper. Custom made scratches all over!
    Is your truck lifted at all? It may be the drive shaft out of balance or something to that effect. As far as the clutch on our trucks I'm not sure. However, I have an 85 celica with over 320,000 miles on it and only replaced the clutch, pressure plate, TOB, and slave cylinder once.:D It should be good for a while unless you wheel or tow a lot. I'm sure someone else will chime in here with extras.

3. Jan 30, 2010 at 1:40 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Smart money says its your carrier (center) bearing (2 piece drive shaft) Is there a slight howling or whining sound also ??.........:cool:

4. Jan 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM
    JetTech

JetTech Member

Member:
    East Bay, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport D-Cab Long Bed 4X4
    Icon/5100, N-FAB Side steps, AIRAID Intake, Secondary air filter removed, WeatherTech's, OEM roof rack, USA-spec ipod adapter, A/C-defrost mod,2ea Delta bike Hitch Pro2 Locking bike mounts,TRD Skid,Polk 6x9/6,RedLine hood struts,under-hood led lighting...
    If not the Carrier Bearing, then drive shaft U-joints. I'd start by checking the torque on the U-joint fasteners... Just my 2cents.

5. Jan 30, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    There's another thread about an owner who had a vibration that was originally diagnosed as a transmission failure: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/68278-2006-v6-automatic-transmission-failure.html. The problem turned out to be a broken U-joint.

I'd inspect anything in the drive line that could allow the drive shaft to move off center.

6. Jan 30, 2010 at 4:06 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    My guess is j-joint or motor mount.

7. Jan 30, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    99% sure it's one of your u-joints that's bad

8. Jan 30, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    08TRD Sport

08TRD Sport ROOTIN AROUND

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    10 5th Gen 4Runner
    mmm I dunno

9. Jan 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    Dakoma

Dakoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leif
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD 6-speed
    From time to time there is a chatter, or almost a sqeak coming from somewhere towards the middle of the truck. I checked the carrier bearing, and I can wiggle it back and forth a good 1/2". Is this normal??

10. Jan 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    red neck toy

red neck toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    -3in toytech lift -33" x 11.5" firestone destination m/t -16" x 10" mickey thompson classic II. -cut and boxed in body mounts so no more rubbing!! -black headlight covers -anytime foglight mod -35%tint front -5% over stock on back -custom built bull bar -mossy oak camo seat covers -k&n cold air intake -tornado gas saver -dual straight pipes. only tacoma i've seen with them and it sounds really good. (but not if you dont like loud) lol.. soon to come: -black headlight mod -aftermarket grill -blacked out emblems -headers -new shocks and leafsprings - considering all pro front bumper
    i had this same problem with my old 2000 tacoma 5speed.
    it vibrated when on the gas but when i let off it went away. i had a mechanic from toyota who is also a family friend look at it and before he looked at it he checked the frame for the recall they had and put a hammer right threw it lol so it qualified for the buy back recall. anyways to make a long story short i never found out what the problem was. good luck. it could be a u joint or somethin like that. all i know is that when my truck did it i checked u joints and everything and couldnt find anything wrong. i was gonna check the transmission but like i said never got that far.

only thing i did find is that we held a long screw driver against the tranny and you could feel the vibration threw the screw driver. my grandpa thought it could be the tail shaft bearing or something like that.

11. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    My exhaust has a slight vibe when on the accelerator? but doesn't clunk?

12. Aug 11, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    sctaco

sctaco New Member

Member:
    I have excessive vibration while accelerating in my 2005 pre runner 4cyl 2 wheel drive manual transmission. I have read a lot of post about what could be the problem so I decided to investigate to see if any of these things apply to my truck. I was able to discover what look like bearings coming apart where my two piece drive shaft connects (the piece closer to the transmission). Not sure though so that's why I am here. Please take a look at the picture below and tell me if this could be a reason why I am feeling the vibration. THANKS

[​IMG]

13. Aug 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    Wingit

Wingit Member

Member:
    Northern Ca.
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    Looks like there shot, that red dust is the powder of your bearings being ground up. I had the same vibration under acceleration, my u joint looked like yours, replaced them and everything is good now.
    In fact by the looks of that I wouldn't waist any time getting that replaced.

14. Aug 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Yep they done :D

To Top