1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

got an alignment...what does this mean?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by stcktnkid, Mar 13, 2014.

1. stcktnkid

stcktnkid [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    2014 tacoma...got front Bilstein 5100 set at 1.75 in the front, and 265/75/16 Duratracs...had Sears do an alignment for $85. Here is the print out.

[​IMG]

Can someone tell me what this means or sum it up? was my alignment off? Did it need to be done? Was it worth it?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Living the dream !!!

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Accesscab
    TC UCAs, OME 886, Dakar leaf pack, Warn RC9.0 winch, ARB bull bar front bumper, BFG KOs 265/75-R16 (10 Ply) including spare, KC HiD 6" rounds, Raider fiberglass cap, Tule ski and bike racks, steel brake lines, AllPro high-clearance rear bumper (modified to deal with design shortcomings), 4crawler 1" body lift. TRD Supercharger. Pioneer PRS-80 stereo with JVC center console sub and Alpine 5-channel amp and door speakers. TRD Cat-back exhaust. Gel-pack battery. Hi-lift jack.
    Well, Sears should have gone over it with you. Actually I thought Sears had closed all their tire centers. Odd.

Anyway, you can see the printout is color-coded. Sure, probably a key to the colors would be useful - I see that is missing.

GREEN = Good (within specs for that model)

RED = Bad (out of specs for that model)

So, you can see some things were out of spec when you brought it in (RED) and that everything is GREEN afterwards, except for the Steering Axis Inclination (SAI) which is really close to being in-spec. Probably nothing to worry about.

About sums it up.

3. Noelie84

Noelie84 Semper Procrastinus

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma SR5 4x4 (Aggie)
    Trac Racs, Feather Foot mod for increased MPG, Nagging Passenger mod for safer driving :-)
    Everything was in spec except for the toe on the Front wheels.

4. ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB SR5 TRD Off Road 4WD
    diff breather extension, fog light anytime, locker anytime, tailgate theft prevention, plasti-dipped all chrome, custom satoshi grill, Rigid Dually fog lights and spots, Bilstein 5100's all around, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar leaf pack, 1.25 wheel spacers.
    From what I can see, it looks like after the lift was installed the front tires were a little leaned in on top (camber) like this / \. With your amount of lift it is fine but that is why aftermarket upper control arms are recommended with 3" and up because the stock one can only adjust so far out. Also you were a little toe in meaning the front of your tires were closer than the back of your tires. While your numbers weren't horrible, probably better that you got it done so your tires will wear evenly.

5. kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD High-Flow Drop-In Air Filter TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM Rear PreRunner MudFlaps OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob TRD High-Performance Front Brake Pads OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Lights OEM Stow-Away Roof Rack OEM Black Tube Steps OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors AVS Tail-Light Covers TRD High Performance Oil Filter TRD Oil Cap TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap AMI Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers/Badges
    One problem is that u brought it to sears lol .... bring it to toyota, your service manager may even be able to put the alignment under warranty since you have a 2014. Im doing an eibach spring upgrade this weekend and will be making an appointment with toyota for early Monday morning for an alignment..... because there is no way that when set at 1.75 with stock springs the Upper Control arms would run out of adjustment.... there's no way lol

6. steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser
    Mini H1 Retrofit 5K, 1st Gen TRD CAI, JBA Catback, Radflo 2.5 extended coilovers w/ resis, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks with resis, toytec superflex rear springs, DSM Uniball UCA's, intake manifold spacer
    the technician should have been able to get your camber #'s down closer to zero than they are. i would take it back if i were you. I'm just really anal when it comes to my alignments and how my truck drives lol.

7. hilux30

hilux30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    It means you're camber is +(1, 0.8)+ degree, top of tire is out more then the bottom buy that much, caster is more positive on left, but very close so it shouldn't pull, but if does it would to the left.
    The toe is what bothers me, it's supposed to be 'toed-in' about (-0.1) to (-0.4) degrees to compensate for large tire flex, what's your tire size and how does it drive?

Edit, I just saw 265/75-16, which is what I run... that's not too big but still, you might be fine but Ford F350s we have to toe them is ever so slightly (-) with 33' or bigger... My Tacoma is on the middle of a control arms, CV and Rack&pinion swap, alignment was never right 'till hopefully this Monday... cheers

and yes your specs were way off, cambered in one side (-), and cambered out on the other (+), the caster was amazingly close before than after, toe was (-) so the opposite of what you ended up with.

I personally like tires straight up and down, so camber near zero...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  8. stcktnkid

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    Thank you everyone for all the info.

9. stcktnkid

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    it drives fine...doesnt pull or anything

10. kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD High-Flow Drop-In Air Filter TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM Rear PreRunner MudFlaps OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob TRD High-Performance Front Brake Pads OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Lights OEM Stow-Away Roof Rack OEM Black Tube Steps OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors AVS Tail-Light Covers TRD High Performance Oil Filter TRD Oil Cap TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap AMI Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers/Badges
    It will drive fine, but you may notice some abnormal tire wear as a side effect.

11. Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    Homertaco grill, Light Racing UCA's, 2.8" front lift (5100's at 0.85 setting and Eibach springs) 2" AAL with rear 5100's, Wet Okole seat covers fr/ bk. 17 x 9 Incubus Crusher wheels w/ 4.5" backspacing. 30% tinted front windows.
    Yes, outside edge of the tires will wear quicker. Should try to have camber at least below 0.5 or so IMHO. Caster could also be more evenly matched side to side.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  12. ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB SR5 TRD Off Road 4WD
    diff breather extension, fog light anytime, locker anytime, tailgate theft prevention, plasti-dipped all chrome, custom satoshi grill, Rigid Dually fog lights and spots, Bilstein 5100's all around, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar leaf pack, 1.25 wheel spacers.
    Just rotate them more often to accommodate.

13. looking4vr

looking4vr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB OffRoad 6spd
    Bilstein 5100's front and rear with Toyotec 2" AAL. Full audio upgrade, HU - speakers - amp - sub, 2003 Rav4 Steering wheel, RAZO weighted shift knob, tinted windows in front, flappys removed along with factory side steps.
    Can't echo this enough and I'm in the middle of fighting alignment issues myself...two trips to the same alignment shop and it's still jacked up. Beyond frustrated right now and the truck drives so crappy I'm ready to take the lift off :(

14. kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I say just take it to the dealer tho.... they usually have the best equipment , like the most recent hunter alignment racks to get the job done the correct way... and its usually the same or cheaper in price than another local shop. My dealer is $75 plus tax for a full alignment.

15. looking4vr

looking4vr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB OffRoad 6spd
    Bilstein 5100's front and rear with Toyotec 2" AAL. Full audio upgrade, HU - speakers - amp - sub, 2003 Rav4 Steering wheel, RAZO weighted shift knob, tinted windows in front, flappys removed along with factory side steps.
    The crap I got from the shop was "sorry, we can't do any more for you without more labor. A "standard" alignment is a toe n go - what you need is suspension tuning". Piss off and give me my truck back. Have you had good experience with the dealer? I'm leary of the dealer that's near me. We call it the stealership.

16. jessandjamie

jessandjamie Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was given a sob story about my wheel and tire combo giving them issues. I put the stock stuff back on just for the alignment because after two attempts they couldnt get it right. Claimed they couldn't hook the reflector on the aftermarket wheel due to the bead of the tire hanging over it.

17. kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    LOLOL omg what a bunch of crap lmao, that shop sounds like a bunch of hacks no offence lol, and yes, ive always had luck with my particular dealer, it's all about forming a good relationship with the dealer and the majority of them are pretty good and have all the necessary tools to get it done right.. I literally just made an appointment to go to the dealer for monday @ 8 am to get my alignment done and get my headlights aimed lol... I dont wanna thread jack the OP so plz PM me if u have other questions, im curious about what lift you are running and am curious as to what you have exactly is contributing to your issue

To Top