1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got it narrowed down to two...input needed.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MGH-PA, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:55 AM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    Preferably from those of you whom have run the Duratracs and Grabber AT2s. I KNOW I want a tire that is really good in snow and wet conditions (which my TG's are not). I AM on the highway 40 miles a day, 5 days a week, but the truck does see dirt (not trail offroading, but work/hunting offroading). Normally this type of usage wouldn't warrant a tire aggressive as the Duratrac, but I THINK (with proper rotation) I can get 40K out of a set, and by that point, this truck may not even be my dd anymore.

Here's my thoughts:

The AT2 gets better reviews that the BFG for the most part, and it's cheaper. It's also winter rated like the BFG. It also has a treadlife warranty, unlike the BFG AND the Duratracs.

The problem? It looks VERY similar to the BFG (which EVERYONE and their brother has). It's also an E range tire weighing in a 57lbs each for the size I want.

The Duratrac gets great reviews (not as good as the AT2, but still good). I KNOW they are awesome in the rain and snow. They are available in a load range C tire for my truck weighing in at a mere 45lbs (over 10lbs less than the equivalent AT2).

The problems? They are pretty aggressive (which I actually want in a tire), but it always makes me second guess the noise and life of the tire (again, if I can get 40K usable miles out of a set, I'm happy).

They're also a softer compound than the AT2s, so I worry about chunking and sidewall issues offroad (again, I'm not rock climbing, but I do drive a lot of rough roads/trails at home and at my cabin).

There's also no tread life warranty on this tire.

So particularly those of you who might have run both of these tires, I would be interested to hear your thoughts between the two (or anyone for that matter).

I'm actually in need of tires sooner than I thought, because my TG's are getting VERY close to the wear indicators.

2. Oct 9, 2011 at 5:03 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I had the AT2's....Thought it handled just as good as my KO's. I cant speak for the dura tracks, but i have not heard of any complaints.

3. Oct 9, 2011 at 5:07 AM
    greenmonstah

greenmonstah The greenmonstah

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black & Green
    18's projector headlight hid 10k fogs smoked out hid 10k LED's everywhere
    down fall that I have seen with the KO's it that they don't last long at all. AT2 Are good i like them.

4. Oct 9, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    enjm10

enjm10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 4x4 Silver Streak
    20% tint all around, 5100s all four corners w rear aal, step bars, windshield visors, foglight anytime mod, front black lip, door emblems blacked out, satoshi grill, avid light bar, dash light mod blue, also did my own stereo led mod
    I've had my bfg at kos for awhile now n with rotation at every oil change (5000 miles) they still look brand new. If any tread is gone there ain't much of it gone. And I've had them for a whole year+ now. And have put prbly 12-14k on em.

5. Oct 9, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    my vote goes to at2's

not really a fan of huge square blocks as my dd tire tread, and i bet the at2 is alot better on snow/ice

and is it just me or are the duratracs just not a pretty lookin tire....?

mud tires should only be on a toy imo too many mall crawlers with huge knobby tires that they'll never use

6. Oct 10, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    Thanks, any other input?

To Top