1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got shit for japanese truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 650H1, Feb 17, 2012.

1. May 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    Ive been to 2 HD plants, Harleys are 100% assembled here and have 80-90% american made parts by volume..meaning, the engine, frame, exhaust, suspension etc is all made rich here. By numbers, it does have more parts made overseas....all the tiny plastic pieces for electronics, covers, switches etc. If you make a pile of American made vs not on the floor it would make it very clear the bike is MADE here.

The same can be said for most cars assembled here. Ive been to Toyota, hyundai, Ford, chevrolet, mercedez, BMW plants and you can watch them make A LOT of the main component to these cars richt there at the plant and other components get brought in from other manufacturers also here in the US. All the small parts, the crap that gets made in millions-a-day is made overseas. So again, if you count the parts made overseas, yes, USA assembled cars have A LOT of parts made overseas, but if count by volume, size...its mostly made here, that included Japanese, Korean and German cars.

did you know Koreans get the American made Camrys? made in Georgetown KY.

my point being, support your American companies, instead of bashing them because they needed help after decades of bad management and bad CEO that almost sent them to their death along with al the innocent workers that depend on their jobs. And by the same token, don't be ashamed of buying a non american brand either....chances are you are also supporting thousands of american jobs. Globalization works both ways.

Ive been to the Tacoma plant in NorCAl, and i watched them make Tacomas from just a roll of steel.

IMG_0328.jpg

2. May 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    FWIW ... most dealers will admit (and some will tell you outright) that the ... "J - Cars" are the best built/highest quality and many people specifically ask for them.

"J-Car" = Japanese designed vehicle that was built in Japan.

3. May 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    myth01

myth01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    eclipse nav.-w/ Bluetooth & iPod 3'' revtech add a leaf lift kit snug top ss truck cap dive tank racks in back Aux fuse box Aux back up lights, w/ interior fj cruiser stock switch Back up cam Turn signal cams Interior inverter -switched Aux audio/video inputs -RCA (including iPhone cable)w/ 4 input switch Mag light mount Tyredog stand alone tpms Spare tire extension hose Avid off road light bar(powder coated)
    Simply ask them do they support working class Americans or corporations. Atleast my Toyota that was built about two hours south of me supports the local economy my employing American labor. The so called American companies use more factories in Canada and Mexico. My damn trans am was built in canada

4. May 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    My taco was built in your state, in 05'. :)

5. May 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    650H1

650H1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    wow 275 is really low. i am consistently getting 375+ to a tank BEFORE the light comes on, and i have the TRD OR Dcab... hopefully that is just the break in period dude... i dont take it easy very often either..

6. May 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    why does everyone piss and moan about "jap" trucks? so in WWII mitsu manufactured the zero... and we fought a war 70 years ago. OHHHH MYYYY GOODDDD!!

didnt we fight the brittish 240 years ago? and again 200 years ago? what about the italians in WWII? everyone fucking loves ferarri and lamborghini, and ducatti.. or italian leather, or food..

non-withstanding, like everyone else has said, most of our trucks are manufactured in america. its the AMERICAN DIVISION OF TOYOTA. they have their own headquarters and shit here, amirite?

did everyone simultaneously forget that BMW only makes cars now because they were barred from ever making airplanes again?

talk about friggin stupid.

and as far as we tacoma owners go, there will always be a sense of envy from the other truck owners.. or a little bit of competition. why get offended? arent you happy with what you have? you know what you bought and why. who really cares what anyone else thinks? or did you buy the tacoma because your friends on TW thought it was cool?

7. May 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    I got in an arguement with my sister about supporting "our people". I pointed out my wife's Kia was built in Georgia, while the drivetrain of her GM was built in Japan. "Yea, but where is there head office? Where does the profits go?" "Off shore accounts, just like the American companies!"

When I was in college, I drove an RX-7, and my then girlfriend's dad's buddy said, "You should be supporting "our guys" and drive something domestic instead of driving Jap-scrap!". "You're right. I'd support the tow truck driver when it breaks down, the mechanic who fixes it, the parts supplier who sells the parts..." He didn't find me nearly as amusing as my girlfriend's dad.

Most of these tools mean support the unions, not the manufacturer. Otherwise they wouldn't include foreign owned Chrysler. The town I used to work in had factories making parts for Honda, which the sent them to the Honda factory the next town over. But you were a traitor for driving a locally built Civic. I used to work for the pension department for a company that handled the automaker's pensions, and I had too many union guys to count, who had half my education making more than double my wage, with more vacation days than me, telling me I was a useless pencil pusher who didn't really do any work, and they deserved more than the company was giving them, to give a crap about "our guys". When 7 000 of my "pencil pusher" colleagues got laid off, they didn't say "boo". So no, I don't care where it was built. Is it a good vehicle? Do I like it? Sold!

Oh, and one final rant. Why is it that the majority of vehicles I see with "Lose your job yet? Keep buying foreign" stickers are on cars 10, 15 or more years older? How are they supporting the manufacturers more than me? Or my favourite, the guy with the sticker on the Korean built GM who was cutting off and brake-checking people driving "foreign" cars in Windsor, then flipping them the bird.

8. May 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I wouldn't say I got got shit this time but yesterday at a family cookout my father-in-law who doesn't like that I bought a Toyota and an avid Ford and buy American man started talking to his son-in-law's father in front of me as if to give shit. He asked him if he still had his Ranger to which he did. He asked how many miles he had. The response was kinda shocking but had 335k on it and bragged that all he's done is change a timing belt and had a blown head gasket. Good for him I say, but that's not what this is about. It's like he was throwing it in my face at how good Ford is supposed to be. I've posted on here before about him making comments about how I wouldn't put my Toyota up against his son-in-laws F-350 Diesel. :rolleyes: Now I'm kinda getting shit for a fucking Ranger! :mad: :rofl: Palease! His whole family is Ford for the most part. Some do have Camry's and such which I guess is ok but for a truck apparently it's blasphemy to buy foreign.

9. May 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    I see you have the double cab. Ask him how the Ranger double cab is better, and if there is more legroom, or how much more comfortable the seats are.

10. May 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Yeah, it's kinda funny how some people think a Japanese brand sold in the USA was built in Japan. Toy, Nissan, Subaru, they're mostly built here. Lexus, Infiniti, those are built in Japan. The 4runner maybe is still built in Japan.

11. May 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    It's because they used to all be made in Japan.

12. Jul 20, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    98cbtacoma

98cbtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Boerne, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner white
    Cobra cb and 3' cb antennas, headache rack, bed rails, blacked out logos. Goodyear wrangler tires. Second gen Tailgate badge. Hella 500 series black magic lights and 500 series lights on top, led brake and turn lights on my headache rack. Custom Bumpers i built myself.

Funny cuz Toyota has vehicles with the most american made parts, camery, tundra and tacoma ect. Dodge and Chevy didnt even show up on the list, the only "American" made one was ford. Get crap alot for my tacoma cuz i live in a town with a bunch of diesel heads, mainy cummins people so im used to it and doesnt bother me at much as it did in the begining, just offer them youll take their new gran caravan to the junk yard with your tacoma in 10 years. Plus the Tundra and Tacoma are being built in San Antonio Texas and thats cool being down the road from me.

13. Jul 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    Schwinn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
  14. Jul 20, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Oh ZING!!!

15. Jul 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    Hurtin Albertan

Hurtin Albertan Free Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Duck
    on the road less traveled
    Vehicle:
    The mud hides the tree scrapes in the paint
    Huskyliner floor mats
    I love my taco. :D Made in USA but that don't matter to me as much as:
    70 000 miles of abuse and I have only replaced fluids, filters, and lights.
    Starts at 40 below without being plugged in.
    It has an oilfield job and its reliability keeps my paycheck coming.
    It works harder when I'm playing than when I'm working.

None of this is good for the life of my truck but is great for my life. When this truck is done I'm gonna get another one.

Products Discussed in

To Top