1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got the leaf Spring TSB. Here are some pics !

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by khfactor, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Feb 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    They did it for me today got home around lunch. I haven't hauled anything yet but I do notice a difference.

Notice where the shock ties in.

Top is the before bottom is afte rmeasurment.

2. Feb 29, 2008 at 6:56 PM
    nc1100c

nc1100c Active Member

Member:
    I too have a 08 double cab with a build date of 1/08. I checked the numbers on my springs and they were the same as the 05-07 springs. Two days after I got mine I hauled 800 lbs. of concrete block and it bottomed out. I called the 800 number and the lady was no help at all. I took it by the dealership with pictures I had taken of the springs with the weight on it. They called Toyota and the TSB was approved. Well today, I got the tsb done and before I got out of the parking lot I could tell a big difference. No more mushy ride. Toyota should put 4 leaf springs and better shocks on these trucks from the factory!! I have read in several posts were some say the 08"s have updated springs but they dont. They are the same sorry 3 leaf springs. Everyone needs to load up their trucks and take them to the dealership and make a complaint about them bottoming out.

3. Feb 29, 2008 at 7:09 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Whats up all. I was pretty much not wanting to get the TSB done, due to raising the rear 1". (I Like the higher front end and all). But, today after driving back from 4 Wheel Parts whse, I noticed a significant squat in the rear with only 4 stock TRD sport wheel and tires loaded w/out air. I weighed one and it was 65Lbs. That means 260Lbs caused the Leafs to lower. Even the sales man at shop said that weight should not cause that, but only to worry about it if I plan on hauling alot. So now to re-thiink the whole:
    to TSB or not to TSB.:confused:

4. Mar 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM
    jayster

jayster Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sacramento Valley, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    TOYOTA HOOD PROTECTOR, SIDE WINDOW VAS SHADES, TOYOTA TOOL BOX, OKOLE' SEAT COVERS, TSB REAR LEAF CONVERSION, DEMELLO ROCK SLIDERS, ROAD ARMOR FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, TOYOTA ROOF RACK, HIGH INTENSITY LED LICENSE PLATE LIGHT, PILOT FRONT FOG, PILOT REAR BACK UP, MODIFIED TOYOTA SKID PLATE....
    Okay..Now you guys got me worried. I have an 08' Taco DC with three leaf springs on it. It sits at 36.5" off the ground to mid fender. It seems to be stiff, but I haven't loaded it down yet. Another thing is it was built in 10/07.
    Does anyone have the part number for the weak 3 leaf springs? Thanks!

5. Mar 5, 2008 at 10:11 PM
    jayster

jayster Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sacramento Valley, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    TOYOTA HOOD PROTECTOR, SIDE WINDOW VAS SHADES, TOYOTA TOOL BOX, OKOLE' SEAT COVERS, TSB REAR LEAF CONVERSION, DEMELLO ROCK SLIDERS, ROAD ARMOR FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, TOYOTA ROOF RACK, HIGH INTENSITY LED LICENSE PLATE LIGHT, PILOT FRONT FOG, PILOT REAR BACK UP, MODIFIED TOYOTA SKID PLATE....
    Okay...I crawled under the truck, and it has a big white "CD" on the springs on both sides. They do look kinda funny tho'. The don't seem to have a very noticeable arc to them. I'll be lookin' forward to some feedback!

6. Mar 6, 2008 at 6:33 AM
    LL7

LL7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    I put 1000 pounds of concrete in the back last week and the truck rode like crap. I didn't think to check for it bottoming out, but it sort of felt like it was. I guess I'm off to the dealer.

7. Mar 6, 2008 at 7:44 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    If your wanting the TSB just because of the rear height difference, your wasting your time. The springs settle back to stock height (or pretty damn close) within two weeks. If you plan on ever lifting the truck you shouldn't get the TSB done. Unless you want to run blocks.

8. Mar 6, 2008 at 8:05 AM
    jimpavia13

jimpavia13 New Member

Member:
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DoubleCab Radiant Red
    consider this. i have 07 quad non trd with only 1500 miles. many of you think it is a good idea to get this tsb done. let me ask you this... would it make sence for me to wait until i have 30k or more miles.....so then its still under warranty and would then get 4 new shocks new leaf springs and an allignment. i dont think i will really bottom out hauling golf clubs and beer anyways... let me know what you think.

9. Mar 6, 2008 at 9:43 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Do you have any itch to do a lift? If you have even the slightest thought of getting a lift, don't do the TSB.

10. Mar 6, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    JackRabbit

JackRabbit Taco Addict

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport SR5 Dbl Cab 4x4
    mods in sig
    I don't understand you statement. I had the TSB done and I got a 3" ToyTec lift. Works great!!

11. Mar 6, 2008 at 10:20 AM
    jaredmmc99

jaredmmc99 Rule 76. No excuses, play like a champ.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD off road Black
    Im getting my 2005 Tacoma used. 42,000 miles on it and the TSB has not been done. DOes that mean that I am S.O.L.?

12. Mar 6, 2008 at 11:10 AM
    jimpavia13

jimpavia13 New Member

Member:
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DoubleCab Radiant Red
    ???????????? why would that be the case?? not sure i'm understanding, can you please clarify....

13. Mar 6, 2008 at 11:25 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    How did you do the lift? AAL or rear block?

I have the TSB done and plan on either getting 5100s to level out the truck or the Toytec 3" which is gonna force Me to do a rear 1" block. I would much rather have the 3leaf set up from Toyota and then do AAL.

Most lifts like the Toytec 3" use AAL (add a leaf) in the rear to create lift. With the TSB springs, this would create a very rough ride the most people would no like. You are forced to use a rear block which is discouraged by most off roaders.

14. Mar 6, 2008 at 11:55 AM
    JackRabbit

JackRabbit Taco Addict

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport SR5 Dbl Cab 4x4
    mods in sig
    I used blocks which are only about an 1 1/2 inches high.

You are gonna offroad your prerunner? Aren't those 2 wheel drive?

15. Mar 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM
    Johnz

Johnz Active Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab 2 WhDr - SR5 - Impulse R
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Hitch WeatherTech Matts Pop N' Lock Pioneer Deck/HD/Blue Tooth/USB
    I have an 07 Access Cab, 2WD, Manual. Does this TSB apply to the 2WD or just the 4x4's?

Thx

16. Mar 6, 2008 at 12:01 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I plan on getting the 1" block. I'd much rather have AAL though.

And yes I Off Road my PreRunner. Its 2wd, but its also locked and soon to be on some better rubber.

17. Mar 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    What model? 2wd or PreRunner?

PreRunner and 4x4 use the same suspension, the TSB applies to both.

The Regular 2wd only comes in a 4-Cyl and sits very low to the ground and uses a different suspension system. The TSB does not apply to these models.

18. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:13 PM
    Johnz

Johnz Active Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab 2 WhDr - SR5 - Impulse R
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Hitch WeatherTech Matts Pop N' Lock Pioneer Deck/HD/Blue Tooth/USB
    Its an access cab non-prerunner, 2wd.

19. Mar 6, 2008 at 4:20 PM
    frvrngn

frvrngn Active Member

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    20% tint on fronts, stock everywhere else, its a lease!
    Has anyone from Upstate SC had this TSB done? I know there are several members from around here on this forum.

I always just thought that the crappy way my Taco rode when it was loaded down with mulch, tiles, wood, etc was "normal". I have large speed humps in my development and every time I came back with something loaded in my bed, it felt like the bumper was going to scrape the ground! I was really happy to see this TSB address this problem.

But - I cant get a dealer locally to do it!! I called the local one (Greenville) since they are closer to me and supposedly ranked #1 in the Upstate for Toyota. I hate their sales people, but decided to try their service center. The guy I talked to was a complete a** on the phone. More or less he admitted to their being a TSB out after I complained about my Taco bottoming out so easily, but he said it wasnt a "Harsh Ride". I said bouncing off the bumpstops isnt "Harsh"?!? Then he said even if it did qualify for it, his service dept was "too busy with paying customers to deal with TSB's" !!! What kind of crap is that? So then I called the dealer I bought my truck from (Easley - and this is the second new vehicle we purchased there in 2 yrs) and they said they have never heard of a single TSB or issue with my year Taco (its a 2007 Prerunner DC). Riiiiiiight. They said I could bring it by some time, but they wouldnt even know how to test for the problem?!? What is with Toyota service??

So then I decide to call that 800 Customer care line. They are useless and even admit to being such. They said they cant really do anything other than call the dealership and have a customer care rep call me back. They dont know anything about TSB's, they are not service people so cant give technical advice, etc... I didnt even mention the TSB to them at first, I just said I was having issues with ride quality and my truck bottoming out too easily. When I hit a wall I then brought up the TSB and they still had no clue. Nice customer service.

So any ideas out there? I have a ton more landscape work and tile work I want to do this summer around my house. I need to be able to use my truck the way it was meant to be used!

20. Mar 6, 2008 at 4:48 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Here is what happened to me. My local dealer refused to do the TSB. I even printed out the TSB and brought it to them, no help. I called this number 1-800-331-4331, it is a Customer service number tell them the problems you are having they may or may not do it for you but if they agree they will call the dealer of your choice and tell them to do it. If they don't approve it you can still tell them the problem you are having with the dealerships being rude. Thats what I did in my case they couldn't help me but when I told them how I was treated by the dealership, needless to say the very next day my dealership called my cell phone offering to take my truck in. Just remember to be polite to the 1-800 # these ppl don't actually work for toyota. I got my TSB done at a different dealership, click on my camera to see the pic. I only have 3 springs on mine I was told that they were the 08 springs that were heavier duty. I am not certain about it but the ride is better, however I haven't loaded it down yet. I was also told that if they don't approve you on your first call just keep trying call everyday or so. They will give you a claim #. Everytime you call it will come up and they will see that you have been trying to get it fixed. Here is the # again 1-800-331-4331 Good luck.
    I have the pics posted at the top of this page.

Products Discussed in

To Top