1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got Tow Package with new Tacoma dbl cab what about Ball mount?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by auart, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Jun 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    auart

auart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Off road 2wd
    TRD OFF ROAD, Tow Package, Scanguage2, Secure Tailgate Mod, OEM Tacoma Bed Mat, Stainless Side Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Cover.
    I got the Tow Package with my NEW Tacoma dbl cab TRD Off Road Package, just took delivery last night.
    While looking through the truck, I noticed there is NO Ball Mount for the Hitch Receiver.
    I have bought 2 4runners in the past 12 years and BOTH had the Ball mount in the Vehicle in a small box. All I had to do was attach a Ball in teh size I chose and thats it.
    Does the Two Package come with the Ball Mount still or not???

Any ideas?

2. Jun 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    I didn't get one when I bought mine....::shrug:: If it's not listed on the paperwork...It's not part of the deal.

3. Jun 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM
    auart

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD, Tow Package, Scanguage2, Secure Tailgate Mod, OEM Tacoma Bed Mat, Stainless Side Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Cover.
    I was afraid of that, but my 2 4runners (one 1997 and one 2004) both came with them!

4. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    auart

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    OK... NOW I get to reading my window Sticker and under the Tow Package it says:
    V6 Towing Package: 6500 lbs
    • Max Towing Capacity, Class 4 Hitch,
    • Supplemental Oil Cooler, 130A Alternator,
    • Heavy Duty Battery, 7-Pin Connector
    • w/Converter
    SO.........the 7=pin connector w/converter===Where is this converter?
    Is this the same as the $8 7 to 4 pin adapter that all dealers sell as an accessory???
    Also, how can I be sure all this was installed?

Another part of the Sticker shows a Skid Plate but mine looks totally different than the pictures show under accessory's.

Anybody recently buy a Tow Package on a 2009???

5. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:29 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    I bought an '09 DC with a towing package. The 'converter' is actually the brake controller plug they give you in the glove box. I bought the 7-4 pin connecter from the dealer $9. I then went to lowes and bought the stainless steal 3.25" ball drop on sale for $34. I like it better than the toyta one anyway.

On the skid plate thing, all Tacoma's come with skid plates and it is listed on the window sticker. If it isn't listed in the accessories, then you just got the standard skit plate. Paint that one silver and save your self some cash.....;)

6. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:37 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    i didnt get the hitch ball or the adapter , im going to call them about it. they may have frogotten b/c i got it the day it was delivered....before they put all that dealer crap on

7. Jun 23, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    I didn't get a ball mount in my 07 that had the tow package. There are so many different variations I don't know why they would do it. My neighbor got one with is Land Cruiser though. Seems weird. He's not exactly a car person, he came up to me and said 'any idea what this is'?! Of course, I took it off him for the princely sum of...$0.

Here's how you make sure you've got it all...

Look under the hood. You should see there is a heavy duty battery under there. Look at the side of the alternator, it should say 130A on it somewhere. Look for the oil cooler - it looks like a radiator and it will be fitted in front (I think) of the radiator. The 7 pin connector will prob be in your glove box. Again, I don't know why they supply these - there are 4 or 5 different plugs used on trailers nowadays, so why are they providing an adapter for just one? :confused:

8. Jun 23, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    nasty ned

nasty ned Well-Known Member

Member:
    mass
    Vehicle:
    05v6trd access
    nerf bars ventvisor kit nose & windows
    they just come with the reciever with cap.i'm almost positive you have to buy the ball &hitch seperate. because the hitches have options to the amount of drop you want or don't depending on how level you line up with the trailer.i love dalsmthe's answer for the skid plate (paint it) why didn't i think of that ? oh'i know i'm a dumbaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

9. Jun 23, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    My 02 and 07 both came with a reciever.

10. Jun 23, 2009 at 8:01 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pflugerville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
  11. Jun 23, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    I've never heard of a vehicle having a draw bar or ball included.

Draw bars & balls vary in size and depending on what you're gonna tow, will depend on the draw bar (drop or raise) and the ball size.

12. Jun 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    Bre2tSco2t

Bre2tSco2t Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Bedrug, Access Limited Tonneau, Tailgate Clamp, Manual Pop&Lock Keyed and Painted to Match, Westin 3" Nerf Bars, 20" Chrome Wheels.
    I got one of these interchangeable ball kits. I like that I can change balls without any tools. Perfect for my occasional towing and not knowing which ball I may need.

http://www.etrailer.com/c-IBS2.htm

13. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    auart

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the info about the Tow Package stuff.
    There is a Huge Battery, I think it said 710CCA, so its plenty, the Alternator I can't tell, its hard to see down there, and I think the "Oil Cooler " you mentioned is the small little mini radiator looking thing with a couple of lines coming out of it in front of the Radiator? Anybody have a pic of what it should look like?
    Also, whats the difference with the "Oil Cooler" and the Trans Cooler? The Tow package shows a Trans Cooler as part of the package.
    The Skid Plate thing really sucks, because the Package I got, TRD Off Road , shows a Skid Plate, but how can I argue that I got the black painted one and not the much nicer one they sell as an accesorie. I think this is a ripoff!

14. Jun 25, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    That little mini radiator looking thing is the transmission cooler.

The oil cooler is kinda - unnoticable. It's a silver looking thing about 2" tall and directly underneath the oil filter on the 4.0L's I believe.

15. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:02 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Don't worry about the skidplate. All it does is act like a bug guard. There is nothing to them. If you want to look hardcore, just buy a hardcore skid plate. Next time read the window sticker more carefully and check the truck over before you leave with it to make sure it has everything you want. Unless it is listed as an accessory included with the truck, it isn't a ripoff, it just didn't come with the truck.

16. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:52 AM
    auart

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    It just isn't the same skid plate that you can buy as an accesory seperately. I would like to know if this is common.
    They list it as included with the TRD Package but it is just misleading that it is not the same as the one you can buy at the dealership.

17. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:08 AM
    jerkyman47

jerkyman47 New Member

Member:
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    just got the 2009 dbl cab taco with tow package skid plate black but I like that color since my truck is Magnetic Gray.

18. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:16 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    All 4x4 Tacoma's come with the black skid plate you received, TRD off-road trucks come with an additional skid plate behind the first one as well as a fuel tank skid plate, and a little diaper of a skid plate under the transfer case. You got the full skid plate package that comes with the off-road. What you did not get was the front bumper trim piece that Toyota sells as an accessory and calls a skid plate. The factory plates you got will offer moderate protection to a casual wheeler, but they will not stand up to repeated abuse. If you are going to wheel hardcore, then you need to forget about the factory skids, as well as the decorative piece that was not included in the purchase price of the truck and get some hardcore aftermarket skids.

As for the converter, it is already built into the truck, and the converter is not the 7-4 pin adapter, though some people have reported raising enough of a stink at the dealer claiming that was the "converter" that the dealer has given them one, it's up to you if it is worth the fight.

Everyone else already covered the coolers and the ball-mount, but in anycase, rest assured that no other tacoma owner got a ball mount as part of their towing package either.

Regards,

19. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Thank you for saving me the time to type that......:D

20. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 OFFROAD DC
    AFE Intake, URD MAF Calibrator
    i got a draw bar and pin with my hitch........but it was a reese hitch the dealer installed along with my 7 pin connector ;-)

To Top