1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GPS or Built In Nav?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Kaddy08, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:12 PM
    Kaddy08

Kaddy08 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Burbank IL
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab 2wd Prerunner SR5 OffRoad
    I was wondering if its worth it too upgrade my stereo with built in Nav, or get seperate GPS. Thanks for any replys and info

2. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:14 PM
    mitiko

mitiko Well-Known Member

Member:
    lax
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd
    thogether

3. Nov 13, 2008 at 10:10 PM
    JGUT

JGUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road Package
    2 Kicker 8" SL5, Kicker 750.1 mono amp, Kicker 200.4 amp, Kicker 6x9's front, Kicker 6.5's Rear, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, Rear view camera
    If you're gonna do a built in gps I would recommend Pioneer or Kenwood. They look nice but the disadvantage is you can't take it with you from vehicle to vehicle.

4. Nov 14, 2008 at 7:21 AM
    camsbored

camsbored Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    Kenwood DNX8120, Homelink mirror, Valentine One hardwire
    Lets see...

Stock HU + Garmin Nuvi (or equivalent) w/ 4" screen ~ $400-500
    New HU with Garmin nav software, iPod connection, DVD player,, Bluetooth, 7" screen ~ $800-1400

I went with the latter. Just depends on how much you would like those other features. I appreciate that the nav will lower the volume of music to tell me where to turn. I had a Tomtom 720 (~$450 last fall) that I used for 6 months, but as soon as I got the truck I decided I'd get an all-in-one unit. It's just nice to have all of the features there and playing nice with each other. Also, I don't have cords hanging around all over the place.

5. Nov 14, 2008 at 7:24 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Just looked in the paper and the navi's are lower than last year i saw a magellan maestro 3200 for 99.99 pretty cheap i would just get a portable if you dont want to spend much, I have a tom tom awesome navi.

6. Nov 14, 2008 at 7:44 AM
    Bassetdad

Bassetdad What if God Smoked Cannabis

Member:
    Harrison, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2001 De-Badged SR5 Access Cab 2.7 / 5m
    Access Tononu Cover AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter American Mag Wheels Bilstein 5100's Black Billet Grill Clear Taillights Perma-Tech sprayed Kennesaw Mountain Rear Bumper Michelin Tires PIAA Driving Lights PIAA Headlights Piaa Tail Light Bulbs Tinted Windows – 50% Toytech AAL URD Short Shifter Tranny - Mobil 1 Engine - Mobil 1 Custom Three Bike In Bed Rack New Toyota Undercoated Frame Clear LED 3rd Brake Light
    I bought a Navi 260 last October for $250.00 We share the GPS unit among 3 people. It tells us where to turn, while announcing the street names.

7. Nov 14, 2008 at 8:01 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Just let your girl friend/wife hold the map and give directions, same thing and free and you still get there after hearing turn around about 6 times!:D

but truly the all in one is the best way to go I like the Kenwood dnx-5120 it is a good option for around $600

8. Nov 14, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    i say separate, so you can move the gps to another vehicle on the fly, plus the built in ones will require you to run a gps antenna (not a big deal, just pointing out the differences). The portable ones are going to be a little easier to upgrade since you can take them in the house and plug them directly to the computer, and if you get a dvd player in the dash (non-nav just dvd) you can easily bypass the function that keeps you from watching a dvd while you are moving. This function is much harder to bypass on units that have navigation built in. If you are looking at pioneer ones there is a forum where guys have been doing software hacks and are able to switch between nav and dvd while moving, you can check it out at:

http://www.avic411.com/

9. Nov 14, 2008 at 9:17 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I love my Garmin Nuvi. Got it on Ebay for less than $200. Can take it to whatever car I want, plus it fits nicely on the windshiled in the corner by the driver's side window. It also has several hours of battery backup, so you can take it with you wherever. I've never had an in-dash nav, but as small as portable GPS devices are now, I don't think I'll ever shell-out the cash for in-dash.

Plus... use this deal on Ebay and save 25%!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Nov 14, 2008 at 9:29 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I fly- so I am getting a Garmin that I can use to do both flight following and road trips.

Products Discussed in

To Top