1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grab handle too short

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoBaja, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    TacoBaja

TacoBaja [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    The passenger side grab handle is too short for my wife to use. Has anyone modified theirs or swapped it out for something else?

John

2. Sep 25, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Renewing an old thread...
    The handle is also too low for a driver to see the passenger side mirror if the passenger is holding the handle. Has anyone added or moved it to straight above the window where they have them on older tacos?
    Question from mi madre's truck

3. Sep 25, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    I've never heard anyone mention that they were in a bad spot before, nor have I seen anyone move them... but if my passenger blocked my mirror, and I needed to see out it that bad, their hand would move. Just a thought... not meant to be rude.

Frank

4. Sep 25, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    side curtains on my truck won't allow me to put them over the window.

5. Sep 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Wouldn't placing it above the window interfer with the side curtains bags, which will deploy from that area?

6. Sep 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Yeah, it's just a minor inconvenience if you needed to see out of it quickly but their hand was there. Just takes time to move the hand is all. I also find it in an awkward spot as a passenger. Having it directly above the window is much more convenient (It's like that in my pre-taco)

Aha! I hadn't thought of that. :rolleyes: That's probably the reason why there isn't one. My truck doesn't have side curtain airbags so there's no interference with the handle that's there. Ah well, it was a thought.
    Thanks for the answers! :)

7. Sep 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Au contraire, the A-pillar location gives a lot more leverage than mounting above the side window. Toyota has been putting A-pillar handles on HiAce vans sold in Asia since the 1980s. Like the Taco, those vans have a high step-in height, because the seats are on top of the front wheels.

[​IMG]

8. Sep 26, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Huh, maybe it's because I'm tall so I put the seat back but then I'm so far away from the handle that I need to lean forward to grab it, hence the awkwardness. For getting in I have never used a grab handle (my height is probably to blame, again), so I'm just not used to that.

Products Discussed in

To Top