1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Greasing ball joints w/o grease zerks: Light Racing, etc.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jstanley, May 16, 2015.

1. May 16, 2015 at 12:08 PM
    jstanley

jstanley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 Pyrite Mica.
    OTT, OME, Dakar, Eaton rear locker, camper shell, Konig Six Shooters and 33" Wildpeak tires, Pelfreybilt front bumper and skids
    So, installed my LR UCAs with my lift and got to wondering about greasing them. Of coarse they don't come with grease or any zerks to grease them, so...

Just pop this into the end of our grease pump and pump the grease in.

If you don't want to poke holes in the boot, a small screwdriver can be used to pry the boot out enough to insert the needle. You may want to have someone hold it so it doesn't stab through the boot while you're pumping grease in. :anonymous:

I found the needle at Northern Tool today, less than $4 each. They also sell them on Amazon.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    Biscuits likes this.
  2. May 18, 2015 at 7:15 PM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    In all honesty that doesn't lube the joint at all. just fills the boot with grease.

3. May 19, 2015 at 5:09 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I believe what Buzzcut is saying is true . One of the seminars I went to explained that polyurethane joints were factory sealed and designed to last 50,000 miles which is considered a lifetime joint . The same goes for universal joints that are pre-lubed from the factory and then sealed with no grease zerk .
    Some guys spend the time and actually drill directly into a polyurethane universal joint trunnion and then add a grease zerk . I cant honestly say its a true fix . If the lubrication for some reason goes dry on a sealed joint , the joint in question should be replaced .
    I am one of the old school guys who believe its still best to use universal joints / ball joints etc that utilize grease zerks . Water finds a way in . If you have the ability to flush water out with a grease zerk , chances are the joint will last longer than a sealed joint . The problem with flushable joints is people dont flush them enough . Read what Spicer has to say http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3299-2-DSSP.PDF

Biscuits likes this.
  4. May 19, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    jstanley

jstanley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 Pyrite Mica.
    OTT, OME, Dakar, Eaton rear locker, camper shell, Konig Six Shooters and 33" Wildpeak tires, Pelfreybilt front bumper and skids
    Wasn't aware of that, seems hard to believe. I've seen several posts about the ball joints on these arms being short lived so figured they needed greasing. Oh well, some grease in the boot shouldn't hurt anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top