1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Greasing Drive Shaft U-Joints: A Short Writeup

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by drew02a, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Oct 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    Liem Salim

Liem Salim Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    K&N Cold Air Intake (63-Series) Retrofitted Headlights (FX-R Stage III w/ Apollo 3.0 shroud) Leer 180 Cap Custom Bed Sliders iPad Mini Entertainment System LED bed lights
    I was on the 30k service and it I can only find 3 zerk fittings. I pumped and pump and nothing would come out of my u-joint. And I know that the grease is entering the zerk because I could push on the center of the zerk and grease would come out

[​IMG]

Am i filling the right zerk? i didn't see any other zerks on the u-joint
    I have a 2013 DC

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  2. Oct 20, 2014 at 3:57 PM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    If your grease gun is working it should come out pretty easily. I had a grease gun that wouldn't build enough pressure up, so it wouldn't work. I pumped forever trying to fill those zerks. As soon as I replaced the gun it literally took two seconds per zerk.

3. Oct 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM
    Liem Salim

Liem Salim Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    K&N Cold Air Intake (63-Series) Retrofitted Headlights (FX-R Stage III w/ Apollo 3.0 shroud) Leer 180 Cap Custom Bed Sliders iPad Mini Entertainment System LED bed lights
    I went to my local Toyota dealership and they said that that my stock u-joints don't have a grease zerk and what i was greasing the propeller shaft (Drive shaft). But your filled that zerk, that i have in the photo and it came out of your u-joint?

4. Dec 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    Liem Salim

Liem Salim Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Update.... I don't thing the guy i talked to at the dealership knew what he was talking about. I saw this b/c I took a look underneath and it looking like there was plenty of grease that came out of the u-joint and sprayed all over underneath my truck, only inline with the u-joint.

5. Oct 5, 2015 at 2:44 AM
    Billy Badass

Billy Badass Active Member

Member:
    St John's Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD
    Icon Stage 2 kit Coilovers Upper control arms Add a leaf Remote res rear shocks Method Mesh MR306 machined wheels Toyo ATII 285/70/17 wheels Grillcraft MX Series upper and lower grill kit Leer 100XQ Canopy
    Gen 2's have 3 drive train zerks. You may not see the grease coming out since it can also come out of the top side sealing area. If you keep pumping you will see it eventually once the pile of grease topples over and runs down the side of the yoke.

6. Oct 26, 2015 at 1:25 AM
    Jeffrey Lebowski

Jeffrey Lebowski Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Satellite Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCSB Sport
    So, I was just under my 2015 2WD Sport. The drive shaft has no zerks. I've read the 2014 and some other years have them, but I'm out of luck. Oh well. I did see zerks on the front calipers and rear drums with their rubber caps still on - 1 each. Anyone greasing them? I searched, but didn't see anything about it. Thanks.

7. Oct 26, 2015 at 1:37 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.

Thread revival but...

The "zerks" on the calipers and drums are fittings for bleeding the brakes so no, no one is greasing those.

cryptolyme, Abmayes94 and Jcole like this.
  8. Oct 26, 2015 at 1:41 AM
    Jeffrey Lebowski

Jeffrey Lebowski Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Satellite Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCSB Sport
    Thanks. I'm a knucklehead :)

9. Feb 26, 2016 at 5:06 PM
    UtahTacoma02

UtahTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Double cab TRD Limited
    ARB front bumper, Old Man Emu suspension, on board air compressor, on board hot water converter, cb radio, safari snorkel, warn 8K lb. winch, AP rock slidders/rear bumper, gray wire mod
    Question for you guys. I greased my u joints but 2 of the 7 didn't ooze out any grease. The zerks tucked up (blue circle) into the u joints would start to ooze after just 2 pumps but the two zerks on the shaft (red circle) one to the rear and other towards the front never oozed after 10 or more pumps. Do I need to keep pumping and wait for the grease to ooze out or leave it? It doesn't appear that it is sealed and no grease will ooze out anywhere.
    untitled.jpg

10. Mar 5, 2016 at 5:05 PM
    UtahTacoma02

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    ARB front bumper, Old Man Emu suspension, on board air compressor, on board hot water converter, cb radio, safari snorkel, warn 8K lb. winch, AP rock slidders/rear bumper, gray wire mod
  11. Apr 15, 2016 at 1:51 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Bump because I'm also curious.

12. Apr 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM
    gkomo

gkomo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    I don't remember seeing that zerk circled in red. There were two on the front driveshafter (located like the blue circled one) and three on the rear driveshaft.

13. Jun 19, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    road2cycle

road2cycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sonoma County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 Limited
    I think the answer to this is that the 1st Gen has zerks on the slip yoke but on the 2nd Gen the slip yoke is sealed in a boot. When I had my 2003 no grease came out when I pumped grease into the red zerk (only had this on rear drive shaft since it was a PreRunner). I had read on another forum that no grease will ooze out and don't overfill it. I can't remember the recommended number of pumps from the grease gun for that zerk.

Nirvana and UtahTacoma02[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Jun 19, 2016 at 8:01 AM
    UtahTacoma02

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info on this, now hoping i didn't pump too much in.

Products Discussed in

To Top