1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Great car with shitty paint, what are my options?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by drewskie, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Dec 1, 2020 at 2:55 AM
    drewskie

drewskie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I just picked up one of my unicorn vehicles, a 94 Grand Cherokee with a 5 speed manual. I actually owned another one in 2001,and regret selling it almost every day. I stumbled across this one accidentally and it was a good price, so I picked it up as I still like the way they look 30 years after their inception. It runs great, interior is clean and straight, but the paint is completely fucked outside. The hood has completely faded and clear coat is peeling off, the roof panels as well, and there are a few small areas that were repaired years ago where the "bondo" is starting to crack. What options do I have other than a complete repaint, which would be worth more than the entire truck, 4 times. I inquired about wrapping but they need a good, clean straight surface, which this obviously does not have. I was thinking Maaco but feel like this Jeep deserves a little better than that, and even that is pricey for a full paint.

2. Dec 1, 2020 at 3:18 AM
    That one old guy

That one old guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4x4 2.7 Access 5spd
    Stockish
    I'm not particularly a fan of the look, it sounds like it might be a good candidate for the 'bedliner paint job'. It can be color tinted and DIY doable. That's all it got, Good luck & post pics!

drewskie[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 1, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    ksJoe

ksJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    If you're going to do DIY bedliner, you still should prep it. Sand off any peeling / failing paint and prime it with a quality primer. It doesn't matter how good your bedliner paint is, if its applied to a peeling paint it won't stay on for long.

drewskie[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top