1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GREAT NEWS FOR THROWOUT BEARING / RELEASE BEARING ISSUES!!!! V6 6SPEED

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigfro, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Dec 21, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    FTL911

FTL911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreDblCabTRDSport
    While doing a clutch job, is the pilot shaft easily removed? (I'm unfamiliar with the process)
    If not, perhaps the pilot shaft can be gound .020-.030 undersized, built up with hard chrome, and ground back to spec. This should solve the issue of the bearing damaging the shaft. The PDM kit also solves the issue, but I dont know what it costs.
    The grind, plate, grind fix can be done for approx $200

2. Dec 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    for 245, you can get the pdm kit.

3. Dec 24, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    Daniel Arthur

Daniel Arthur Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sure hope Toyota addresses this right now.

4. Dec 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
  5. Dec 24, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    MarinePhoenix2207

MarinePhoenix2207 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey (yes, there's a North and South)
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD sport
    bug/debris deflector, hose clamp mod, G4 elite fold-a-cover, Westin black nerf bars, Weathertech floor mats, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, MO951 black Moto Metals 17x9, Pop n' Lock w b/u camera, "TRD" third brake light mod, 13" black FA-series antenna, 20% front 5% rear tint, painted badges mod, rear diff breather mod, Thule 400xt Aero roof rack, Westin Sportsman black grille guard, silver pinstripe removed, Tacoma short bed bedmat, 3" Toytec Bilstein adjustable lift kit w 5100 shocks and 2" lift AAL, Redline Tuning Quicklift Plus, Rockford Fosgate sound system w/ Kenwood h/u
  6. Dec 25, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    Daniel Arthur

Daniel Arthur Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Good Idea! Subscribed.

7. Dec 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    85yote09taco

85yote09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
  8. Jan 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    71roadrunner

71roadrunner Active Member

Member:

Since you guys are the ones that most people turn to for new clutches in these Toyo's, does your tech group have an opinion on what is causing this failure (of the clutch release bearing). I mean, what is the malfunction that starts the whole process of the quill damage ? Or is it just a poor design ?

9. Feb 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    IamthePhish

IamthePhish New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phish
    Brush Guard, Nerf Bars, Rollbar, Custom Black Wheels, Window Tint, Rhino Lined Fender Flares, TailLight Covers, Painted Brakes, Custom Stereo with Custom Subwoofer Enclosure, Offroad Lighting (RollBar and Brush Guard Mount) PDM throwout bearing kit
    Ryan,

Thanks for your info on this. I to have been battling with this issue for quite some time now. I have a 05 tacoma, had the first throwhout replaced at 28,000, and now at 42,000 it needs it again. I just got done ordering a PDM unit to have this one replaced, it is being shipped directly to a repair facility to be installed

10. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:

Say good bye to that annoying noise. You will be in heaven from now on. Mine is doing so well that I forget that I did the PDM kit.

You will not regret it.

11. Feb 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    how long does it take to get to the clutch on the 4x4? Was poking around under there. Looks like quite the mess. But sometimes its easier than it looks.

12. Feb 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    I've never done it, but if I have to I will. When I took mine to have it checked out for the T/O bearing noise, the mechanic took like 2 hours or so to take it apart. I went to the back several times and watch him pull it apart and put it back together.

It did not seem hard, but what will take time is all the wiring and hoses that the tranny has hooked up to it. It will be easier if you have access to a lift and pneumatic tools...I have access to these.

13. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Pnumatics are for the hoity toity. I've got 18v of power and a good supply of elbow fluid.

But pulling back the transfer case and all.. I would guess. Took me the better part of a day to get the trans/transfer out of the rover and that comes out through the floor with a hoist.
    I've never taken a transfer case out of a conventional vehicle without taking the whole engine out.

14. Apr 6, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    bigfro

bigfro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Billy 5100 @ 1.85 + shim on L for Taco Lean Icon AAL 3 pack w Rear Overload Removed
    Well, from the original post some time has passed. I got about 8k miles on it since then. Then when in the middle of nowhere I experienced a nice loud boom followed by grind from the transmission. I was simply shifting from 6th to 5th at apx 45mph.

After the hike back to cell service the tow truck cost me 458 dollars to tow it to the dealer.

They tore it apart to find the following.

Go Toyota and Scion installed an outdated pressure plate (one previous to the recently released TSB on the clutch issue)

The clutch disk hub separated from the friction material...

Along with that I had been having grinding issues shifting into third gear. Also it would pop out of 4th on occasion..

Mine has 78k on it now and after they tore into the trans they discovered numerous problems. 3 of the syncro's are wasted, bearings are sloppy, and everything is out of spec.

It has been shifting bad since 54k but toyota stated that there was no issue back then.

Also I had done 5 TOB on this trans due to the issues with the TOB. (then that awesome sleeve came out....

Anyways.
    That is the parts list from the 05.

There have been several part changes including the syncro's input shaft and output shaft. All have issues in the 05's. This will become a major issue when people start hitting the 100k mark guaranteed. The 05 Transmissions were terrible.

Since then there have been 2 revisions of the 6speed. One in 07 and one later in 09.

If you don't believe me pull the part numbers, the current trans ends in a 2 (which is the revision).

They elected to cover 1/2 of a new transmission for me. The total out of my pocket for this event will be 2285.... I have already spent thousands on TOB's....

Not that toyota is total crap now-a-days. But the 05's Did have some major issues... Trans/Rear Diff/Compass Display/ General build quality was poor in comparison to the 04.

This truck is my baby. It goes on 3-4 camping trips a year with minimal offroading... I know how to drive a manual. Been driving them forever. I hope to get pics of the guts of the old trans to show online...

Getting sick and tired of these 05 transmission problems. Hopefully this new transmission + the sleeve / tob will fix this once and for all.

If not I am going to drive this truck right through the front doors of toyota corp...

Trans-Parts.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Apr 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    bigfro

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Billy 5100 @ 1.85 + shim on L for Taco Lean Icon AAL 3 pack w Rear Overload Removed
    Drive 75 miles to the dealer where my truck is at....

New transmission is in. Drives great..
    Dumbass's forgot to put the new TSK back in.....
    Guess what they get to do tonight and tomorrow.....

Toyota can't get anything right. I have been without my truck for 2 weeks. Toyota can lick my @ss. Last Tacoma I own.

16. Apr 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Man WTF. Toyota is just in chaos.

17. Apr 7, 2011 at 3:04 AM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    anyone know if the TOB issue will cause the truck to fail? mine has been going bad for awhile and i dont have time yet to get it fixed

18. Apr 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    mak90

mak90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road 6 spd
    TRD Exhaust, TSB springs,Weathertech mats,Bed mat, Wet Okole seat covers, TRD Pro Suspension
    Wish i had seen this, just had the clutch, tob etc. replaced at the dealer no charge would have liked to have them instal the pdm kit if i had known about it first.. i think i will ask my local repair shop how much to install the pdm kit and hope the problem never happens again!!

19. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    bigfro

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Installing a TSK kit.

A qualified shop can bust this out in about 2.5 hours.

I watched toyota do mine, they didn't even have to pull the transmission completly out. They were able to remove the rear drive shaft, transmission mouting bolts, and slide the unit back 6" after obviously unbolting it from the engine.

I can tell you one thing.

The transmissions from the new trucks 6sp shift so much better than the older 05 6sp. Syncros are better, shifts are more percise, clutch operation is even better.

New transmission rocks.

20. Aug 3, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    sub'd

Products Discussed in

To Top